Advisor wants me to write LOR for him. What should I put?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

A_UROLOGY_RESIDENT

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
In talking to my urology advisor, he wants me to write the LOR, submit it to him for "alterations", and then he will submit it. I have no problem with doing it, just want to make sure it's as good of a letter it can be. We have a good relationship. Worked together in the clinic and OR for about a month. Did a case report together. So what makes a good urology LOR? Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Any kind of personal story is good. Also anything that makes it less boring. What you want to avoid is something that is restating information that is elsewhere on your application (ie. student is in top quartile of his class, scored x on boards, etc).

Opening paragraph -- Brief explanation of who letter writer is and relationship to you. "I write to enthusiastically recommend xxx for urology residency. I am the director of urology at yyy facility. I worked extensively with xxx during his rotations on urology as well as on a research project."

Next 2 paragraphs --

Explanation of why you were great. "While on service xxx exhibited compassion and great work ethic. He was a great team member" Ideal place for some kind of anecdote of a time when you went above and beyond on service
"XXX's role during the research project was to..." Ideal place for something about your research skill and/or writing abilities.

Final paragraph --- Conclusion about strongly recommending you. "I recommend xxx without reservation, and we are actively recruiting him to stay at our program."

Anyway, hope that helps.

Reactions: 1 user