Fifth Pathway Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

byrdj

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a random question: If you attend med school in the philippines, do you have to take part in the Fifth Pathway Program in order to qualify for a residency? Or is the Fifth Pathway just another route you can take?

Members don't see this ad.

byrdj said:
I have a random question: If you attend med school in the philippines, do you have to take part in the Fifth Pathway Program in order to qualify for a residency? Or is the Fifth Pathway just another route you can take?
It's just another route. It's quite rare nowadays and very few get it. You will finish your last year of supervised clinical training from a US medical school. However, you will not get any diploma from any school (the one you left in the Phil or the US school). You will only get a certificate of completion. You still need to pass all the USMLE steps.
The other route is just graduate from the Philippines school (obtaining the 4th year clinical rotations in the US) then take your USMLE.
You can try to get the 5th pathway but at least you will still have a backup plan.

is one way better than the other? I'd rather walk away with a diploma from somewhere rather than a certificate from no where. As long as I qualify for residencies, I'm more than content to avoid the 5th pathway. thanks for your help

Members don't see this ad :)
byrdj said:
is one way better than the other? I'd rather walk away with a diploma from somewhere rather than a certificate from no where. As long as I qualify for residencies, I'm more than content to avoid the 5th pathway. thanks for your help
They are about the same, I have 2 coresidents(from UERM) who finished the 5th Pathway. Most residency program directors will recognize the certificate of completion. But you can get into residencies after finishing your MD and taking USMLE without going into the 5th pathway.