Is it morally wrong for a doctor to smoke cigarettes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I guess there shouldn't be any overweight doctors, either.

Actually, I'm losing weight right now so I won't feel like a huge hypocrite.

I just can't imagine myself telling a patient that his cholesterol looks a bit high if I looked like my own cholesterol was through the roof.

Speaking of which, I did already lose like 5-6 pounds and gained a decent bit of muscle simultaneously so...good start =)

And during this weight loss thing, I did notice that I myself thought that the one fat personal trainer at the gym seemed like a bit of a hypocrite...and had the least clients...

You don't want to be the one fat personal trainer at the gym is what I'm saying.

Members don't see this ad.

Oh and it's so much morally wrong as that it'll make you look like a total hypocrite, and thus wreck any credibility you have. But this sort of brings up moral issues too (see next to last paragraph).

Like I said about why I'm losing weight, you honestly have no credibility telling someone to lose weight if you weight 300 pounds yourself (and do not have some rare untreatable disorder-most thyroid problems are treatable btw, and if you're a doctor you'd probably have gotten around to getting yourself treated).

The ONLY morally problematic thing here is that you have to consider that you're hurting the quality of care you're giving BECAUSE your patients won't take you seriously. So basically you won't be able to help your patients.

So...its' not outright morally wrong, but it will impact your credibility, and thus the care you give...so...it could be kinda morally...iffy.

Oh and I told myself if I thought I could get through med school, then I better think I can lose a few pounds. Because while losing weight is hard, it's almost a test of your will (well, without resorting to pills or surgery it is).

So I figured it's the prelude of sorts to my will power and conviction. Plus it's easier to lose weight when you think of it as something that'll not just affect you but the people you'll be trying to help.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think so.

You would think they of all people would know better though...

maybe they've been addicted for years before becoming a doctor...they're human, it's just as hard for them to stop as anyone I would think.

there's an episode of ER where Dr. Greene is outside of the ER smoking and a patient that he just diagnosed with lung cancer wheels by on his wheelchair and kinda gives him this look...

its not immoral, but probably not the best way to be a community role model for good health which is what doctors should be

maybe they've been addicted for years before becoming a doctor...they're human, it's just as hard for them to stop as anyone I would think.

Yeah, they're human, but if they're also supposed to be doctors who try to get people to stop smoking and do healthy things.

Think of it this way, it's like being a police officer who's always trying to catch criminals, but they enjoy robbing banks themselves.

Or...a fireman who fights fires, but sets houses on fire on the weekends.

Basically, if your job pretty much demands that you stop people from doing something, you can't do it yourself or you honestly look ridiculous.

How seriously is an asthmatic 13 year old kid you're seeing going to take your advice to stop smoking if they see you sucking on cigarettes outside yourself? Zero credibility, people.

I think a physician smoking and then telling their patients to quit is hypocritical. Same with physicians that try to emphasize good nutrition and then go to McDonald's every night because they are too tired to cook. The disconnect between words and actions -- that's a moral failing. No one's a paragon of virtue, but if you can't manage to lead a reasonably healthy life, how do you expect anyone else to take your advice?

Smoking is not a morally wrong. Doctors should advise against its harmful effects and lead by example when possible but let's face it, doctors are still people, in white coats but still flawed.

sure, docs aren't perfect; no one is. but as there is no health benefit at all from smoking, as opposed to eating or drinking coffee/tea/some alcoholic beverages, any single act of smoking is already overdoing it, as opposed to eating or drinking too much.

so if you ask me, doctors should not smoke at all. even if they don't tell their patients not to smoke.

sure, docs aren't perfect; no one is. but as there is no health benefit at all from smoking, as opposed to eating or drinking coffee/tea/some alcoholic beverages, any single act of smoking is already overdoing it, as opposed to eating or drinking too much.

so if you ask me, doctors should not smoke at all. even if they don't tell their patients not to smoke.

I don't necessarily disagree with you. However, I do not believe that there is a requirement for any of our activities to have health benefit in order for us to do them. Riding a motorcycle in an urban area carries some increased risks, and no related health benefits. Yet I do not think it is wrong to ride motorcycles instead of drive cars. Similarly, vegging on the couch watching soaps and eating bon-bons doesn't do much for ya either, but I don't think its morally wrong.

