Is it too late to apply now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hammersmith

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am thinking of applying to few more programs now. Is sep 15'th the unofficial deadline? Since each programs get applications in the thousands, it is possible that they look at only the first few hundred or so applications and summarily reject the rest. Suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Hmmm...there's no "unofficial deadline," as far as I know - though many people seem to think programs stop screening apps by a certain date, due to the sheer number of applicants. Then again, some programs have emailed me saying they won't give out interview invites until they've received the Dean's Letter (Nov 1), so who knows.

When did you certify/submit your CAF, Sep 1?

Jesus, no. You're not even close to being late.

If Sep 15th was the deadline it would be cool, though. Anal-retentives like Blade and myself would have our pick of residencies. ;)

Trust me, those program directors are going to at least look at every application that gets in b4 their deadline (most places, Nov 1-15th, I think). They want the best (and happiest) residents that they can get. That being said, you're better off getting in your app asap. Talk to your advisor or dean if you're thinking about certing some more programs. My generic advice would be to first apply to the places you want to go (I'm assuming you already did this); then, if you're not getting interview offers by the first or second week in Oct, cert some more backups. Everything really depends on what you're applying for and how good an applicant you are, though. JMHO.

BellKicker said:

If Sep 15th was the deadline it would be cool, though. Anal-retentives like Blade and myself would have our pick of residencies. ;)

Its precisely for these reasons, I heard that, some low-grade programs may not hurry to download the apps. In order to reduce their overall efforts, they may just ignore the very first batch of applicants, since, they know (from their experience) that, it mostly contains hyper-applicants, super-stars who sprinkle their apps everywhere, and so, they would be hard to get finally anyway. In other words, extreme haste can back-fire also, especially for obviously unpopular programs. In the end, it may not mean much to the real super-stars. Thats what I heard. Reality? I'm not sure.

Definitely not too late. I think I'm one of very few in my class who have already applied.

MelissaRichards said:
Its precisely for these reasons, I heard that, some low-grade programs may not hurry to download the apps. In order to reduce their overall efforts, they may just ignore the very first batch of applicants, since, they know (from their experience) that, it mostly contains hyper-applicants, super-stars who sprinkle their apps everywhere, and so, they would be hard to get finally anyway. In other words, extreme haste can back-fire also

......... Which is exactly why I played hard to get and waited 2 or 3 hours on opening day before I hit "submit".

Seriously, though. 15 out of 20 programs downloaded my stuff within the first couple of days.

BellKicker said:

Preach on, my brother! :thumbup:

BellKicker said:
......... Which is exactly why I played hard to get and waited 2 or 3 hours on opening day before I hit "submit".

Seriously, though. 15 out of 20 programs downloaded my stuff within the first couple of days.

I actually submitted about 3 hours after "opening day," as well! (Sep 1, 12 noon, Eastern time) This was due to my 3 hours of checking and rechecking before certifying and submitting my CAF.

About 15 out of my 67 programs haven't downloaded anything yet...and these tended to be the more "big name" programs.

Blade28 said:
Hmmm...there's no "unofficial deadline," as far as I know - though many people seem to think programs stop screening apps by a certain date, due to the sheer number of applicants. Then again, some programs have emailed me saying they won't give out interview invites until they've received the Dean's Letter (Nov 1), so who knows.

When did you certify/submit your CAF, Sep 1?

I applied for just one program on Sep 1 to see if things go thru fine. Bulk of my apps went thru on Sep 8'th.

hammersmith said:
I applied for just one program on Sep 1 to see if things go thru fine. Bulk of my apps went thru on Sep 8'th.

That works, too! :thumbup:

MelissaRichards said:
Its precisely for these reasons, I heard that, some low-grade programs may not hurry to download the apps. In order to reduce their overall efforts, they may just ignore the very first batch of applicants, since, they know (from their experience) that, it mostly contains hyper-applicants, super-stars who sprinkle their apps everywhere, and so, they would be hard to get finally anyway. In other words, extreme haste can back-fire also, especially for obviously unpopular programs. In the end, it may not mean much to the real super-stars. Thats what I heard. Reality? I'm not sure.

I'm not even sure why "super stars" would bother applying to "low grade" programs.

In the end, all conjectures are just that...no one really knows what happens at all programs. I added some programs near the end of the Surgery program deadline (November 1) and programs still downloaded the information.