Is it possible to make over $200K in FM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My RVU is 54.70 per unit. I have to clear 296.12 per month. Currently I average 455 RVU per month. I easily make over 300K/year

So I work urgent care 10 shifts a month. I try to pick up 1-3 more extra.
So? We both work very different jobs.

Members don't see this ad.

My RVU is 54.70 per unit. I have to clear 296.12 per month. Currently I average 455 RVU per month. I easily make over 300K/year

That’s very nice compensation per RVU with a very attainable “nut” to meet every month. I get $45/rvu, which I thought wasn’t bad. The APCs pull about $10-12/rvu around my area

I don't see anything wrong with this thread. Healthy disagreements and alternative perspectives are a good thing.

My base salary is comparatively low to what has been mentioned but I more than make up for it with productivity. Anything over 280 visits a month I get $40 per in addition to base. I'm routinely seeing 400-450+/month. Also have built in production bonuses and keep any extra revenue I generate after the mafia takes their cut.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sick of seeing this thread yet find myself contributing again.

Sent from my Pixel XL using SDN mobile

Perhaps you should forgo clicking on the thread. Or better yet exercise some self control and just ignore it. Just because you don't like it or think about it does not mean you have to post about it.

Is that rural area or big city etc.

This is what I consider a "rural city". I'm in Central TX.

Texas seems to be doing well for doctors right now. Salaries seem to be a little higher. It's take a little longer to get a license.

Texas seems to be doing well for doctors right now. Salaries seem to be a little higher. It's take a little longer to get a license.
Ehh. I got my permanent license done and through before I started Fellowship pretty quick. It only took a few weeks once I got everything in.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you live in an expensive area or a desirable area, your pay would be lower on the average doctor pay spectrum anyways, and, with the high cost of living, you're living just as well as that dude who graduated from college with a business or a computer science degree.

If you live in an expensive area or a desirable area, your pay would be lower on the average doctor pay spectrum anyways, and, with the high cost of living, you're living just as well as that dude who graduated from college with a business or a computer science degree.

Which places are you thinking of when you say high col? Are computer grads making 200k these days on average?

Which places are you thinking of when you say high col? Are computer grads making 200k these days on average?
NYC, LA, anywhere in Norcal, Seattle. Can fam doctors even live upper middle class well in cities? Not trying to start an argument, I am honestly wondering.

Last edited:
NYC, LA, anywhere in Norcal, Seattle. Can fam doctors even live upper middle class well in cities? Not trying to start an argument, I am honestly wondering.

Having lived in NYC for two years, I would say NO to an "upper middle class life style" which to me means a room for each child, feeling overall very comfortable in your living space, excellent schools,and able to support non-working spouse who would have option of staying home with child/children. On an primary doc salary, that means approximately 180 - 200k (competitive market pay cut), in a real estate market that is unbearably expensive (I know someone paying 7K/mos for a nicer/amenity filled,two bedroom apt in Midtown).

In NYC, on 200K/year you are most likely living in Queens/less desirable areas of Brooklyn/NJ, or a box (1-2 bedroom), less amenities, etc. Most people in NYC spend >50% of their after tax income on rent/(or mortgage for rarer home owner).

It's certainly not for me, although its nice to visit for good restaurants/museums/plays.

If you are single, or spouse is also working, then you could pull off something solid.

Reactions: 2 users
Having lived in NYC for two years, I would say NO to an "upper middle class life style" which to me means a room for each child, feeling overall very comfortable in your living space, excellent schools,and able to support non-working spouse who would have option of staying home with child/children. On an primary doc salary, that means approximately 180 - 200k (competitive market pay cut), in a real estate market that is unbearably expensive (I know someone paying 7K/mos for a nicer/amenity filled,two bedroom apt in Midtown).

In NYC, on 200K/year you are most likely living in Queens/less desirable areas of Brooklyn/NJ, or a box (1-2 bedroom), less amenities, etc. Most people in NYC spend >50% of their after tax income on rent/(or mortgage for rarer home owner).

It's certainly not for me, although its nice to visit for good restaurants/museums/plays.

If you are single, or spouse is also working, then you could pull off something solid.
Exactly

In smaller cities (not NYC scale for sure) in states with midlevel autonomy has job position offerings still been stable or decreased? I'm wondering how much to read into the whole doom and gloom.

In smaller cities (not NYC scale for sure) in states with midlevel autonomy has job position offerings still been stable or decreased? I'm wondering how much to read into the whole doom and gloom.

There more and more NP/PAs doing primary care. With that said there is a large shortage of primary care doctors. The more rural you go the more the shortage. Many companies will want you (in their contracts) to supervise or collaborate with NP/PA. My suggestion is you negotiate that out of your contract. If NP/PA want to practice independently then they should take all the risks of an independent practitioner. If you choose to ignore this advice, remember that 100% of what they do will be your responsibility.
You can find a family medicine job that pays in the 250 range.
Another option is to finish your residency in FM and start another in a high paying one.

Reactions: 1 user
Id be more than happy with a fm job that's around 225k in a city like Baltimore or Philadelphia. Not sure if I could muster the strength to do two residencies.

So, why aren't you a neurosurgeon?

Way too many years of residency. Perhaps I should have been an ortho sales rep. You know those guys who go into the OR with the doc. and help with the technical aspects of the knee or whatever joint they are selling. I heard they make bank. Although it's never too late. ;)

I'm not smart enough.....

Nonsense... ;)

9780440504702.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Way too many years of residency. Perhaps I should have been an ortho sales rep. You know those guys who go into the OR with the doc. and help with the technical aspects of the knee or whatever joint they are selling. I heard they make bank. Although it's never too late. ;)

Possibly, although I've never actually met a successful pharma or device rep who had an MD/DO. I just kinda think it might look...pathetic.

Possibly, although I've never actually met a successful pharma or device rep who had an MD/DO. I just kinda think it might look...pathetic.
Most people I know that leave medicine for business do well if they prepared well.

I'm sure that's the only reason. ;) See how that works?

No, actually...I don't. I started med school thinking that I wanted to do EM. Then, after working in the ED, I realized that I'd much rather keep people out of that godforsaken place. Hence, my interest changed from EM to IM/FM. I did enough IM to convince me that I didn't want to do all old people all of the time (kids are fun, in small doses), and so...that left FM. I've never looked back, and no regrets.

Reactions: 1 user

I never care what others think.

No, actually...I don't. I started med school thinking that I wanted to do EM. Then, after working in the ED, I realized that I'd much rather keep people out of that godforsaken place. Hence, my interest changed from EM to IM/FM. I did enough IM to convince me that I didn't want to do all old people all of the time (kids are fun, in small doses), and so...that left FM. I've never looked back, and no regrets.

That's great. Good for you.

I meant on a global scale.

But, you sell people one-on-one. Relationships matter. I just think that a washed-up MD/DO trying to sell me on a drug/device just comes off as pathetic. IMO, an MD/DO only matters if you're taking care of patients. Otherwise, it's just a couple of initials after your name.

Last edited by a moderator:
But, you sell people one-on-one. Relationships matter.

Yes. In that capacity. I meant I don't care what people think on a more global scale in response to your comment about the doc. being pathetic doing sales. I don't do it but I don't think it would be pathetic.

Yes. In that capacity. I meant I don't care what people think on a more global scale in response to your comment about the doc. being pathetic doing sales. I don't do it but I don't think it would be pathetic.

I'm not saying that sales is pathetic (although I was pretty pathetic when I was in sales back in the day), just that somebody who went though everything we go through to get a medical degree only to wind up in...sales...is kinda pathetic.