Is it true that hospital-> retail easier than retail -> hospital?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

forever27

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard that retail pharmacies like to accept people who jump from hospitals. But it is hard for retail pharmacists to find a position in hospital (salary is one of the consideration) if they want.

One of my classmates told me her friend wants to find a hospital position after three years of retail pharmacist working. Finally, she gave up because she has to wait so long time until an opening show up and also the 10 k salary deduction is another reason.

Is it true?

Members don't see this ad.

forever......money seems to be a major issue with your posts.

Hospital (acute or snf) is a very different practice setting from retail. You have to have a different skill set. You have to have a different ability to communicate & be far more flexibile in your work hours.

Perhaps there were all sorts of other factors in your friend's inability (or perhaps lack of desire to become attractive) to potential hospital employers.

Who knows....as a licensed pharmacist, you have the ability to do either. It all depends on what is of interest to you & what you want to work hard at doing - both practice settings require a lot of work. Neither is better nor worse than the other. Both have their advantages & disadvantages (see WVU's posts for the disadvantages of retail.....)

You must make the decision for yourself & one size does not fit all!

I've done (& still do both) so its not hard - I work with phrmacists who are my age & older & some who are young enough to be my children in both settings. Both have something to offer which the other does not - that is the beauty of the profession. You keep learning from each other!

sdn1977 said:
forever......money seems to be a major issue with your posts.

Hospital (acute or snf) is a very different practice setting from retail. You have to have a different skill set. You have to have a different ability to communicate & be far more flexibile in your work hours.

Perhaps there were all sorts of other factors in your friend's inability (or perhaps lack of desire to become attractive) to potential hospital employers.

Who knows....as a licensed pharmacist, you have the ability to do either. It all depends on what is of interest to you & what you want to work hard at doing - both practice settings require a lot of work. Neither is better nor worse than the other. Both have their advantages & disadvantages (see WVU's posts for the disadvantages of retail.....)

You must make the decision for yourself & one size does not fit all!

I've done (& still do both) so its not hard - I work with phrmacists who are my age & older & some who are young enough to be my children in both settings. Both have something to offer which the other does not - that is the beauty of the profession. You keep learning from each other!

for sure money is a big issue to me considering the pricy tuition fees. :p
However, money is not everything to me.

I want to make a right decision before graduation and have the broadest choice even after I work as a pharmacist. Isn't broader choice good?
:D

Members don't see this ad :)
forever27 said:
for sure money is a big issue to me considering the pricy tuition fees. :p
However, money is not everything to me.

I want to make a right decision before graduation and have the broadest choice even after I work as a pharmacist. Isn't broader choice good?
:D

yes...broader is a good choice. But...post, after post..you speak of money. Nuclear pharmacy, hospital pharmacy, retail pharmacy, academics......after awhile its not about the money.

It comes down to what you want to do with what you know. There is a world of difference between nuclear pharmacists & retail pharmacists.

Take some rotations.....see what is of interest to you. Forget about the money - you'll make enough & you'll get your loans paid & you'll pay far more off over the years in mortgages, cars, children's dance lessons & their tuition.

Don't worry about the money right now - think about what you like about pharmacy. You may even change course 20 years after you started - I did & I don't regret a moment of it!

You only have one chance at this life.........make the best you can of the chance you are given. You'll be able to live within your means & when you're dead - you're dead with whatever money you have or owe - none of it matters at that point!

Its all what happens between then (the dead part) & now - find what you enjoy & enjoy it! Money is a means to an end - not an end in itself.....

During rotations, I've been at a few hospitals. At two of them, they hired pharmacists for open positions. Both of these hospitals hired pharmacists coming from retail. So, it is possible to move from retail to hospital as well as hospital to retail.

As a tech, I found learning the nuances of the hospital a lot easier than as an intern learning the nuances of all the billing and other assorted retail crap. But that's just me.

WVUPharm2007 said:
As a tech, I found learning the nuances of the hospital a lot easier than as an intern learning the nuances of all the billing and other assorted retail crap. But that's just me.

My classmates complained about community intern is that you can not really learn a lot in a busy pharmacy as what they have to do is to count pills without any breaks. Pharmacists do not have time to talk to you. But as hospital pharmacy, many people are around you and you can ask all the time. There are breaks in hospital and people can talk and get information.

sdn1977 said:
yes...broader is a good choice. But...post, after post..you speak of money. Nuclear pharmacy, hospital pharmacy, retail pharmacy, academics......after awhile its not about the money.

It comes down to what you want to do with what you know. There is a world of difference between nuclear pharmacists & retail pharmacists.

Take some rotations.....see what is of interest to you. Forget about the money - you'll make enough & you'll get your loans paid & you'll pay far more off over the years in mortgages, cars, children's dance lessons & their tuition.

Don't worry about the money right now - think about what you like about pharmacy. You may even change course 20 years after you started - I did & I don't regret a moment of it!

You only have one chance at this life.........make the best you can of the chance you are given. You'll be able to live within your means & when you're dead - you're dead with whatever money you have or owe - none of it matters at that point!

Its all what happens between then (the dead part) & now - find what you enjoy & enjoy it! Money is a means to an end - not an end in itself.....

Perhaps you have a better view of pharmacy as a professional without talking about money because you have worked in this area for many years. I believe I will be like you after ten years. However, for me, as a starter in this field and in heavy loan, I can not help thinking about it :oops:

I agree with you I will do more rotations to find which one is best for me, but before entering each field, to konw more about each field is better than know nothing. Many pros and cons for each field are based on individual's feeling and experience, only number is standarized :p

forever27 said:
Perhaps you have a better view of pharmacy as a professional without talking about money because you have worked in this area for many years. I believe I will be like you after ten years. However, for me, as a starter in this field and in heavy loan, I can not help thinking about it :oops:

I agree with you I will do more rotations to find which one is best for me, but before entering each field, to konw more about each field is better than know nothing. Many pros and cons for each field are based on individual's feeling and experience, only number is standarized :p

My wife worked as a retail pharmacist for 5 years and then went to hospital recently. She is actually making more in the hospital. The hospital system she works in does two market evaluations and adjustments per year so that the salaries are competative. They are so short for pharmacists at the hospital that they can't afford to lose someone over $10K. In many areas the pay differential b/w hospital and retail is negligable. I agree w above post, go where your interest is. The extra $$ only pay for hapiness for a very short time.

forever27 said:
I heard that retail pharmacies like to accept people who jump from hospitals. But it is hard for retail pharmacists to find a position in hospital (salary is one of the consideration) if they want.

One of my classmates told me her friend wants to find a hospital position after three years of retail pharmacist working. Finally, she gave up because she has to wait so long time until an opening show up and also the 10 k salary deduction is another reason.

Is it true?

I will tell you this, when I made the jump from retail (actually retail residency) to hospital, I was questioned A LOT on why I would make the jump. Of course, I only interviewed at large teaching hospitals. I would suggest you sign up for career builder.com or whatever so you can start seeing what jobs are out there and their requirements. If you would like to be in a large hospital with clinical services, you really pretty much have to do a residency (for the "clinical" positions) or at least have some experience. Hospital, for hte most part, is much harder to break into than retail. Most hospitals are going to requre 1-2 years experience before hiring, for a staff position. If I were you, I would start looking for a hospital based intership to get the experience.
Disclaimer - Of course, I only have knowledge of the Chicagoland area hospitals(where 2+ school of pharms dump their students out at, other areas may not be this cut throat for jobs, and everything I just said maybe null and void then

I am going to start my internship at a county hospital. I wonder if any of you who had experience in hospital can recommend some books to read or reference. I want to give them a good impression.

Thanks!

I am going to start my internship at a county hospital. I wonder if any of you who had experience in hospital can recommend some books to read or reference. I want to give them a good impression.

Thanks!

My advice is to try and find a brand-generic reference. It is a lifesaver in the hopsital. Several drug manufacturers give these away for free (at least that is how I got mine during a convention that I went to)

Awesome advice!