Smoking, in most cases, is neither moral nor immoral. An unhealthy lifestyle choice to be sure, but not an immoral one (it is legal after all). I believe that a Doctor that smokes can still give sound medical advice about suggesting that his patients quit smoking. It is still a sound recommendation irregardless of the doctor's smoking status. I would add though, that many medical campuses are going smoke free. Furthermore I believe that doctors should be role models for the community when it comes to matters of health, and therefore should avoid smoking. This is no different from certain other professions, such as fire-fighting, which often require its members to completely abstain from smoking for a variety of reasons.

Morally wrong? Are you kidding me? People do so many things they know are not good for them, and yet are these morally wrong? That is def. the wrong word to choose entirely, morality has zero to do with smoking...

Is it stupid? Hell, this day and age everyone knows exactly what is going to happen if they smoke. We know the consequences. Its no more wrong for a doc to smoke than it is anyone else, as long as that person is informed as to the consequences.

I work at Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, and there are designated smoking areas around campus. At lunchtime they are filled with nurses, what look to be bench scientists, and plenty of docs smoking it up.

So take it from the top doc smokers in the world - puff away your lungs its a-ok!

Yeah, they're human, but if they're also supposed to be doctors who try to get people to stop smoking and do healthy things.

Think of it this way, it's like being a police officer who's always trying to catch criminals, but they enjoy robbing banks themselves.

Or...a fireman who fights fires, but sets houses on fire on the weekends.

Basically, if your job pretty much demands that you stop people from doing something, you can't do it yourself or you honestly look ridiculous.

How seriously is an asthmatic 13 year old kid you're seeing going to take your advice to stop smoking if they see you sucking on cigarettes outside yourself? Zero credibility, people.

Agreed!! I would NEVER go to a doctor who is morbidly obese or who (to my knowledge) smoked. hypocritical... zero credibility ... possible unethical ... but not immoral

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know if this has already been posted, but has anyone ever heard the expression "Do as I say, not as I do." I think it applies here for doctors. Sure they aren't setting a good example, but you are not supposed to follow their example. You are supposed to follow their advice. If you followed their example, you too would be a physician and would not need their advice.

Yeah it's wrong for docs to smoke.

But hey, everybody's doing it! :rolleyes:

I don't think any person physician or not should ever tell someone to do something that person is unwilling to do him/herself. Maybe I am just an old fashioned person who still believes that a man's word should be as good as his signature. Whatever happened to idealism?:(

Yeah it's wrong for docs to smoke.

But hey, everybody's doing it! :rolleyes:

I don't think any person physician or not should ever tell someone to do something that person is unwilling to do him/herself. Maybe I am just an old fashioned person who still believes that a man's word should be as good as his signature. Whatever happened to idealism?:(

ORLY... Well can men not be abortion providers??? Last time I checked, a man can't have an abortion, so I guess by your logic, he can't provide one for a poor raped woman either. :thumbdown: Fail.

It's hypocritical, but I'm not sure about 'immoral'.

Agree - morality has nothing to do with it. You will be telling patients to stop smoking regardless of your specialty. You will be dealing with the aftermath of smoking regardless of your specialty. It just makes sense to quit before you get to this stage. But no, it isn't "morally wrong".

yes it is immoral, because the difference between smoking and over eating is that smoking harms the health of others (ie innocent bystanders) where someone over eating does not harm another person's health.

ORLY... Well can men not be abortion providers??? Last time I checked, a man can't have an abortion, so I guess by your logic, he can't provide one for a poor raped woman either. :thumbdown: Fail.

Thanks for trying to be funny, but if you'll read carefully, I said not willing. I didn't say hadn't experienced as would obviously be the case in the situation you describe.

Agree - morality has nothing to do with it.
Seconded. I think a lot of folks on SDN have a pretty bad case of putting physicians up on pedestals, much higher than John Q. Public.

I don't think doctors should smoke because I don't think people should smoke. Don't confuse physicians with anything other than human and most of these fantom ethical arguments go away.

