Is performance in high school dissections indicative of surgical potential?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BostonEmergencyMed

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wuddup brahs

So I have a fetish for neurosurgery. The idea of tampering with the organ most crucial to human functioning is fascinating to me. I also like the fact that I will have an ENORMOUS impact on my patients as a neurosurgeon. This isn't to say that you can't have an impact on your patient working in primary care, but removing a life threatening tumor from a patient's head would make me feel better than prescribing Motrin for their headaches.

Only problem is I suck at dissections. I'm a senior and we just dissected a lil' squid in Marine Bio. I crushed its eye by accident and had trouble locating organs. When I did do something right it was only to find that my peers had done the same thing only 5 minutes before me.

I know a dead squid isn't the same thing as a human brain, but is this really a good indicator of whether or not I will make a good surgeon? I figure if I have trouble pulling out the heart of a dead squid, I will DEFINITELY have trouble pulling out a tumor in a live person.

THOUGHTS?

Members don't see this ad.

Def. stick with FM. Go! Change the world with Motrin scripts.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Wuddup brahs

So I have a fetish for neurosurgery. The idea of tampering with the organ most crucial to human functioning is fascinating to me. I also like the fact that I will have an ENORMOUS impact on my patients as a neurosurgeon. This isn't to say that you can't have an impact on your patient working in primary care, but removing a life threatening tumor from a patient's head would make me feel better than prescribing Motrin for their headaches.

Only problem is I suck at dissections. I'm a senior and we just dissected a lil' squid in Marine Bio. I crushed its eye by accident and had trouble locating organs. When I did do something right it was only to find that my peers had done the same thing only 5 minutes before me.

I know a dead squid isn't the same thing as a human brain, but is this really a good indicator of whether or not I will make a good surgeon? I figure if I have trouble pulling out the heart of a dead squid, I will DEFINITELY have trouble pulling out a tumor in a live person.

THOUGHTS?

I have friends in medical school who had trouble with cadavers in anatomy lab during undergrad. Focus on doing well in college and if come out of college still wanting to be a neurosurgeon, you'll make it possible.

I hope this post is a joke... Seems like it is

Reactions: 2 users
Wuddup brahs

THOUGHTS?

Unlikely.

And just a fyi that you have a bit of an unrealistic view of neurosurg

Neurosurgeons have some of the worst outcomes of any specialty overall. Many of your patients end up vegetables for the rest of their lives, having constant seizures, losing a massive amount of their pre-surgical functioning, etc. As to whether being able to dissect a squid with no training is at all indicative of your ability to dissect a living person and put them back together successfully...
Ja4d9_s-200x150.gif

It should also be noted that "having a fetish" for "tampering" with people's important bits shouldn't be an impetus for going into any part of medicine- people aren't toys to be tinkered with, it just really isn't a good way of looking at things.

Reactions: 8 users
Let's focus on Undergrad before we start having fetishes for neurosurgery

It should also be noted that "having a fetish" for "tampering" with people's important bits shouldn't be an impetus for going into any part of medicine
Wait so I shouldn't be a urologist then????? :p

Reactions: 12 users
No.

Wuddup brahs

THOUGHTS?

Members don't see this ad :)
you won't become a neurosurgeon, but that has nothing to do with your inability to dissect a squid.

As someone who did have a life-threatening tumor removed - if my surgeon had your attitude, I probably would've just left it in there.

Reactions: 1 user
As long as you rewrite the procedure in your own words you should be good

Ben Carson abused marijuana during his medical career and therefore his accomplishments are void. You can still see the impact his marijuana use had on his cognitive abilities to this day.

TRUMP 2016

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN

Aaaaaaaaaaaaand were done here.

Reactions: 5 users
Ben Carson abused marijuana during his medical career and therefore his accomplishments are void. You can still see the impact his marijuana use had on his cognitive abilities to this day.

TRUMP 2016

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN

Someone drive this thread into the middle of squid-infested waters and never talk about it again.
fisherman-outboard-boat-lg-clr.gif

Oh my god.

This is amazing. This and the trump thread may be the best of SDN in the past few months.

TRUMP 2016

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN

WAT

TRUMP 2016

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN
Be more subtle dammit. You were off to a good start too :(.

TRUMP 2016

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN
Aaaaaaaaaaaaand were done here.

The Trump wave cannot be denied! It will help restore US to its mighty glory because a Trump win is America's Trump Card.

378bc2a0-4376-0133-9d86-0af7184f89fb.gif

And obviously this as well

666cf080-4374-0133-9d85-0af7184f89fb.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.