Is Optho Realistic for me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sonpat

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! Currently a 3rd year freaking out about grades and being unmatched! Stats are below

MS3 at a USMD School
Scores: 260 Step 1
Pre Clinical: Did well, All A's
Clinical Years: so far Honors in Peds/ OB GYN and High Pass in IM. Neuro
AOA: Not sure yet especially with 2 HP already (and in IM of all things)
Research: 5 posters (1 at ARVO, 2 at ASCRS, 1 cardio poster, 1 optho poster for a school AOA Research Day) , submitted 2 articles for publication review (one optho one cardio) but not sure if they'll be accepted
trying to maybe get involved with 1-2 more projects
ECs: Volunteer as a youth leader for my religious organization, member of acapella team, Anatomy Tutor though my med school , HAH honors society
LOR: none yet, gonna try and get 1 from surgery and 2 from optho sub-i's

I need straight talk , I don't think I'm strong in research and I'm really freaked out about a HP in IM because it's a core. I'm gonna try and do two optho sub-i's before applying. I'm worried because I go to a school with a strong optho program and there are ALOT of people with much more research applying from my year

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am a current M2, but posts like this make me wonder if 1 HP seriously is that bad? From my perspective, I feel like you have a lot going for you. I am aware that ophtho is very competitive, but does1 HP warrant worries about being unmatched??

I get OP's worrying about research a little better, but I feel like he/she still has time to grind out research and augment the research department.

Last edited:
I am a current M2, but posts like this make me wonder if 1 HP seriously is that bad? From my perspective, I feel like you have a lot going for you. I am aware that ophtho is very competitive, but does1 HP warrant worries about being unmatched??

I get OP's worrying about research a little better, but I feel like he/she still has time to grind out research and augment the research department.
No 1 HP isn't an issue. Even all HPs likely won't be an issue. Getting AOA may matter

Reactions: 1 users
No 1 HP isn't an issue. Even all HPs likely won't be an issue. Getting AOA may matter
yaaa i'm worried about AOA. and turns out I got a HP in neuro as well so now i'm officially freaked

• Okay...
Reactions: 1 user