Is it possible to have a 3.9 gpa?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cruz3r

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m a sophomore and my cumulative gpa is 3.81 at 57 credits. Unfortunately, I had a lot of difficult classes this semester, one of them being a 5 credit course (ah physics!) which really sunk my gpa. My grading system is on a 4.0 scale and only does letter grades, like only As (=4.0)or Bs (=3.0), no A+. I can’t figure out the math, but is it still possible to graduate with a 3.9 gpa?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
First of all, like Goro said, a 3.81 will make you competitive anywhere.

But to answer your question, if you want specifically a 3.9, then you would need another 57 credits of a 3.99 GPA. It's possible to get that many credits in 2 years.

The AAMC calculates GPA using +/-s (B = 3.0, B+ = 3.3, A- = 3.7, A = 4.0) so you should calculate your GPA on that scale first.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Members don't see this ad :)
3.81 GPA and "it sunk my GPA" shouldn't be in the same sentence. Please relax

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
3.81 is good enough for any school but won’t get you into any school either. Neither will a 4.0. It will come down to MCAT, so just study hard and ace the test.

It would still be possible to get a 3.9 too.

The second year of college is usually the most challenging and the trajectory of many GPA plotted by year is a Nike swoop. Don't sweat it but also consider whether applying after you've earned all your college credits, and therefore having a gap year after college graduation during which your application is under review at med schools might be the way to go.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
3.81 is good enough for any school but won’t get you into any school either. Neither will a 4.0. It will come down to MCAT, so just study hard and ace the test.

It would still be possible to get a 3.9 too.

This. GPAs are so hard to compare across schools and majors, there are few consistent rules. A 3.7+ shows that you are a topish or top tier student in your school and major, which checks a box. Largely you don't get more points unless you are going to a particularly hard school or hard major, engineering comes to mind. The MCAT is one exam to rule them all, which is why once you get to that 3.7+ you should worry more about that, since nothing looks more sus than a 3.9 GPA with a 494 MCAT. You would much rather have a 3.6 GPA and a 513 MCAT.

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors.

The second year of college is usually the most challenging and the trajectory of many GPA plotted by year is a Nike swoop. Don't sweat it but also consider whether applying after you've earned all your college credits, and therefore having a gap year after college graduation during which your application is under review at med schools might be the way to go.
This is soo true. The only B I received was in Physics of my sophomore year. Ruined my 4.0 LOL.

I had a 4.0 science GPA the first time I applied to med school, and I DIDNT get in! 4.0’s by themselves don’t matter.