Is this a bad 1st Semester GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scimusicgirl

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will most likely end up with a 3.47 GPA. I got a B+ for a 3hr course (honors genetics), a B- for a 4hr course (Calc II), and As in the remaining 8hr of courses. I'm double majoring in biomedical engineering and neuroscience; the latter I am completing as part of an honors program. I want to become a physician-scientist and thus will be applying for MD/PhD programs.

On the one hand I'm telling myself I ruined my chances. On the other hand, I'm trying to relax because it's just the first semester of college. How exactly should I calibrate my mindset?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
No need to freak out. My first semester was definitely my worst. All you have to do is identify what led to some of your grades being lower than you'd hoped and change your habits. If it's really your very first semester in college, you're doing fairly well in fact - I knew people who started with less than a 3.

Just try to stay balanced and give your studies the time they deserve while giving yourself some time to de-stress and you should be just fine.

Fine for the MD path. But if you want MD/PhD, you need to up your game.

I will most likely end up with a 3.57 GPA. I got a B+ for a 3hr course (honors genetics), a B for a 4hr course (Calc II), and As in the remaining 8hr of courses. I should find out for sure tomorrow, but I think I'm making an accurate estimation. I'm double majoring in biomedical engineering and neuroscience; the latter I am completing as part of an honors program. I want to become a physician-scientist and thus will be applying for MD/PhD programs.

On the one hand I'm telling myself I ruined my chances. On the other hand, I'm trying to relax because it's just the first semester of college. How exactly should I calibrate my mindset?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
As long as you do better from here out (3.8+) for the next few semesters then you should be fine. As someone who did an engineering/science double major back in UG - I will say be strategic and don't take on too much (as in multiple grade killers in one semester) at once. I can answer more specific questions via PM.

Be a scientist in how you approach your studying and grades. Maximize productivity and efficiency!

You're okay for Md but MD/PhD programs want the cream of the crop and <3.7 does not cut it

Be a scientist in how you approach your studying and grades. Maximize productivity and efficiency!

You're okay for Md but MD/PhD programs want the cream of the crop and <3.7 does not cut it

It's not as if one bad semester (especially the first) will kill my chances, right? I will definitely work much much harder next semester!

It's not as if one bad semester (especially the first) will kill my chances, right? I will definitely work much much harder next semester!
it definitely does not kill your chances. upward trends are a thing

MD/PhD programs, on top of looking for top-notch stats, look for good research as well. Research is really important for the PhD side of the MD/PhD programs. It's not all about GPA, although you should have a "good enough" GPA - say > 3.7 or so if you're from a good school.

The people on this thread were very helpful in shaping my mentality. Now I know how to approach the next several semesters. Thank you all!