Any radiologist making 7 figures total (or close to it?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I wish this were true in my state.

Despite the shortage, all the groups have kept the contract terms the same when compared to pre pandemic.

The good old boys coordination is real.

You must be in a very desirable location. That's probably what gives the groups the courage to keep terms as is with the expectation that they will be able to hire.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Where I’m at pretty much anything is negotiable. Even academics are bending, where possible.

Easier said than done. Everyone is hiring, including my group. We are relatively lifestyle focused, 8AM-5PM, good pay, small group, no personality problems, no private equity and we want to increase our vacation to 16 weeks by adding another partner, but we can't find people, so we are just sucking it up and making more even though we'd rather have more time off. This is happening everywhere.
does your group ever consider hiring a tele-radiologist to fill the position

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a hospitalist that get paid a yearly salary. I dont understand the RVU concept that well.

The other day in the physician lounge, I heard a radiologist complaining about salary said he made 28k RVU last year, which seems to be a lot because I usually hear PCP make 5k RVU on average. Assuming this radiologist got the average $$$ per RVU, how much money that would translate to?

I am a hospitalist that get paid a yearly salary. I dont understand the RVU concept that well.

The other day in the physician lounge, I heard a radiologist complaining about salary said he made 28k RVU last year, which seems to be a lot because I usually hear PCP make 5k RVU on average. Assuming this radiologist got the average $$$ per RVU, how much money that would translate to?
CMS conversion factor is around $34.

That's a beyond insane number. 11k is the national average. That's a crazy high number even if you were doing all mammo, which are pretty inflated RVUs.

CMS conversion factor is around $34.
Is this PP? Employed? Tele/pay per click? I think avg private radiologist bills about 10k rvu per annum so 28k is a lot. If he were making what we make per rvu, it would be about $1.2 mill.

Is this PP? Employed? Tele/pay per click? I think avg private radiologist bills about 10k rvu per annum so 28k is a lot. If he were making what we make per rvu, it would be about $1.2 mill.
You make only 42 per wrvu? That’s so strange it differs by specialty so much, heme pnc makes like 90 per wrvu

CMS pays around $34 for all rvu across all specialties. I usually consider that the floor for rvu collections.

That is to say, if you are not billing yourself, your rvus may be worth less.

Telerad prelims are usually set at different rates.

28k is absurd. I wonder if that guy owns some technical component too.

It's a group that works for the hospital. That guy is always talking about how bad reimbursement is. He does both general rad and IR.

He is probably the "head" (or the owner, not sure how that works) of that group. He also complaint about having a tough time recruiting another radiologist to work for the group. He said everyone wants to do telerad and ask 600-700k...

Last edited:

10k RVU/yr * $34/RVU = $340k/yr salary for the average radiologist before taxes. Seems a bit low, unless it is more complex than that?

That's a beyond insane number. 11k is the national average. That's a crazy high number even if you were doing all mammo, which are pretty inflated RVUs.
Why does Mammo specifically have inflated RVUs?

10k RVU/yr * $34/RVU = $340k/yr salary for the average radiologist before taxes. Seems a bit low, unless it is more complex than that?

That's CMS rates. Pretty much the floor for reimbursement. Private insurance pays more.

The rvu vs time for a mammogram is set higher than other exams like CT Chest. It takes longer to properly dictate a CT chest and compare nodules than to do a screening mammo+DBT.

It is what it is. Still doesn't entice me to do mammo.

Reactions: 1 users

The rvu vs time for a mammogram is set higher than other exams like CT Chest. It takes longer to properly dictate a CT chest and compare nodules than to do a screening mammo+DBT.

It is what it is. Still doesn't entice me to do mammo.

It's two-fold:
1) As maxxor said, the RVU per study is considered high compared to other modalities.
2) Mammo is a screening exam, the overwhelming number of mammograms you look at will be negative. When you're reading mostly negatives, it's relatively easier to read a large number of them.

For reference, the American College of Radiology says the mammography callback rate is ideally 5-12%. So if you read 100 mammograms in a day, you'd flag 5-12 as a requiring further work-up. The other 88-95 are negative. 100 mammograms a day is well over 100 RVU's per day. (the mean cancer detection rate is 4 cancers per 1000 cases).

Reactions: 1 users