Is Rad Onc Still Really Competitive in 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

confusedpremed12345

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All!

I'm an M3 wanting to go into Rad Onc. I'm not the most competitive applicant (Step 1 226) at a new, low-tier MD school but I'm very interested in the field. I'm aware of the job market issue and personally I don't mind living in a rural area (I have done so before) if I can have the job that I want. I'm also aware that it's been very competitive in the past. I'm wondering if, given the recent issues in the field, it is at all possible for someone in my position to match into any Rad-Onc residencies or should I not even bother trying at this point. If I were to apply Rad-Onc, I would be dual-appling IM in case I don't match as I do realize that there is a good chance it won't happen with my step score. My goal in this scenario would be to do a heme-onc fellowship, with IM as a fallback as I do realize that heme-onc fellowships are also relatively competitive.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi All!

I'm an M3 wanting to go into Rad Onc. I'm not the most competitive applicant (Step 1 226) at a new, low-tier MD school but I'm very interested in the field. I'm aware of the job market issue and personally I don't mind living in a rural area (I have done so before) if I can have the job that I want. I'm also aware that it's been very competitive in the past. I'm wondering if, given the recent issues in the field, it is at all possible for someone in my position to match into any Rad-Onc residencies or should I not even bother trying at this point. If I were to apply Rad-Onc, I would be dual-appling IM in case I don't match as I do realize that there is a good chance it won't happen with my step score. My goal in this scenario would be to do a heme-onc fellowship, with IM as a fallback as I do realize that heme-onc fellowships are also relatively competitive.
It's not competitive anymore, although we still see a lot of excellent students match into Rad-Onc, that's likely residual from what the field used to need to match when these MS4s were MS1s. If you are a US MD who has passed everything you will match into Rad-Onc somewhere. The field has taken a nose dive in terms of competitiveness in the last 5 years and now consistently has 30+ SOAP spots. These programs would probably be happy with an average MD student. You will likely not match to a top program, but if you apply broadly I think you'll be highly likely to match somewhere.

Would not recommend going into rad onc at this point. See the rad onc forum for more details. IM -> Heme Onc is a far better path albeit harder.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi All!

Match rates for rad onc have been near 100% for the past few cycles, including those with step 1 scores in the in the 200s-220s. This happens when there are more spots than applicants (. As long as you pass med school and have no major red flags you should be able to match somewhere. The job market may not be the best right now but things can change dramatically 6-7 years from now when you graduate from residency. If the job market is similar to what it is now you will probably still have a job if you graduate from residency and pass the boards but you may be making closer to $300k right out of residency (instead of the $500k some were making in the past) and will have to be geographically very flexible.

IM -> heme/onc is a much more uncertain option. While getting into any IM program as a USMD grad isn't hard, with a 226 it may be more uncertain whether you can match into heme-onc fellowships (which at the present time remain competitive since there are many IMGs who will apply to heme-onc).

On a side note, perhaps other traditionally competitive fields like derm or ortho should also significantly increase their number of residency spots significantly to match up with the demand of students wanting to go into those fields

Match rates for rad onc have been near 100% for the past few cycles, including those with step 1 scores in the in the 200s-220s. This happens when there are more spots than applicants (. As long as you pass med school and have no major red flags you should be able to match somewhere. The job market may not be the best right now but things can change dramatically 6-7 years from now when you graduate from residency. If the job market is similar to what it is now you will probably still have a job if you graduate from residency and pass the boards but you may be making closer to $300k right out of residency (instead of the $500k some were making in the past) and will have to be geographically very flexible.

IM -> heme/onc is a much more uncertain option. While getting into any IM program as a USMD grad isn't hard, with a 226 it may be more uncertain whether you can match into heme-onc fellowships (which at the present time remain competitive since there are many IMGs who will apply to heme-onc).

On a side note, perhaps other traditionally competitive fields like derm or ortho should also significantly increase their number of residency spots significantly to match up with the demand of students wanting to go into those fields
I don't think your step scores matter that much for heme onc, if you get into a half decent university program, you can match heme onc

Rad onc is straight up failing to fill dozens of spots per year at this point. If you are a USMD with a pulse and no red flags you have essentially a 100% match rate.

Hi All!

Any US MD can match rad onc now if they do a rotation and even demonstrate remote interest. There are people who matched in the SOAP who never set foot in a rad onc department ONE. SINGLE. TIME.

If you don't mind rural you will most likely find a job, but it may not be in the geographic location you want. I dislike living in a metro area and still almost had to take a job on the other side of the country from my family. Do not take for granted what kind of toll that can take on you (or your spouse/children). Also... be prepared to take an awful job out of residency just to be employed... then maybe lateral to a job you truly desire at some point over the next few years. That's what myself and most people have been doing.

Rad Onc will pretty much only offer 1 of 3 these days, and that is lifestyle. In 2020 CMS removed the direct supervision requirement for radiation therapy, meaning your presence is no longer necessary for them to collect revenue from treatment. That was falsely propping up the job market and compensation in rural areas. It will always be a good job, but don't expect to have your pick of geography or be compensated well for how much it takes to get boarded (4 board exams).

Knowing what I know now, there's no way I would pick this unless you could guarantee I ended up exactly where I did. If I had to go back I would choose Heme/Onc. If I had to re-train now; I'd do IR just for the sake of having a procedural skill (and could also start doing my own biopsies).