Is my MCAT-GPA combo competitive enough?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Saintman41

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I made a 502 on my MCAT (125/124/125/128) and have a 3.8 overall and 3.8 science GPA. I've accepted the fact that MD isn't a favorable option for me, but are my stats competitive enough for DO school? If anyone wants me to post my current hours (shadowing, clinical, non-clinical) as well as other activities I'm more than happy to if that will give them a better idea.

Members don't see this ad.

You will certainly be able to receive IVs from the majority of DO schools, however, getting acceptances depends on other factors such as your interview skills and luck :D

Reactions: 3 users
Your stats are fine for DO although not exceptional as the above poster seems to imply. The current matriculant average is about 504/3.5. What are the other details of your application?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
As for MD you can at least try your state school(s). However, the rest of your app is probably more important than just the numbers.

Your stats are fine for DO although not exceptional as the above poster seems to imply. The current matriculant average is about 504/3.5. What are the other details of your application?
Non-Clinical volunteering:
Food packing center for children in need - 46 hours currently, still active so more hours to come
Equestrian therapy center for disabled children - 50 hours
Reading tutor for inner city children - 12 hours but still active

Clinical:
MA internship for ophthalmologist - 72 hours
Blood pressure drives for homeless - 10.5 hours but still active
I finally got two volunteer positions for a free clinic in my area as well as one at an UrgentCare near me. 3 hours at each location starting this week, so 6 hours a week now.

Shadowing:
12 hours from same ophthalmologist
Currently waiting to hear back from a sports medicine physician, but UrgentCare has mentioned I might be able to slip in shadowing after a few weeks of volunteering.

Leadership:
Blue Goose Cantina - worked there for a little less than a year, but they were happy with my work ethic and gave me more responsibilities quickly. I helped with the scheduling of the bus boys as well as training new employees. (1000+ hours)

Director of Innovation for a club- Still active with 20 hours currently. I work with members of the innovation department to work on projects that can help homeless communities throughout America while coordinating with several chapters.

Hobbies:
Fishing
Weight-lifting
Reading
Hiking

Employment History:
Besides the previous two jobs I mentioned, I worked at Target for seasonal last year and currently work there again for seasonal.

Scholarships/Academic Achievements:
Won a $2,500 scholarship at my school during my junior year.
President's list and Dean's list multiple times (as most pre-meds I assume so nothing special)

No research.
Before posting this I clearly lack hours in clinical and shadowing, but my clinical should see a massive jump in the next 5-6 months. I'm hoping that my shadowing can reflect that as well.

Non-Clinical volunteering:
Food packing center for children in need - 46 hours currently, still active so more hours to come
Equestrian therapy center for disabled children - 50 hours
Reading tutor for inner city children - 12 hours but still active

Clinical:
MA internship for ophthalmologist - 72 hours
Blood pressure drives for homeless - 10.5 hours but still active
I finally got two volunteer positions for a free clinic in my area as well as one at an UrgentCare near me. 3 hours at each location starting this week, so 6 hours a week now.

Shadowing:
12 hours from same ophthalmologist
Currently waiting to hear back from a sports medicine physician, but UrgentCare has mentioned I might be able to slip in shadowing after a few weeks of volunteering.

Leadership:
Blue Goose Cantina - worked there for a little less than a year, but they were happy with my work ethic and gave me more responsibilities quickly. I helped with the scheduling of the bus boys as well as training new employees. (1000+ hours)

Director of Innovation for a club- Still active with 20 hours currently. I work with members of the innovation department to work on projects that can help homeless communities throughout America while coordinating with several chapters.

Hobbies:
Fishing
Weight-lifting
Reading
Hiking

Employment History:
Besides the previous two jobs I mentioned, I worked at Target for seasonal last year and currently work there again for seasonal.

Scholarships/Academic Achievements:
Won a $2,500 scholarship at my school during my junior year.
President's list and Dean's list multiple times (as most pre-meds I assume so nothing special)

No research.
Before posting this I clearly lack hours in clinical and shadowing, but my clinical should see a massive jump in the next 5-6 months. I'm hoping that my shadowing can reflect that as well.

As you say, you definitely want clinical hours. I would recommend a clinical job.

Also need primary care shadowing if applying for DO. About 50 hours of total shadowing with most hours from primary care is the goal. I would aim to work with a DO so you can be comfortable talking about the DO philosophy and OMM if it comes up during essays and interviews. The DO philosophy in practice is NOT what's listed on wikipedia or even the copy on DO school websites. It really helps to talk to a practicing DO to find the right verbiage.

I would shoot for closer to 200 volunteer hours.

They say research isn't important for DO but since your stats are more or less average, it may behoove you to check all the boxes.

Are you a TX resident? It looks like Blue Goose Cantina is a Texas establishment. I only know what I've read on sdn but I think TX residents need to be more competitive. Basically, your tuition is lower so competition is fierce. Out of state schools are more reluctant to accept a TX resident because they assume you'll try your hardest to get into a cheaper in-state TX school.

I've noticed most applicants have a category with an exceptional amount and quality of experience (400+ hours of "impressive" experience such as first authorship, president of an organization, military experience, college athletics, professional work experience). I see you have a work history with significantly more hours than the "average" premed. It may be considered in higher regard if you get clinical job in addition to or instead of retail & food service jobs. I'm empathetic; I paid my way through undergrad working in food service because the pay was better than scribing. My 10,000+ hours of FOH experience developed my interpersonal skills, communication, etc and probably helped me present as mature, professional and thoughtful. But my experiences working in the medical field gave me more tangible things to say on applications.

Reactions: 1 users
As you say, you definitely want clinical hours. I would recommend a clinical job.

Also need primary care shadowing if applying for DO. About 50 hours of total shadowing with most hours from primary care is the goal. I would aim to work with a DO so you can be comfortable talking about the DO philosophy and OMM if it comes up during essays and interviews. The DO philosophy in practice is NOT what's listed on wikipedia or even the copy on DO school websites. It really helps to talk to a practicing DO to find the right verbiage.

I would shoot for closer to 200 volunteer hours.

They say research isn't important for DO but since your stats are more or less average, it may behoove you to check all the boxes.

Are you a TX resident? It looks like Blue Goose Cantina is a Texas establishment. I only know what I've read on sdn but I think TX residents need to be more competitive. Basically, your tuition is lower so competition is fierce. Out of state schools are more reluctant to accept a TX resident because they assume you'll try your hardest to get into a cheaper in-state TX school.

I've noticed most applicants have a category with an exceptional amount and quality of experience (400+ hours of "impressive" experience such as first authorship, president of an organization, military experience, college athletics, professional work experience). I see you have a work history with significantly more hours than the "average" premed. It may be considered in higher regard if you get clinical job in addition to or instead of retail & food service jobs. I'm empathetic; I paid my way through undergrad working in food service because the pay was better than scribing. My 10,000+ hours of FOH experience developed my interpersonal skills, communication, etc and probably helped me present as mature, professional and thoughtful. But my experiences working in the medical field gave me more tangible things to say on applications.
Thanks for the feedback! I am a Texas resident. I'm not very competitive for the big name Texas schools based on my MCAT but may have better odds with TCOM and UIWSOM I hope. I can definitely reach 200 hours for non-clinical and clinical volunteering, each. Also, I'm currently doing my hep B series in order to scribe, so it will take time before I can get a clinical job. Target is just temporary so I can bring in some money in the mean time ($15/hour has been treating me well for now). Thank for taking enough time to articulate your suggestions to me, hopefully I can look back on this advice one day and say it helped me get into a program.