Is it weird to want to be a urologist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ndi_amaka

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
As a female med student, is it weird of me to want to be a urologist?

I have checked out urologymatch.com and I really like what I read. I have only met one urologist and he was a very nice funny guy. I don't know if that is a reflection of the majority of that specialty, though.

What motivates people to want to pursue urology?

This is probably silly, but should I be a tadbit worried about perverted male patients hitting on me?

Members don't see this ad.

if a patient is perverted, they are going to hit on you irregardless if you are in FP or in uro. many men, in my opinion, are uncomfortable with some urologic situations that occur in office irregardless of the sex of the provider; one doc i know always had a great line in those circumstances when somebody made a crack about him doing a DRE on them, and he said, 'hey, just imagine, you could have my job and be doing this all day...' i think the #'s of women is something like 4% in uro; but the chief surg chairperson at my school is a woman urologist, as is one of her partners; and they both strongly encourage women to enter the field; survey shows too that women who enter uro typically like what they do and encourage other women to join (sorry, can't remember the article i saw that in). bottom line, if its something you enjoy, then do it. don't worry about the few wack-jobs out there; you'll see them in whatever field you practice in.

Why would you be weird?

Is it weird for a man to go into Ob/Gyn?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just make sure you know how to react when your patients develop erections during your exam.

:)

Molly Maquire said:
Just make sure you know how to react when your patients develop erections during your exam.

:)

Hmmm....what would be the proper reaction?

"Let me step out for a minute while you compose yourself" ?:???

Ratch said:
if a patient is perverted, they are going to hit on you irregardless if you are in FP or in uro. many men, in my opinion, are uncomfortable with some urologic situations that occur in office irregardless of the sex of the provider; one doc i know always had a great line in those circumstances when somebody made a crack about him doing a DRE on them, and he said, 'hey, just imagine, you could have my job and be doing this all day...' i think the #'s of women is something like 4% in uro; but the chief surg chairperson at my school is a woman urologist, as is one of her partners; and they both strongly encourage women to enter the field; survey shows too that women who enter uro typically like what they do and encourage other women to join (sorry, can't remember the article i saw that in). bottom line, if its something you enjoy, then do it. don't worry about the few wack-jobs out there; you'll see them in whatever field you practice in.
Thank you very much for your reply.

ndi_amaka said:
Hmmm....what would be the proper reaction?

"Let me step out for a minute while you compose yourself" ?:???

I usually said, "Is that it, man???"

Ratch said:
if a patient is perverted, they are going to hit on you irregardless if you are in FP or in uro. many men, in my opinion, are uncomfortable with some urologic situations that occur in office irregardless of the sex of the provider

Dictionary.com
Usage Note: Irregardless is a word that many mistakenly believe to be correct usage in formal style, when in fact it is used chiefly in nonstandard speech or casual writing. Coined in the United States in the early 20th century, it has met with a blizzard of condemnation for being an improper yoking of irrespective and regardless and for the logical absurdity of combining the negative ir- prefix and -less suffix in a single term. Although one might reasonably argue that it is no different from words with redundant affixes like debone and unravel, it has been considered a blunder for decades and will probably continue to be so.

As a (male) patient, I have always been more comfortable with a female doctor for both exams and procedures. Less threatening maybe? Anyway, I expect that I'm not alone in this, and some of my women friends say they prefer a male GYN.