A friend of mine want to apply to med school in 2 years, and he just started smoking cigarettes. This got me thinking: isn't it wrong for a doctor to use nicotene? Granted, cigarettes are not mind-altering, like pot or any hallucenogin, so they don't technically alter a doctor's performance while on the job. But, if a doctor's responsibilty is the health of his patients, and not smoking cigarettes is one the most important and simplest things that one can do in order to maintain a healthy lifestyle, isn't it immoral for a doctor to smoke cigarettes himself? I mean, imagine if a patient with lung cancer or emphysema sees his doctor outside his window on a cigarette break... That hypocrisy has got to nullify anything the doctor told him about how important it is for him to stop smoking, for his own health and for those around him. So, by smoking, a doctor is not only risking his own health, but he's also not doing his best to treat his patients... Am I way off base? Is smoking purely a personal matter that shouldn't have anything to do with being a doctor? Or does smoking while doctoring reek of hypocrisy to anybody else? Sorry for the rant, but I'd appreciate some opinions...

Immoral? No.
Bad for his health? Yes.
Personal decision? Yes.

Seconded. I think a lot of folks on SDN have a pretty bad case of putting physicians up on pedestals, much higher than John Q. Public.

I don't think doctors should smoke because I don't think people should smoke. Don't confuse physicians with anything other than human and most of these fantom ethical arguments go away.

I actually was not placing physicians above anyone, because I honestly believe it is immoral for anyone to smoke. If I had it my way, cigarettes would be illegal.

Doctors are overworked and stressed.

Nicotine is extremely effective in stress relief. Not only that, but it can improve memory and concentration, too.

It's no mystery why people who lead stressful lives turn to cigarettes, alcohol, drugs, etc. as a form of stress relief and relaxation.

I actually was not placing physicians above anyone, because I honestly believe it is immoral for anyone to smoke. If I had it my way, cigarettes would be illegal.

Whatever happened to good old personal responsibility and accountability?? Too much to ask for I guess...

This is a silly subject. Sure, it does not make sense to me since I'm not a smoker. Then again, I'm not going to place blame. The bottom line is 'does the doctor's personal life interfere with her professional life?' ...pot included (as I stir up the pot of controversy). If any of you truly think a doctor should not be permitted to smoke, then you better be walking the straight and narrow yourself.

like I said,
smoking harms the health of others around you. I work at a cancer institute. Do you know how ridiculous and selfish people were who stood outside and puffed away while people who work to save smokers have to walk through? I think it is unfair for smokers to stand in doorways and puff away so that I, a non smoker has to breathe it in. You are harming my well being, that is where I take issue. Thank G-D that they eliminated smoking on the property a few months back. It is now enforced. That is what I like to see.

This is a silly subject. Sure, it does not make sense to me since I'm not a smoker. Then again, I'm not going to place blame. The bottom line is 'does the doctor's personal life interfere with her professional life?' ...pot included (as I stir up the pot of controversy). If any of you truly think a doctor should not be permitted to smoke, then you better be walking the straight and narrow yourself.

yeah it is just a stupid perspective. eating saturated fats is a slow death also, but no one's going to argue that all doctors should be vegan. having sex with someone that you haven't tested for std's is not risk-free behavior, but no one's going to argue that doctors should test their partners first or remain abstinent for life.

Agree - morality has nothing to do with it. You will be telling patients to stop smoking regardless of your specialty. You will be dealing with the aftermath of smoking regardless of your specialty. It just makes sense to quit before you get to this stage. But no, it isn't "morally wrong".

Smart. Has obviously thought about the question.

yes it is immoral, because the difference between smoking and over eating is that smoking harms the health of others (ie innocent bystanders) where someone over eating does not harm another person's health.

Republican.

Thanks for trying to be funny, but if you'll read carefully, I said not willing. I didn't say hadn't experienced as would obviously be the case in the situation you describe.

Republican

Immoral? No.
Bad for his health? Yes.
Personal decision? Yes.

Republican

Doctors are overworked and stressed.

Nicotine is extremely effective in stress relief. Not only that, but it can improve memory and concentration, too.

It's no mystery why people who lead stressful lives turn to cigarettes, alcohol, drugs, etc. as a form of stress relief and relaxation.

Whatever happened to good old personal responsibility and accountability?? Too much to ask for I guess...

Republican

yeah it is just a stupid perspective. eating saturated fats is a slow death also, but no one's going to argue that all doctors should be vegan. having sex with someone that you haven't tested for std's is not risk-free behavior, but no one's going to argue that doctors should test their partners first or remain abstinent for life.

it's not immoral. maybe hypocritical, but then again maybe not since doctors aren't supposed to do anything about non-compliant patients anyway beyond advising them.

