Is there any new data (or old) that correlates preclinical GPA to board scores?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks for the advice. Ill try out BnB and LY for now and see how i like it. Might change to zanki later if i dont like LY. Yeah we do more path stuff 2nd year. We've done some now but its gonna be more later from what i hear.
Well I’ll put in a plug for doing the Zanki phys cards only for first year and then do the path as it comes up later. But hey you know your curriculum better than me so do what you think is best. The important thing is keeping up with old material however you do it. That’s really what separates out the high scorers. Despite that being common knowledge well before anki ever became a thing, everyone struggles to do it. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
It is absolutely possible to complete zanki in one year along side curriculum. But be prepared for a wild ride.

Reactions: 3 users
It is absolutely possible to complete zanki in one year along side curriculum. But be prepared for a wild ride.
I’m not sure if it’s possible for everyone. I did it in 18 months and pretty sure my sanity suffered even doing that.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
We have a spiral curriculum meaning that we do a new system every 3-5 weeks and then do it again the next year but more in depth. If i were to unlock all cardio zanki cards after finishing cardio 1, there would still be a lot of cards that i havent learned about yet and will not learn about until year 2 in cardio 2. The only way i can see myself using zanki efficiently then is to just look for specific cards, which i guess i can do but that is time consuming.

Thats why i am attracted to the LY deck more b/c its more organized with its tags, albeit less comprehensive from what i read on reddit.
Do all the cards in a given subdeck. No reason to wait for your school because you ***think*** they will cover it later. A lot of times they won't.

As I said earlier, this isn't astrophysics. Just memorize the facts early. Trust the posters in this thread. Several of us did very well.

I don’t do that either, because I’m not a loser. You probably sign emails with your BA degree and say stupid crap like “candidate of” as well. Lmao.

You’re passive aggressive tone and sentence structure is pristine, though. I’ll give you that

I sign OMS when I want to remind them that I'm from the neighboring osteopathic school. I sign MS when I get lazy. I sign nothing except my name most of the time.

Would doing LY be useful since im watching BnB, or should i just stick with Zanki? I just like how LY cards are tagged for each video.
Do LY or Zanki, not both.
Zanki is more comprehensive, LY is more streamlined. Both will likely get you a good score if you do them religiously.

I mean I see other people posting OMS1 and even emails of students signing off as an OMS1. I didn't realize it was wrong to do so.
If you use outside of your school it gives off true believer vibes. I second the MS only guy. No one said OMS till like 10 years ago anyway (you can search for old threads). It was a nonsensical attempt to create distinction where there shouldn't be any by the AOA/COCA. We are medical students, don't add anything to that unless you want to explain things to people and then immediately be compared to a chiro rather than MDs.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
I think the pre-clinical gpa vs. board score prediction thing only works for people who have done everything right in preparation for medical school since day 1 & continued to do so in medical school.

There is a large populous of med students - especially at DO schools - who didn't have their life together/didn't know what they wanted to do in early college, so they severely under-performed. 2 years of bad grades is extremely difficult to recover from in the context of cumulative gpa. If you have a 2.4 in the first 2 years of college & 4.0 in the last 2 years (assuming approximately the same amount of credit hours taken) that puts you at a 3.2, which is a poor reflection of the students' intelligence. Especially since those last couple years of pre-med are upper-level science classes.

I would bet the last 2 years of pre-clinical gpa is a better reflection of board scores than is the cumulative 4 year pre-clinical gpa; it most certainly was in my case.

I think the pre-clinical gpa vs. board score prediction thing only works for people who have done everything right in preparation for medical school since day 1 & continued to do so in medical school.

There is a large populous of med students - especially at DO schools - who didn't have their life together/didn't know what they wanted to do in early college, so they severely under-performed. 2 years of bad grades is extremely difficult to recover from in the context of cumulative gpa. If you have a 2.4 in the first 2 years of college & 4.0 in the last 2 years (assuming approximately the same amount of credit hours taken) that puts you at a 3.2, which is a poor reflection of the students' intelligence. Especially since those last couple years of pre-med are upper-level science classes.

