Is this considered late in the application process?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ericado

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do most students submit their applications in Nov/December time frame? Is this considered late?

Members don't see this ad.

Short answer: not really.

Depends on the school. Some have Nov-Dec-Jan 1 deadlines (especially some of the West Coast schools), but others' deadlines aren't until Jan 15th, Feb 1, Feb 15th, or March or April. For schools with rolling admissions, the earlier you submit your application, the better, but while there are probably some early birds hoping to beat the competition, I wouldn't call it "late" until after the deadline has passed. (If you're just starting your applications and haven't lined up letters of recommendation, GRE scores, or transcripts, then I'd say you're verging on late for schools with deadlines in the next month. Get a move on!!!)

Procrastinator that I am, I didn't submit anything until January 1st, I think, yet had no problems at any of the schools (none of which had earlier deadlines). I did the apps in order of deadlines, and submitted some as late as March, though if you're more efficient than I am, you might be able to complete them more quickly. If you are just starting to put your applications together, I'd recommend doing what it takes to make arrangements for all the supporting documentation (letters, GRE, transcripts) first, since those are the loose ends that can delay applications and tend to take longer to process. Check on these until you're satisfied they've been mailed and received! Then as long as your bits (statement, forms, resume/CV) are mailed a safe margin before the deadline, you should be fine.

Good luck, and happy New Year!

Happy New Year!

its never too late, till they tell you it is. however, i was (and am) quite paranoid. i had my completed apps in by Dec 1st. i am the sort who thinks you can never be sure.. :rolleyes: just because i am paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after me..

But, for you, its not too late for all schools. However, some do have their deadlines in early to mid-Dec (these are the ones i was aiming for). but, these are few. a whole lot have their deadlines in mid Jan to mid March. you should be in time for them. make sure you get all you need for every place you are applying to at the same time. i wasted a lot of time going back and forth to get different reccos for each of the places i applied to. stupid mistake, and i suggest you don't. also, make sure you call in to have your Score reports in on time. and ensure the transcripts and reccos are also in the mail atleast 2 weeks before the deadlines.

Good Luck!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your responses. The GRE website says it may take up to 3 weeks to get additional score reports?? Is that a conservative estimate or does it normally take that long?

Thanks

Not sure exactly how long it took, since I wasn't on the receiving end for most of these, but if you're willing to suck up the extra charge and order by phone, they get mailed out pretty quickly.

ericado said:
Thanks for your responses. The GRE website says it may take up to 3 weeks to get additional score reports?? Is that a conservative estimate or does it normally take that long?

Thanks