Isotrentinoin for acne

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

medtrial82

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can some derm resident please reply to this situation. A 25 year old, 65kg male takes 60 mg daily Accutane for 3.5 months and then HDL Cholestol is 27, total Cholestrol is 130 and Trigliserides are 240. What are the treatment options at this point. Continue or discontinue or reduce dosage. My GP would welcome a good advise. Original schedule was for taking it for 5 months.

Members don't see this ad.

Can't really answer the question, but I have experience taking the drug.

I took three rounds of the full dose (40mg bid) over 6 months each time.

My derm decided to put me on something about 10 years ago he calls low dose. I take two (2) 40 mg Accutane pills a week and I am acne free for the most part with a break out here and there.

I have fewer side effects with the lips,etc. They still are dry but not as bad. I did stop taking it for 9 months and my lips remained chapped so it more than likely a permanent effect. But for me, it is worth the trade off.

Also, accutane will fight aging as well. I am 27 and look 21 because I have no wringles at all.

I never had any depression, suicide thoughts, etc.

I take liver tests once a year only because I want to make sure there is no damage. My derm says that low dose will not bother the liver enough. Appears thus far not to.

Maybe try the low dose and enjoy the benefits of Accutane and being acne free.

I went from a shy, no confidence guy that over the years has modeled some and some say even cocky and arrogant now. So, the psychological effects can be good as well as long as you remember not to become too confident!!

Status
Not open for further replies.