Is it possible to transfer after match?.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sonali41

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi friends, I matched in NY and my husband matched in Michigan. Is there any way to transfer or exchange the position?.
I would really appreciate ur help.

Members don't see this ad.

how come you didn't do that couples match?

Hi friends, I matched in NY and my husband matched in Michigan. Is there any way to transfer or exchange the position?.
I would really appreciate ur help.

Wow, that really bites. My understanding (and I believe everyone else's) is that when you ranked your matches and submitted them on March 7th, you agreed that you would be willing to move to any of those places, hands down, no questions asked. I believe this is a binding contract, and to break it would pretty much leave you with a black mark on your name for a very long time. If you do decide to leave or transfer, you'll probably make some people really upset...it will be hard for that program to fill the empty position, especially when their program won't be listed for others to scramble into.

If you manage to transfer, consider yourself lucky! I've never heard of anyone transferring.... Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Straight from the Match website:

"The Match results constitute a binding commitment from which neither the applicant nor the program can withdraw without mutual written agreement. A program must offer an appointment to each applicant with whom it is matched, and the applicant must accept the offer from the program, unless both parties agree in writing to release each other from the Match result."

--So I guess if you explain your situation...?

And:

"Violations of the terms of the Agreements or the ASHP Match Rules will be reported to the ASHP. The ASHP may decide to impose penalties on those who violate the Agreements or the Match Rules."

--I don't know what violations or penalities mean...

I really do wish you the best...it could be a long year away from your husband and I wouldn't want anyone to go through that! Hope you can get things figured out!

Anyways thanks for replying. I forgot to mention that my husband matched for his Internal Medicine Residency. It was very difficult for us to prepare the Rank list because our match day were very close.
Good luck to all.

Anyways thanks for replying. I forgot to mention that my husband matched for his Internal Medicine Residency. It was very difficult for us to prepare the Rank list because our match day were very close.
Good luck to all.
It sucks but it's better than being on opposite ends of the country, I guess. Many of my classmates are leaving their significant others behind for residency and since it's only 1 year it's not that bad. My really good friend is staying here and her fiance is going off to med school. I know it's really hard but I've also had many preceptors who were separated during that year as well.

From people I've talked to you can withdraw but it basically cuts all ties with those people at that program and if people at other programs find out in the future it will make it that much harder on you. I've heard of a few people doing this and they were pretty much black-listed at that institution. The main reason why it upsets so many people is that where you matched might have been a 1st choice for someone else and since you matched there they might have had to go to their 2nd which might have been someone else's 1st choice. It basically goes down the line and defeats the purpose of the match system.

I wish you much luck! The next year will fly by and although it'll be difficult without him- it's not impossible.

Good luck to all.

is your husband in medicine? this would be why you couldn't do a couples match. talk to the program. seriously, it is understandable with things like this. tell them how your couples match didn't register.

i heard there were some problems with the match system this year where it did not take all the rankings properly. this was from program directors. talk to the program, they can let you out of the match. seriously, i dont think anyone would dare force you to come to the program and be unhappy.

i really wish it was just a simple apply to a place, they decide if they want you and let you know. that would save all this hassle. however, this is a big money making operation and national match services has to force their service down everyone's throats. :(

i really wish it was just a simple apply to a place, they decide if they want you and let you know. that would save all this hassle. however, this is a big money making operation and national match services has to force their service down everyone's throats. :(

If you will look at this blog post
http://pandabearmd.com/blog/2006/03/17/the-residency-match-part-1/
you will see that residency matching services actually serve a useful purpose. It's about medical matches, but the principles are equally relevant to pharmacy.