Is stuff like invisalign going to kill ortho spec.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

datdude

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if this new invisalign (sp?) thing was going to hurt the ortho specialty? what are peoples opinions on this?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I'd have to say no to this one. Having done both invisalign and regular braces I got some experience from both. The thing about invisalign is it can't correct your bite. Braces do that for you. Also, invisalign tends to be a little more expensive than braces. So I think invisalign is a good thing and has its place in dentistry, but I highly doubt it will create big problems with orthodontics.

i really donthink it should matterv to the orthodontists, as its just another instrument used by the orthodontists themselves on their patients, and the "appliance" --(is this the right word?) will, in no way by-pass the orthodontist and take the patient directly to the general dentist! the specifications for its use specifically lists that regular orthodontic consulatation is neccessary for succesful treatment..
more info on this can be found at:
http://www.invisalign.com/US/index.html

Members don't see this ad :)
Invisalign can be done is quite routinely done by general practitioners.

In time it may lessen the profitablility of an orthodontist but it will NEVER lead to the demise of the specialty. There are many complicated cases that only an orthodontist is capable of treating and that Invisalign will never be able to do.

Invisalign can't replace conventional ortho. The detailed movements can't be achieved with invisalign. I myself am trying Invisalign on myself and have truely experienced the benefits and limits of this dental gadget.

Invisalign have limited ability to do movements that could be achieved by 3rd- order bend of wire. extrusion and intrusions are extremely difficult, torquing is almost impossible.

BUT, Ingsalign combined with conventional ortho could offer patients shorter unesthetic treatment period.

The most important thing is to learn its limit. I saw some orthodontists having done some amazing difficult cases with combination technique. I am positive about this Align company's future!