I would bet the last 2 years of pre-clinical gpa is a better reflection of board scores than is the cumulative 4 year pre-clinical gpa; it most certainly was in my case.
we are talking about the first 2 years of med school pre clinical gpa not undergrad

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
I definitely agree. People have to be honest with themselves about their performance and abilities too. There is a big difference between someone who busts tail on their class stuff and is right around 50%ile, compared to someone who has gotten 95%+ on tests but decided that getting 85-90% and hammering board stuff is more productive and then being around the 50%ile rank wise. The second one isn't really a true 50%ile student, they just decided to focus on different things.

That's too late for Zanki. It's too big to do in one year and also do the amount of practice questions you need to do to excel.
We are basic science first year and systems second. I have just been unsuspending the relevant Biochem embryo etc as it relates to our lectures and I have 7% of Zanki done. I don’t see any reason not to study relevant cards. I guess we will see how things play out.

We have a spiral curriculum meaning that we do a new system every 3-5 weeks and then do it again the next year but more in depth. If i were to unlock all cardio zanki cards after finishing cardio 1, there would still be a lot of cards that i havent learned about yet and will not learn about until year 2 in cardio 2. The only way i can see myself using zanki efficiently then is to just look for specific cards, which i guess i can do but that is time consuming.

Thats why i am attracted to the LY deck more b/c its more organized with its tags, albeit less comprehensive from what i read on reddit.
I'm currently doing Zanki so I can't personally comment on LY

However, I do have classmates who are experimenting with both Zanki/LY and they prefer Zanki. They said the questions are more detailed and it conveniently references FA and Sketchy when appropriate. One could make the argument that brevity is LY's strength so if that's your style then it could work out better for you. I would experiment with both and see how it goes.

As others have echoed, I would only consider LY if your priority is organization and structure.

Sent from my SM-G955U using SDN mobile

Thanks for the advice. Ill try out BnB and LY for now and see how i like it. Might change to zanki later if i dont like LY. Yeah we do more path stuff 2nd year. We've done some now but its gonna be more later from what i hear.
The zanki I have has each system split into 3 decks (phys, path, and pharm) so you can always do the phys decks for each system and then when you hit it a 2nd time do the path/pharm decks. Waitin til 2nd year, like what people have said, is way too late

Would doing LY be useful since im watching BnB, or should i just stick with Zanki? I just like how LY cards are tagged for each video.
Just FYI, the newest Anking "overhaul" of Zanki now has most of the cards also tagged by BnB vids (along with FA and other resources, as well), so if that's your main/only reason for wanting to use LY (instead of just number of cards that you're willing to do overall or something), then you should check out that deck if you haven't already

The zanki I have has each system split into 3 decks (phys, path, and pharm) so you can always do the phys decks for each system and then when you hit it a 2nd time do the path/pharm decks. Waitin til 2nd year, like what people have said, is way too late
So i should switch from LY to zanki? I guess i can try to watch BnB and look for the corresponding zanki cards. I just dont like switching between sources so often... i need to pick one and stick with it and both work well but i kind of like LY more. However, zanki is much better so its a tough decision.

Just FYI, the newest Anking "overhaul" of Zanki now has most of the cards also tagged by BnB vids (along with FA and other resources, as well), so if that's your main/only reason for wanting to use LY (instead of just number of cards that you're willing to do overall or something), then you should check out that deck if you haven't already
Oh i didnt know that... ill look for the link on reddit. Unless u have it bookmarked and wouldnt mind sharing?

Oh i didnt know that... ill look for the link on reddit. Unless u have it bookmarked and wouldnt mind sharing?
I think this is the latest one (V4)

Just a heads up that I don't think they're completely done with all the BnB tagging yet, though, so hopefully that will come in the next update. For example, I'm in a Neuro block right now, and not all the vids for that subject are tagged yet, so I've just been unsuspending by First Aid, instead

• Love