Is it late or not ???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Biogirl804

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all! So I decided that I want to go to Optometry school. I know that it is October, and possibly very late to apply, Should i even attempt to do it? