Army Is MEPS physical conducted by military personnel or private?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

darknightzzz

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am getting ready to do MEPS soon. One question I want to ask is

Is MEPS physical exam done by private or military personnel?

is it really crowded at the clinic where it is done? how thorough do they check you?

Members don't see this ad.

Most of the ancillary staff are enlisted. Most of the docs are retired military. Yes it's crowded.

How it's done: Everyone line up. Everyone move to station (vision, or hearing, or physical exam, etc.) Everyone wait your turn. Everyone line up. Everyone move to next station. Everyone wait your turn. And repeat.

Most of the ancillary staff are enlisted. Most of the docs are retired military. Yes it's crowded.

How it's done: Everyone line up. Everyone move to station (vision, or hearing, or physical exam, etc.) Everyone wait your turn. Everyone line up. Everyone move to next station. Everyone wait your turn. And repeat.
i see thank you so much

do you think they spent a good time to meticulously check you for illness or if you pass a certain threshold they pass you?

for example my vison with 5 diopter glass gives me 20/20 vision for both eyes. do they use machine and the try on glasses to refract me again?

Members don't see this ad :)
You pretty much self explain any illness/injury/scars on a "Form" while playing the hurry-up-and-wait game. So, when you get to the vison part, they read what you have told them and adjust fire from there.

For vision, I'm sure that there is some sort of standard, but what it is, I have no idea. I'm a couple years older than dirt, but it seems that when I went through it in the stone age, it was the same as the vision screening we got in school. Basically an eye chart, color charts and a big rush to get to the 50 guys standing in in line in their Fruit of the Looms behind me...

Do we know if we fail or pass the MEPS the day of?

Usually. However, if something pops like an old surgical scar, they may want you to come back with documentation or, possibly apply for a waiver for hearing or eyesight. I was truly schocked at how many people don't clean their ears (no less than 15) and needed to go to an ENT down the street to get it done.

wowww
this is not what i expect

so it was very rushing and trying to do everything at once. i see

thank you so much for the head up. i really appreciate it

Usually. However, if something pops like an old surgical scar, they may want you to come back with documentation or, possibly apply for a waiver for hearing or eyesight. I was truly schocked at how many people don't clean their ears (no less than 15) and needed to go to an ENT down the street to get it done.

so for hearing and eyesight, if you pass their limited threshold by a bit, you can applyf or a waiver?

I thought the requirements were set in stone, once they are crossed, you got automatically disqualified.

You can ask for anything to be waived, doesn't mean it'll happen

Reactions: 1 user
If i have a slight hearing loss problem and wear contacts, can that cause me to be rejected at meps?

If i have a slight hearing loss problem and wear contacts, can that cause me to be rejected at meps?
I was active duty Air Force for 8 years and in the guard now on the enlisted side. Contacts are no problem, but if you want to be a flight surgeon or on flight status you need to be correctable to 20/20, but wear glasses when you go to MEPS. There's a depth perception test too that is notoriously difficult that's needed for a flight physical. I don't know what the standards for hearing are, but I don't recall them being all too stringent. In the end though you won't really know until they test you.

Do you have to do any running, physically exerting tasks at the MEPS physical?