Is Podiatry School Worth It?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Remy Lebuea66

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Please do not automatically dismiss this thread.

I have been admitted to DMU's DPM class of 2017, beginning this August. I have everything set and ready to go, apartment, roommate, etc., however, I am having last minute reservations.

After seeing all the news related to shortage of residency positions this year and the decreasing influence of podiatry in the medical field I am seriously questions whether or not to move to Des Moines in August.

By the time I begin residency, and that is if I can even obtain one, I will be close to $300,000 in debt. I know people say pursue your dreams but at some point I must ask, is it worth it in the end? To work that hard, to sacrifice to much time to maybe take home $60,000 a year after you deduct taxes, malpractice insurance and a whopping student debt load?

I was just wondering if anybody else has the same reservations or if any body can share their thoughts. I would highly appreciate it. Thank you so much.

Members don't see this ad.

decreasing influence of podiatry in the medical field

please elaborate on the decreasing influence of podiatry in the medical field...

I really want to say that you are one of the poor souls from the uncensored podiatry forum. One of the guys that makes a new name and starts some sort of thread like this. Then there is this downward spiral within a few weeks. You do the same old song and dance, there is mention of "pod speak", and are banned.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't get the uncensored vibe, but I do agree with that OMG has called you upon - why do you believe podiatry's influence has declined?

Here's my thing - you are questioning the financial wisdom. That's great. I think everyone should do so. Post-graduate medical degrees and the doors they open are a wonderful thing, but the debt:income ratio can make them financially untenable. If this is something you are that concerned about then I think you should look at your numbers and work on budgeting. I will be no where close to $300,000 in debt. In addition, the "expenses" you discuss are all over the place. Some of them are practice expenses (malpractice) while others are pre-tax (taxes) and others are post-tax expenses (student loans). I say this not to be a dick or because I really have a grasp on it, but just to warn you about being reactionary. Become financially literate - try and have an idea what sort of income you would need to pay it off. Be wary of anyone who says this is a high paying profession. There is some reasonable evidence that starting pay in podiatry is not that high. There's other evidence that says the pay improves.

If you are going to back out - now is the time. I wish you all the best.

Have you told your roomate? It would be seriously messed up to screw them in their living situation this late in the game. Orientation is only 7 weeks away...

Pod influence and standing in the medical field has only INCREASED. Some examples are NY finally passing scope to include ankles and some states making surgery done on the foot solely for a cosmetic reason legal.

I feel like what you are experiencing is not completely out of the norm. It's the fear of finally realizing that your life is about to be set in stone since when you start school, there really is no turning back. This is such a contrast to undergrad when you can still choose what you want to major and what career you want. Everyone goes through that moment of "oh sh**, do I really want this?"

It's totally normal.

Whenever I get these thoughts, I just ask myself "Jonod1107, have you done your research on Pod? Do you know about the benefits and weaknesses of your field? Ok... now, lets say you do not go to Pod school, what the hell are you going to do otherwise as a career?"

Now, if you have a good answer to that last question, then maybe you should look into withdrawing. You have 100% all in when you step into that classroom on day 1.

Hello,

Please do not automatically dismiss this thread.

I have been admitted to DMU's DPM class of 2017, beginning this August. I have everything set and ready to go, apartment, roommate, etc., however, I am having last minute reservations.

After seeing all the news related to shortage of residency positions this year and the decreasing influence of podiatry in the medical field I am seriously questions whether or not to move to Des Moines in August.

By the time I begin residency, and that is if I can even obtain one, I will be close to $300,000 in debt. I know people say pursue your dreams but at some point I must ask, is it worth it in the end? To work that hard, to sacrifice to much time to maybe take home $60,000 a year after you deduct taxes, malpractice insurance and a whopping student debt load?

I was just wondering if anybody else has the same reservations or if any body can share their thoughts. I would highly appreciate it. Thank you so much.

So obviously some people are biased about how terrible it is from their past experiences. This being a podiatry forum, there will also be a big bias about how great it is as well (as the previous poster should also realize). The best thing to do now is ask the pods/docs that you shadowed. They will give you a straight answer...

As for my opinion: it is normal to experience the doubt before any big situation in your life. If you listen to the biased negativity from people like the guy who just posted, you will avoid the debt and all risk, but at what cost if this is what you want to do? Just because someone else had trouble with finances or with curriculum doesn't mean you will. Outside of this forum, I have found more podiatrist doing well then those struggling. Inside the forum, the trolls tend to run wild and are very sensitive if anyone dares says something against what they believe. So take it all with a grain of salt both ways. With that being said, I hope to see you in class!

Reactions: 1 user