Is there a doctor on board?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reactions: 1 users
It seems to happen on every international flight I take ;)

Then again, lots of things happen when/where I travel: synagogue bombing in Istanbul, earthquake in Morocco, subway bombing in Madrid, riots in Paris. I was there for all of them.

You need to post your travel schedule so I can avoid you

Reactions: 2 users
It seems to happen on every international flight I take ;)

Then again, lots of things happen when/where I travel: synagogue bombing in Istanbul, earthquake in Morocco, subway bombing in Madrid, riots in Paris. I was there for all of them.
Are you the title character in that Rolling Stones song?

I have no place commenting on this thread but nonetheless here I am. Ironically I was just watching a TV show and one of the characters talked about the 3 second rule. When someone asks for a doctor you wait 3 seconds to see if anyone else speaks up before you. Thought it was a little ironic given the nature of this post haha.

Hi as a first year resident on a plane when responding to a call for a doctor and being the only one , they took out medication that they have on the plane but are we allowed to give ( po medicine for nausea) ? Thanks

Hi as a first year resident on a plane when responding to a call for a doctor and being the only one , they took out medication that they have on the plane but are we allowed to give ( po medicine for nausea) ? Thanks

What do you mean "allowed to give"? You're the doctor, bro/bro-ette, you make the call. If you don't know what the medication is, or what the proper dose is, or if you should be giving it or not, probably best not to give it. There should also be a doctor available by phone, but you're the only one there on the plane looking at the patient.

What do you mean "allowed to give"? You're the doctor, bro/bro-ette, you make the call. If you don't know what the medication is, or what the proper dose is, or if you should be giving it or not, probably best not to give it. There should also be a doctor available by phone, but you're the only one there on the plane looking at the patient.
Thanks!
It was metoclopramide and the booklet had the dosing, she felt a little better after taking it but then was thinking in hindsight if as a resident was ok to give being we only prescribe under an attending in the hospital but there wasn't any doctors on the plane either it seemed.. i explained i'm a resident but i don't think they know outside the US what that is, all they know is Dr.

Thanks!
It was metoclopramide and the booklet had the dosing, she felt a little better after taking it but then was thinking in hindsight if as a resident was ok to give being we only prescribe under an attending in the hospital but there wasn't any doctors on the plane either it seemed.. i explained i'm a resident but i don't think they know outside the US what that is, all they know is Dr.
You’re not writing a script... and it’s her own medication.

If you're flying in a plane, exactly what "state" are you in? The one you started in? The one you're landing in? The one you're over? The one the airline is based in?

This is an excellent question! Could the state that you are in be pinpointed when the emergency began? or would it be during the emergency? what if you start in one state during the emergency and end up in another? ay ay ay!

That question is answered earlier on the thread. When in the air, its where the airline is registered. However, that doesn't matter for this issue, since it's all covered by a single federal law.

Not in this country.

The only thing I'd add is: If you do provide aid, under no circumstances should you accept *any* form of reimbursement. Good Samaritan laws protect you from liability, if and only if you do not form a business relationship with the patient. If they offer you a gift out of gratitude, say thanks but no thanks. Opens you up to liability.

I know this is old, but this thread popped back up again and I think this is an EXCELLENT point. I think laws vary state by state, but once you accept anything from them this is considered a form of payment and you can be held liable. My friend got lucky by responding to an emergency on a plane and accepted champagne and points.

I was at a restaurant in Vegas and rescued a guy choking, they failed heimlich and I was on the verge of doing an emergent crich in a fancy restaurant but cleared him in the nick of time (he was purple). The manager came up to me, wanted my room, info, etc.. and I politely declined.

That question is answered earlier on the thread. When in the air, its where the airline is registered. However, that doesn't matter for this issue, since it's all covered by a single federal law.

Indeed. For “Good Samaritan” laws, there is an equivalent federal law: Up in the Air: Responding to Medical Emergencies at 30,000 Feet

For crimes, however, in the US the plane is considered to be in federal jurisdiction from the time the doors close until the time they reopen. It’s called special aircraft jurisdiction. Where the plane is registered comes into play when it travels internationally (under the Tokyo convention, where by states it means country states).

Indeed. For “Good Samaritan” laws, there is an equivalent federal law: Up in the Air: Responding to Medical Emergencies at 30,000 Feet

For crimes, however, in the US the plane is considered to be in federal jurisdiction from the time the doors close until the time they reopen. It’s called special aircraft jurisdiction. Where the plane is registered comes into play when it travels internationally (under the Tokyo convention, where by states it means country states).
For the countries with a duty to respond, what if you are asleep? Is there any easy place to read up on relevant laws?

I know this is old, but this thread popped back up again and I think this is an EXCELLENT point. I think laws vary state by state, but once you accept anything from them this is considered a form of payment and you can be held liable. My friend got lucky by responding to an emergency on a plane and accepted champagne and points.

I was at a restaurant in Vegas and rescued a guy choking, they failed heimlich and I was on the verge of doing an emergent crich in a fancy restaurant but cleared him in the nick of time (he was purple). The manager came up to me, wanted my room, info, etc.. and I politely declined.

...except your covered on an airplane in the US regardless of whether you take the voucher or not... so take the voucher.