Is it worth getting an Ipad for medical school over a laptop?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kkl2018

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's time for me to get a new laptop but im seeing a lot of people using Ipads for notetaking.

Is it advantageous to use an ipad over a laptop? or should i be fine with a laptop?

Members don't see this ad.

Hell, I'd get both if you can afford it. I don't feel guilty investing into anything that will ease my education at all. I went through many ways of studying(including digital note writing), and circled back to loose leaf paper and a laptop.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
My school gave us iPads. Mine is currently used for streaming and guitar tabs.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
No no no no no no no

If you have to choose between the two, definitely go laptop. Nothing against iPads, they just aren't as useful imo.

I thought I was gonna be taking all my notes on a tablet and after a week of that I realized it was way easier to just make Anki cards.

I'll take a good laptop over any iPad. Like the above poster, my iPad is pretty much only for streaming and watching YouTube while I cook.

Reactions: 1 users
i am grateful for the consensus here haha. thanks everyone that makes a lot of sense.

Reactions: 1 user
i am grateful for the consensus here haha. thanks everyone that makes a lot of sense.

Although I think a laptop is essential, there were people in my class who took notes on their ipad and they were very successful too. However, we did have assigned laptop so the ipad was just extra. Don't be afraid to try different things if one way doesn't work.

Definitely check with your school about what requirements there may be for test taking, etc - We could only take some of our exams on an actual computer, tablets weren't supported.