Is there still 5th pathway program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shoushu

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there still 5th pathway program? Does it apply to Asian med schools?

I hear the program is cancelled by US organizations, but don't know the official word.

EDIT: researching a bit, I know it's cancelled. But are there similar programs to get US citizens back into US medical system? Maybe at least do some nice, well-recognized rotations at American hospitals? Do US teaching hospitals take IMG visiting students?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Shoushu, are you currently enrolled in a medical school overseas?
I ask this because if you are still trying to apply I can give you a bit of info on a program that I applied to and got accepted into that has the 5th year supervised clinical rotations at new york medical college. They'll give you a certificate upon completion for ECFMG certification

Last edited:
By the way I guess that was my first post... I've been lurking on SDN for a while now so I can definitely understand if that post sounded really sketchy haha!

Members don't see this ad :)
By the way I guess that was my first post... I've been lurking on SDN for a while now so I can definitely understand if that post sounded really sketchy haha!

Yes, I'm looking at programs, though I already got accepted by some. I want to get in the most suitable program. Your post does sound sketchy. Can you tell me more about the program?

I want to know: 1. the cost? In USD over each academic year and entire 5-year program?
2. How many people are doing the program? Any graduates in it? Do they get Chinese degree or the NYMC degree? Is the 5th year of rotations at NYMC an entire year? Are they core rotations (IM, Surgery, Pediatric, OBGYN) or elective rotations? Do you do any rotations in China?

Why did you choose this?

Last edited:
Yes, I'm applying. I want to get in the most suitable program. Your post does sound sketchy. Can you tell me more about the program?

I want to know: 1. the cost? In USD over each academic year and entire 5-year program?
2. How many people are doing the program? Any graduates in it? Do they get Chinese degree or the NYMC degree? Is the 5th year of rotations at NYMC an entire year? Are they core rotations (IM, Surgery, Pediatric, OBGYN) or elective rotations? Do you do any rotations in China?

Why did you choose this?

1. Cost is 17,500 per year in USD
2. Last year's class only had 10 students, this year they're aiming for 30. Since this is a pretty new program (NYMC and CMU actually just signed this agreement last year) there aren't any graduates yet so stats aren't available :( They get a Chinese MBBS degree

You do one year of rotations in China in your 4th year
here's a link, they have a lot more information on their website
http://www.bethhealth.com

I chose this because frankly, my stats aren't impressive and would definitely have a hard time getting into a school in the states, and although I did consider retaking classes and going the DO route, I thought that it would take a considerable amount of time (I'm 22 and although that isn't old by any means, I just don't wanna waste any more time).
For me, it was just better to start fresh and given that I'll come out as an IMG, I think the extra year of clinical exposure will even it out just a bit so I can at least match into some IM program which is what I wanna do, getting a cardiology fellowship as the end goal.

Edit: This company is based in Irvine, CA and they require an interview after reviewing your application. I don't know how it would work if you were out of state, but I *assume* they'd probably do it over the phone like a teleconference

Last edited:
1. Cost is 17,500 per year in USD
2. Last year's class only had 10 students, this year they're aiming for 30. Since this is a pretty new program (NYMC and CMU actually just signed this agreement last year) there aren't any graduates yet so stats aren't available :( They get a Chinese MBBS degree

You do one year of rotations in China in your 4th year
here's a link, they have a lot more information on their website
http://www.bethhealth.com

I chose this because frankly, my stats aren't impressive and would definitely have a hard time getting into a school in the states, and although I did consider retaking classes and going the DO route, I thought that it would take a considerable amount of time (I'm 22 and although that isn't old by any means, I just don't wanna waste any more time).
For me, it was just better to start fresh and given that I'll come out as an IMG, I think the extra year of clinical exposure will even it out just a bit so I can at least match into some IM program which is what I wanna do, getting a cardiology fellowship as the end goal.

Edit: This company is based in Irvine, CA and they require an interview after reviewing your application. I don't know how it would work if you were out of state, but I *assume* they'd probably do it over the phone like a teleconference

Thanks for the fast reply! I guess I'll have to talk to them some, but unless there is a great loan deal they offer, ...program is too expensive.

It may be suitable to your situation, and they get rotations problems solved. Good luck!

Last edited:
Thanks for the fast reply! I guess I'll have to talk to them some, but unless there is a great loan deal they offer, ...program is too expensive.

It may be suitable to your situation, and they get rotations problems solved. Good luck!

No problem :), make sure you email them and ask about the federal loan situation, maybe they've got it squared away by now *maybe*

has anybody officially accepted this program. After acceptance they asked to pay all of the tuition so soon! I'm wondering how everyone else is handling that.

has anybody officially accepted this program. After acceptance they asked to pay all of the tuition so soon! I'm wondering how everyone else is handling that.
Yes I've been accepted, and you do pay the first year's tuition within one week of being accepted.

Submitting my app to Beth today. Hopefully they get the federal loans by next year.