Is there institutional discrimination in ortho against East Asians?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

passacaglia918

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
At my school, there are 2 East Asian female/1 Indian guy but no East Asian guys in the entire ortho residency cohort. Is there active institutional discrimination against Asian men in ortho?

Highly considering doing research in this field next summer, but I'm not sure if it's worth jumping through additional loopholes/overcoming additional discrimination to get there.

Members don't see this ad.

Your n of 1 program seems like a pretty flawed sample.

This post is absurd.

Reactions: 3 users
At my school, there are 2 East Asian female/1 Indian guy but no East Asian guys in the entire ortho residency cohort. Is there active institutional discrimination against Asian men in ortho?

Highly considering doing research in this field next summer, but I'm not sure if it's worth jumping through additional loopholes/overcoming additional discrimination to get there.

There isn't a ton of diversity within Ortho as a whole. If you were to look at the residency profiles for all the programs, I'd venture to guess Asian men are just as well represented, if not more, than any other non-white race at programs.

As long as you personally don't have difficulty getting along with or communicating with people of different backgrounds, your concern isn't really something that should preclude you from pursuing the field.

Members don't see this ad :)
There isn't a ton of diversity within Ortho as a whole. If you were to look at the residency profiles for all the programs, I'd venture to guess Asian men are just as well represented, if not more, than any other non-white race at programs.

As long as you personally don't have difficulty getting along with or communicating with people of different backgrounds, your concern isn't really something that should preclude you from pursuing the field.
Are you saying that Ortho is primarily composed of white people? Relative to other specialties?

White men, to be exact, but this is changing.