Is the medication consent form really necessary?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

F0nzie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is a medication consent form necessary for a private practice? Specifically, a separate sheet of paper where the patient places their signature next to each new medication or medication change?

I ask because in every setting that I have worked, this form is a requirement (except the VA).

I am trying to establish a paperless system but first I want to make sure it will be safe to omit. I would prefer to simply state in the progress note that I discussed the medication risk/benefits.

Does this form offer any legal protection?

Why is it specific for psychiatry?

Members don't see this ad.

Does the patient get to keep a copy? If so it might be helpful for the patient to keep track if there are several different meds in play.

Also, on doc I'm familiar with includes a form that also has the patient sign that they agree that he's will be the only one to prescribe these medications and that they will keep him informed of all other medications they are taking. Basically, I think he had issues with patients seeing multiple psychiatrists to get meds that should have been limited.

Is a medication consent form necessary for a private practice? Specifically, a separate sheet of paper where the patient places their signature next to each new medication or medication change?

I ask because in every setting that I have worked, this form is a requirement (except the VA).

I am trying to establish a paperless system but first I want to make sure it will be safe to omit. I would prefer to simply state in the progress note that I discussed the medication risk/benefits.

Does this form offer any legal protection?

Why is it specific for psychiatry?

I work in four different hospitals, and I've never seen this form.

I think it's a decent idea, however. Definitely agree a paperless system would be great - maybe just a tablet (we use tablets for all sorts of patient entered data around here)?

Members don't see this ad :)
I work in four different hospitals, and I've never seen this form.

Good to know. It's probably just specific to my region then. Seems kinda silly and a waste of time to have a patient write their signature for every med change. Especially since they've already signed a consent for treatment.

I use this form in the county and public hospitals. Not for every med dosage change, but we need to consent every psychotropic medication we start or continue on a patient.

CA law (as far as I know) requires written consent for every psychotropic - no matter who prescribes, inpt and out.
Though I've Never seen a non-psychiatrist do it, and rarely see outpt psychiatrists do it.

CA law (as far as I know) requires written consent for every psychotropic - no matter who prescribes, inpt and out.
Though I've Never seen a non-psychiatrist do it, and rarely see outpt psychiatrists do it.

ahhh... good to know. I was thinking about moving to CA this year. I cannot afford to right now though.

Haven't seen you on these forums in a while...welcome back!