Is it of any benefit to take USMLE step 2 (want to go into FM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ibarne242

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
3rd year. Trying to match into FM in Chicago or NY. USMLE 1 was 230s and comlex 660s. No step 2 yet.
Extra-curric's limited. No research but some volunteering, some of which probably shows some commitment; and was a student ambassador during year 2. Also a chorister, did some professional work during first two years, now doing amateur work (in a major city) that isn't paid.
Programs I'm looking at:
Chi:
Swedish covenant, Presence St Joseph, Advocate Lutheran, UIC, MacNeal, LaGrange Adventist, Franciscan Health, Oak Park (maybe), Rush (maybe).
NYC:
Mt Sinai (reach), St. Barnabas, Nassau Communities South, Jamaica (maybe) or St. John's Episcopal (maybe)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
IMO Step II will be of limited use for you in family med. I know someone with a step 1 of 230 and he matched his first choice easily and he was fairly picky about the programs (had to be certain size city with costco within x miles, free health insurance for family etc.) He said only one program asked him about Step II (which he didn't do). It might help some, but the gain will be minimal IMO.

Granted I do see your New York programs, and recognize their increased competitiveness. But I think you will still be fine with a 230's. I guess if your NBME's predict a 240+ then I would think your fine to do step II if you wanted. I don't know how high you would have to get to really elevate yourself more than where you are.