Outpatient Hospital Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sunshine98*

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Probably a set of "situational questions " : tell us about a time that you ..blah blah blah. I am not sure about the pay cut since some health system/ hospital pay much better than retail (I got a 15% pay raise). Having been an interviewer a few times, we usually look for someone who is dependable, trainable and care about our pharmacy.

Members don't see this ad :)
What questions did they end up asking you?

nothing hard really. Tell me about yourself, tell me a time where you went out of your way to help someone (used thier own prior authorization department as an example :D) , where do you see yourself in 5 years.

still have not heard back but they gave a range of depending on how fast they move...could be a week or more. on week 2 now. Ill wait one more week. Simply because my time is valuable to me and Ive been on the other side and know how the game of politics go. its simple: im hired or not. not rocket science!
Have they asked you for reference yet? Usually it is a sign if they go forward with you or not.

provided them with resume. They have all that they need. The ones that interviewed me, I can just tell they haven't done a fraction of what I've done during my time as a RPh.

They asked if I had a problem moving? I told them I got 8 windows open and 6 lines going at all times....always on the move :rofl:. Guarantee I move than they do.
At least 2 health systems in my area use electronic - reference through their job/HR portal. Your references receive an email link and they have the same set of questions to answer (also your application status online will show something like "requesting reference"). I guess you can also contact your references and find out if your potential employer has reached out to them.

provided them with resume. They have all that they need. The ones that interviewed me, I can just tell they haven't done a fraction of what I've done during my time as a RPh.

They asked if I had a problem moving? I told them I got 8 windows open and 6 lines going at all times....always on the move :rofl:. Guarantee I move than they do.
Did you use your current DL as a reference?

The "reference check" step usually takes the longest (we allow up to 4 weeks to complete) and so we normally initiate the process within a week after interviewing. Usually a quick phone call/email the top/chosen candidates to notify them that we want to check their references. Our HR portal will send the candidates email and they will then set up their reference list (no, we don't personally call or email any references).
Yup "waiting" is the hardest part. I had waited almost 1 month from "references check completed " to getting the offer. It was cruel !

Either of you mind taking a look at my resume / cover letter? Have had good feedback from other colleagues, but I've not received a call back for an interview for a few months now. FWIW live in a highly desired area and heard there's 100+ applicants for one position, but on the other hand also feels like copium.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hopefully for you I'm wrong, but if you were the preferred candidate they wouldn't still be scheduling interviews this late after yours.
Maybe they are doing "courtesy interviews". It happens quite often.

well I sent a follow up email and was told they are still doing interviews. Thing is that position was listed since November. I applied late December. Is it the kiss of death already? My gut says move on and just apply for other things. And in general if you have an application out for that long, sometimes you have your decision already made and are just waiting on that person (been there as a manager myself). Love politics :rolleyes:
Nov & Dec are "holiday & PTO months". Admins stuffs usually move slower than usual. However, I agree that they are probably waiting for their chosen candidate (such as references check or HR approval). Politics is just a part of any professional career.

Either of you mind taking a look at my resume / cover letter? Have had good feedback from other colleagues, but I've not received a call back for an interview for a few months now. FWIW live in a highly desired area and heard there's 100+ applicants for one position, but on the other hand also feels like copium.
Sure, you can PM me your stuffs. Yes, good jobs are hard to get. Most of the time, those hiring managers already have their preferred candidates in mind (especially in saturated area)

Reactions: 1 user
Just a few words of advice, some encouragement from a senior citizen. I have been a pharmacist for 38 years, Pharm.Tech, staff pharmacist to re regional manager, and back down to staff pharmacist. Several times over, like 9 times! Now, out of pure necessity, back to hiring manager!!!
Having been through 100's of interviews, on both sides of the desk, please don't get discouraged about the process. There is a lot more than goes into it than; cover letter, resume, references, experience, or interview skills.
There are metrics, HR dominance (if you think DOP is in charge, you are wrong), salary requirements, specific needs of the position, and internal transfers. A large percentage of positions are already filled, before the ad runs. The contacts, and connections you have with the organization is key, basically, it's who you know!. Most times, the hiring manager has made up his/her mind, about your hire, before you show up. The first 30-60 seconds, makes or breaks the deal. In our world, the cover letter, resume, and interview skills are low on the priority scale. Unless your resume is full of spelling errors, and you totally blow the interview.
As an employee, I have had interviews that were slam dunks, where I wasn't hired. There are just too many extenuating circumstances, beyond your control. Good luck, and there will always be other jobs. Trust me, if I can get hired, over and over again, anyone can.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you. Trying to keep hope alive. I've always been on the wrong side of the politics if that makes sense. See other people get away with doing less etc. and I'm always asked to do more, work extra shifts, have more of the work placed on me etc. In a bad situation now (not that any side will have a greener pasture), its pharmacy after all.. But I need get out of the situation I'm in.
I don’t know how old you are, or how long you have worked as a pharmacist, but as a general rule, life is not fair. There is a whole lot of politics, nepotism, and favoritism that goes on in pharmacy. I was fired (sort of) from a sweet daytime 7on/7off hospital staff job, because the a-hole pharmacy director, wanted to bring in her favorite mini-me! This after 7 years of employment, excellent annual reviews, never being late or sick. “let go” at the start of COVID. With a family depending on me, I had to find something, quick.
This, all, with being an immigrant, from a very “unfavorable” part of the world. With a strange accent, a stranger name, complicating everything.
Chin up, move on.

I don’t know how old you are, or how long you have worked as a pharmacist, but as a general rule, life is not fair. There is a whole lot of politics, nepotism, and favoritism that goes on in pharmacy. I was fired (sort of) from a sweet daytime 7on/7off hospital staff job, because the a-hole pharmacy director, wanted to bring in her favorite mini-me! This after 7 years of employment, excellent annual reviews, never being late or sick. “let go” at the start of COVID. With a family depending on me, I had to find something, quick.
This, all, with being an immigrant, from a very “unfavorable” part of the world. With a strange accent, a stranger name, complicating everything.
Chin up, move on.
RXDOC: You're living in the wrong part of the country if discrimination is a concern. In SoCal, if you're a boring white male, the patients assume you're the technician...and that you listen to Coldplay.

RXDOC: You're living in the wrong part of the country if discrimination is a concern. In SoCal, if you're a boring white male, the patients assume you're the technician...and that you listen to Coldplay.

sunnyandseventytwo

love the forum name, aptly describing SoCal. We have lots of family and friends in LA and OC. Wow, great weather, great diversity. But, for the price of my mini-mansion, here in the ATL, I can get a 3br-2ba, fixer upper in LA. Hey, I will put up with a lot of chit, for the life I have had in the deep south. There is discrimination everywhere, living a good life is the best antidote.
Hey, only, southern Rock for me, Lynyrd Skynyrd! Maybe some Bad Company and Foreigner!

Reactions: 1 user

sunnyandseventytwo

love the forum name, aptly describing SoCal. We have lots of family and friends in LA and OC. Wow, great weather, great diversity. But, for the price of my mini-mansion, here in the ATL, I can get a 3br-2ba, fixer upper in LA. Hey, I will put up with a lot of chit, for the life I have had in the deep south. There is discrimination everywhere, living a good life is the best antidote.
Hey, only, southern Rock for me, Lynyrd Skynyrd! Maybe some Bad Company and Foreigner!

Agreed, best vengeance is living your best life!