I don't think its immoral but I do think it is stupid and hypocritical of health care professionals to be doing such things!! However, let us remember that at the end of the day they are HUMAN and it is JUST A JOB!

One could also poise the question: Is it immoral for them to get drunk while in med school when they are training to be doctors even though we all know the effects of alcohol? The answer again would be no just a bit hypocritical that we are our own worst enemies in that we'll go through extreme lengths to help the health of others but often at the cost of our own health through alcohol and caffeine in huge amounts, bad eating habits, bad sleeping habits, etc. (the last two being a by product of things beyond our control).

I personally hate cigarette smoke but its their choice if they choose to smoke or use too much alcohol not ours to make.

Also, I agree to a certain extent that comparing weight problems isn't always the same thing as comparing smoking/drinking. People above have already listed some of the possible causes of being overweight so I won't do it.

Republican.

Republican

Republican

Republican

Hahahahaha what is my categorization??? LOL

BTW I don't have a problem with other people smoking so long as they don't do it right in front of the entrance to a building in a way where other people can't avoid them. I wish they'd just stand a clear distance away where people can get around it.

I don't think its immoral but I do think it is stupid and hypocritical of health care professionals to be doing such things!! However, let us remember that at the end of the day they are HUMAN and it is JUST A JOB!

One could also poise the question: Is it immoral for them to get drunk while in med school when they are training to be doctors even though we all know the effects of alcohol? The answer again would be no just a bit hypocritical that we are our own worst enemies in that we'll go through extreme lengths to help the health of others but often at the cost of our own health through alcohol and caffeine in huge amounts, bad eating habits, bad sleeping habits, etc. (the last two being a by product of things beyond our control).

I personally hate cigarette smoke but its their choice if they choose to smoke or use too much alcohol not ours to make.

Also, I agree to a certain extent that comparing weight problems isn't always the same thing as comparing smoking/drinking. People above have already listed some of the possible causes of being overweight so I won't do it.

You sound like a thinker. Republican status is on reserve for those people who are never willing to compromise with anything that falls outside of their own interests. (See MrBurns's signature) :thumbup:

You sound like a thinker. Republican status is on reserve for those people who are never willing to compromise with anything that falls outside of their own interests. (See MrBurns's signature) :thumbup:

trust me I am thinker, which is why I think it is wrong for someone to have to breathe in the harmful bad habits of another person. You are right, I wont compromise on this!!!
but your post was funny, I am a republican, I think?:laugh:

trust me I am thinker, which is why I think it is wrong for someone to have to breathe in the harmful bad habits of another person. You are right, I wont compromise on this!!!
but your post was funny, I am a republican, I think?:laugh:

I don't disagree but the fact of the matter is we can't stop it. The only thing we can do is request that they do it in a place isolated from the direct pathway to the entrance or something along those lines. In other words, create designated smoking areas and designated nonsmoking areas.

In case anybody was curious, I convinced my friend to quit. Not with the "morally wrong" thing (I admit the word "moral" was not the best choice, but I typed out my original post in a bit of an upset frenzy), but by saying I really cared about him and his health, and I wanted him to stop before he got addicted. So that's that. How did this thread get resurrected anyway?

I would agree that it does reek of hypocrisy, but in the end it all comes down to one very simple rule: sweep around your own back door. Everyone knows what is right and what is wrong and should worry more about what they are doing than what others are doing. I mean seriously....are you going to get lung cancer because your doctor smokes? Probably not. Are you going to get lung cancer because YOU smoke? It's a little more likely.

In case anybody was curious, I convinced my friend to quit. Not with the "morally wrong" thing (I admit the word "moral" was not the best choice, but I typed out my original post in a bit of an upset frenzy), but by saying I really cared about him and his health, and I wanted him to stop before he got addicted.

That's really one of the lamest things I've ever heard, and I'm really grateful that I don't have friends like you.

So what's next for you?

"Bob, I really love and care about you, and I could help but notice the other day that you didn't buckle your seatbelt and check your rearview mirrors before you started your car. I'm terrified that this could one day result in your death . . . "

I honestly believe it is immoral for anyone to smoke. If I had it my way, cigarettes would be illegal.

