Medical Is mentioning that my ultimate goal for being a doctor is to treat patients suffering from the effects of steroid abuse a bad idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoSpursGo

SDN Chief Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello I became interested in the fitness industry when I started going back to the gym after college and as usual when I became interested in something, I researched alot about it. I researched alot about steroids and the long term effects they have on the body and would like to primarily treat people suffering from this. I have never done them myself but growing up with a physical disability that I have overcome I can emphasize with people that turn to them in order to cope with traumas that occurred through childhood and adolescence. A doctor that primarily treats patients with these issues did a study and found out that over half of the people that use these are not comfortable bringing it up with their pcp due to fear of being judged, or lack of knowledge about it on account of the doctor. Is this something I should mention to medical schools in my personal statement? I would like to specialize in internal medicine and then sub specialize into endocrinology and run my own clinic.

I am personally drawn to this due to my interest in fitness, the patient population, and the effects of steroid abuse on long term health like need for trt and other health effects.
I don’t think I would get that specific, but you could mention it as one experience that got you interested in medicine

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you I'll just mention that this patient population interests me due to my history of cerebral palsy and going to the gym and this patient population is under treated in America
No need to get that specific saying you want to have a clinic treating a patient suffering from taking steroids. Mentioning it as something that prompted your interest in medicine would work though. Basically, your interests during medical school are likely to change.

Thank you so much! I'll mention it as a interest in like a sentence or two in my personal essay. I'm kind of having writers block on my personal statement. I talked to an adcom from louisville and she told me to focus more of my job as a pca and how that makes me want to be a doctor, but the rest of it is hard for me to write for some reason.
Here's an idea: take out your phone and turn on the voice recorder convert those into text. Then transfer that to a Word document and then edit

Status
Not open for further replies.