Is toronto dental anesthesia program worthwhile to apply? Are these rumours true?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anesthesiawannabe

Reaction score
Hey, so I'm a third-year dental student here in Canada, and I'm really into the idea of specializing in dental anesthesia. Based on my understanding toronto is the only school in Canada that offers this. I've been hearing some stuff about the program that's making me second-guess whether I should apply or not. I heard that students are always delayed graduation. One person who was supposed to graduate in 2023 but hasn't yet, and nobody seems to know why.There are no students in the class of 2025 and only one person in the class of 2026 because the other student quit. Does anyone know what's the reason for all of this?? I heard the instructors are rude, lack knowledge and has favortism. Is this true? I'm thinking about checking out US programs, but it'd be nice to stay close to home. If anyone has any insights or experiences with the Toronto program, I'd love to hear them. Thanks a bunch!

Members don't see this ad.

Whatever rumor you hear is 10 times less severe than the sad truth. Keep in mind that residents keep silent because they are afraid of retaliation or don't want to get in trouble or just want to graduate in peace.

So Run!

Last edited:
I heard that students are always delayed graduation. One person who was supposed to graduate in 2023 but hasn't yet, and nobody seems to know why.There are no students in the class of 2025 and only one person in the class of 2026 because the other student quit. Does anyone know what's the reason for all of this?? I heard the instructors are rude, lack knowledge and has favortism.
That’s terrible.

If this is true these providers have no place in education.

Residents quitting a program means that the program is malignant, or they are severely lacking in training.
For residents to quit or be held back is a terrible reflection for the residency program.

As a side note, I was very fortunate to have truly the best surgical and anesthesia attendings. They deeply believed they had a moral obligation to train me (us residents) to the best of their ability. They put their reputation on the line and allowed residents to operate all cases fully, even in cases with high liability, so we could obtain the best experience possible. My anesthesia attendings were also outstanding.
I’m really sorry to hear this about the program in Toronto. That’s definitely disturbing.

Reactions: 1 user
Whatever rumor you hear is 10 times less severe than the sad truth. Keep in mind that residents keep silent because they are afraid of retaliation or don't want to get in trouble or just want to graduate in peace.

So Run!
Maybe a bit of an exaggeration….

OP I’m not super familiar with the Toronto program, but I’d recommend applying to as many anesthesia programs as you can. With so few spots you really want to have as many options as possible.

Check and see if any of the US programs take Canadian applicants, I’m not sure off the top of my head.

Every program has its issues, but I’d say for the most part the US anesthesia programs are very well run and supportive of residents. It’s very rare for a resident to quit/delay graduation, but Toronto may be different. All the more reason to look at other programs.