Your posts on this subect make me want to invest in Phillip Morris. Have a smoke and a scotch and you may feel more relaxed and less stressed about trying to free the world from anything remotely cool. :cool:

smoking isnt necessarily harmful. you just increase your chances of getting certain diseases, but if your genetics is really good, you can still be healthy at 70. on the other hand people who are fat can see the effects of their overeating and sedentary lifestyles. very few fat people actually have genetic thyroid problems or whatever.

Your posts on this subect make me want to invest in Phillip Morris. Have a smoke and a scotch and you may feel more relaxed and less stressed about trying to free the world from anything remotely cool. :cool:

whatttt smoking is soooo not cool.
I am all for cool, just not cool that you chose to engage in that harms me in any way. Also, not cool for the innocent kids that have to inhale bc they have parents that think smoking is more about their "rights" than the truth. Selfish if you ask me. I have personal evidence (so 2nd hand smoke), the parent I lived with smoked every day in the house (we are talking chain smoker), I had terrible breathing problems as a child, on an inhaler, two bouts with pneumonia, and I was a gymnast which made endurance training that much more difficult. Even the doctor spoke with the mentioned parent, but to no avail. When I finally moved out at 18 and was no longer exposed my breathing problems cleared up. Coincidence? I think not.
Also, I seen the effects smoking has on that person (1st hand). One of my closest grandparents had small cell lung, and was kept at home with the "help" of hospice. Long story short, as a nursing student I stayed for a few weeks and helped as much I could until she passed.

Morally wrong? Are you kidding me? People do so many things they know are not good for them, and yet are these morally wrong? That is def. the wrong word to choose entirely, morality has zero to do with smoking...

Is it stupid? Hell, this day and age everyone knows exactly what is going to happen if they smoke. We know the consequences. Its no more wrong for a doc to smoke than it is anyone else, as long as that person is informed as to the consequences.

Holy thread resurrection, Batman!

No, I don't think it's "morally wrong." Or even "wrong" for that matter, so long as it's not consistently pushed onto others in the form of persuasion or second-hand; yes, smoking is risky, but so is skydiving, and I love that.

I do, however, shy away from smoking, and I wish those in my life I care about would quit.

smoking isnt necessarily harmful. you just increase your chances of getting certain diseases, but if your genetics is really good, you can still be healthy at 70. on the other hand people who are fat can see the effects of their overeating and sedentary lifestyles. very few fat people actually have genetic thyroid problems or whatever.

i cannot believe i am reading this. Ya those are the rare cases. Trust me smoking causes more epigenetic and genetic changes (instability) than just any other preventative factor around. I took and entire 8 credit hour course in oncolgy this year. You sound like the people the profs mock out in class in their stories about their research with smoking and how smoking is so highly linked to the uneducated and poor, and how people are so in denial(the professors that is)

i cannot believe i am reading this. Ya those are the rare cases. Trust me smoking causes more epigenetic and genetic changes (instability) than just any other preventative factor around. I took and entire 8 credit hour course in oncolgy this year. You sound like the people the profs mock out in class in their stories about their research with smoking and how smoking is so highly linked to the uneducated and poor, and how people are so in denial(the professors that is)
oh wow, you've taken some 8hr course and now you're an expert on why some people never smoke and get lung cancer and others like Mark Twain can lead a very productive life. % of smokers who develop lung cancer is <<50%. % of regular people who'll become morbidly obese in usa is probably >50%. i dont smoke. your prof's research seems like a waste of federal budget if he uses it to establish that the poor are more likely to smoke.

What rock do you live under?

I know it's fun to live next to Mickey and Goofy, but one day you might have to leave Disneyland and come live in the real world. 70% of lung cancers are a resultant from a mutation caused by cigarette smoke. And even if your "really good" genetics could prevent cancer (um, right) I wouldn't want to bank on having the good genes. Talk about something you can only know in hindsight. :rolleyes:

What rock do you live under?

I know it's fun to live next to Mickey and Goofy, but one day you might have to leave Disneyland and come live in the real world. 70% of lung cancers are a resultant from a mutation caused by cigarette smoke. And even if your "really good" genetics could prevent cancer (um, right) I wouldn't want to bank on having the good genes. Talk about something you can only know in hindsight. :rolleyes:
"70% of lung cancers" blabla doesnt mean that you have a 70% chance of getting a lung cancer just by being a smoker. people take chances all the time.

oh wow, you've taken some 8hr course and now you're an expert on why some people never smoke and get lung cancer and others like Mark Twain can lead a very productive life. % of smokers who develop lung cancer is <<50%. % of regular people who'll become morbidly obese in usa is probably >50%. i dont smoke. your prof's research seems like a waste of federal budget if he uses it to establish that the poor are more likely to smoke.

There are many studies that have established many things. The course is taught by a team of scientists, epidemiologists and physicians. I highly doubt they are all a bunch of *****s who just have a chip on their shoulder about smokers rights.
And I am not against the poor, I am pretty poor:( They have established though that the poor and uneducated are more likely to smoke. It is unfortunate that you don't see a problem with the rich loser tobacco companies targeting our children that may not have as much parental guidance than others.
I have plenty of friends who smoke, and they know how I feel. My "parent" still smokes like a chimney. At only 45 years old, and after seeing their own parent die of small cell lung, this parent of mine has emphysema. Yep, and continues to smoke. Heartbreaking really listening to the gasps for air all the time. Wait but that wasn't caused by smoking?

whatttt smoking is soooo not cool.
I am all for cool, just not cool that you chose to engage in that harms me in any way. Also, not cool for the innocent kids that have to inhale bc they have parents that think smoking is more about their "rights" than the truth. Selfish if you ask me. I have personal evidence (so 2nd hand smoke), the parent I lived with smoked every day in the house (we are talking chain smoker), I had terrible breathing problems as a child, on an inhaler, two bouts with pneumonia, and I was a gymnast which made endurance training that much more difficult. Even the doctor spoke with the mentioned parent, but to no avail. When I finally moved out at 18 and was no longer exposed my breathing problems cleared up. Coincidence? I think not.
Also, I seen the effects smoking has on that person (1st hand). One of my closest grandparents had small cell lung, and was kept at home with the "help" of hospice. Long story short, as a nursing student I stayed for a few weeks and helped as much I could until she passed.

Your not the only one with sob stories. I had one grandparent that I saw die in part from emphasema, the last time that I saw him alive was on my wedding night when we went to visit him in the hospice after our ceremony. I also had an uncle that I watched die from small cell lung cancer, where we all gathered for his last christmas before his body finally gave out a short few months later. Both of these cases were attributed to long lives of smoking. However, public policy decisions should not be made based on emotion and personal anectdotes. Most of us have had to endure various types of hardships and tragedies, but I am still not getting bent all out of shape about it. Relax friend. You sure arn't going to make any progress for legislation by ranting about smoking immorality on an anonymous internet forum.

Your not the only one with sob stories. I had one grandparent that I saw die in part from emphasema, the last time that I saw him alive was on my wedding night when we went to visit him in the hospice after our ceremony. I also had an uncle that I watched die from small cell lung cancer, where we all gathered for his last christmas before his body finally gave out a short few months later. Both of these cases were attributed to long lives of smoking. However, public policy decisions should not be made based on emotion and personal anectdotes. Most of us have had to endure various types of hardships and tragedies, but I am still not getting bent all out of shape about it. Relax friend. You sure arn't going to make any progress for legislation by ranting about smoking immorality on an anonymous internet forum.

ok fair enough.:)

That's really one of the lamest things I've ever heard, and I'm really grateful that I don't have friends like you.

So what's next for you?

"Bob, I really love and care about you, and I could help but notice the other day that you didn't buckle your seatbelt and check your rearview mirrors before you started your car. I'm terrified that this could one day result in your death . . . "

Wow that was really mean. I love him, and I want him to live a long and healthy life with me. Smoking will likely shorten that life, and it will definitely impair his ability to run, cycle, swim, and hike- his favorite activities. He doesn't miss cigs, and I'm happy that I could do this one small thing for him. If that makes me lame, fine. I may be lame, but at least I'm not a jerk. Sheesh!

I love how our society is almost accepting of obesity, yet smoking is perceived as an extremely disgusting, unhealthy habit.

You have no problem with lecturing the smoker, but when it comes to the fatso in McDonalds stuffing cheeseburgers down his throat, you don't care. Both are destroying their bodies, yet one is more socially acceptable than the other.