Is research important for getting into pediatric residencies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Arch-Enemy

Reaction score
I go to Penn Dental (D2) and, for some time now, I have been interested in pediatrics; namely, having the opportunity to work with special needs and those with mental/developmental disabilities. I have always wanted to do research but never got around to it in undergrad. So, I was thinking of doing it in dental school, however, would my time be better spent elsewhere to increase the likelihood of getting into a residency? I would be grateful for any input or advice.

Members don't see this ad.

I go to Penn Dental (D2) and, for some time now, I have been interested in pediatrics; namely, having the opportunity to work with special needs and those with mental/developmental disabilities. I have always wanted to do research but never got around to it in undergrad. So, I was thinking of doing it in dental school, however, would my time be better spent elsewhere to increase the likelihood of getting into a residency? I would be grateful for any input or advice.
I think the importance is probably pretty variable. Obviously, programs that have a strong research component (ie, integrated masters degree) would likely look favorably at this. Others where your research is just a check in the box for CODA, not so much.

Big Hoss

Reactions: 1 user