Is July 18th too late to submit AMCAS Primaries??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chloe1224

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the June 18th MCAT and am waiting for my score ( July 17th). Non-trad applicant and don't really have the money to shell out if my score isn't here I need it to be..... Will submitting my AMCAS on the 18th of July really hinder my chances? ( all other factors aside...gpa, mcat score etcc.. lets assume its optimal in each area) :bored:

Members don't see this ad.

Not as early as some people might want theirs to be. But I'd argue that it's not late enough to be a significant cause of not having any acceptances a year from now (just in case that ends up happening, since it does happen to most people)

I'm 100% speculating here but I think a hypothesis that deserves research is that students who apply late may tend to be without acceptances for not only timing, but other things affected by procrastination (I wonder if there is any data about the average GPA of the late vs early applicant)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I took the June 18th MCAT and am waiting for my score ( July 17th). Non-trad applicant and don't really have the money to shell out if my score isn't here I need it to be..... Will submitting my AMCAS on the 18th of July really hinder my chances? ( all other factors aside...gpa, mcat score etcc.. lets assume its optimal in each area) :bored:
Your submission on July 18 would still be "on-time," aka, "not late."

Hopefully, you are spending the wait pre-writing Secondary essays so your turn-around time upon being invited to submit Secondary applications will be minimal.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your submission on July 18 would still be "on-time," aka, "not late."

Hopefully, you are spending the wait pre-writing Secondary essays so your turn-around time upon being invited to submit Secondary applications will be minimal.

Thanks so much for the feedback. Unfortunately I have not started, but I will still ensure it is a short turnaround time.

Btw scores for the June 18th MCAT will be realized the July 19th not the 17th

As someone mentioned before, get started on those secondaries so you can submit them as soon as you get them. I imagine you'd be verified and receive secondaries around mid August, so have everything ready to go.

For the gazillionth time, no. You'll be helped a lot in this process if you simply took the time to read some of the stickies.

Reactions: 2 users
Not as early as some people might want theirs to be. But I'd argue that it's not late enough to be a significant cause of not having any acceptances a year from now (just in case that ends up happening, since it does happen to most people)

I'm 100% speculating here but I think a hypothesis that deserves research is that students who apply late may tend to be without acceptances for not only timing, but other things affected by procrastination (I wonder if there is any data about the average GPA of the late vs early applicant)

I could see there being a trend between the two. However, you may also want to consider what other responsibilities of the applicant (ie. Financial) affect timing. Perhaps having to take care of yourself and pay out of your own pocket as well as rent, health insurance, etc etc could affect timing.

• Love
As someone mentioned before, get started on those secondaries so you can submit them as soon as you get them. I imagine you'd be verified and receive secondaries around mid August, so have everything ready to go.
just a quick question... How can you know what questions would be on the secondaries in order to get started early?

just a quick question... How can you know what questions would be on the secondaries in order to get started early?
Read the school specific threads. Most schools have sent out secondaries so they are there.

Reactions: 1 users
I could see there being a trend between the two. However, you may also want to consider what other responsibilities of the applicant (ie. Financial) affect timing. Perhaps having to take care of yourself and pay out of your own pocket as well as rent, health insurance, etc etc could affect timing.
I could have submitted June 7th but I keep changing my PS to be better, etc. I think that maybe the students who submit in the middle might have the most polished ones...? Lots of people here who submitted ASAP have mistakes in their apps etc

If you have good scores, it is not too late. You'll get in most places.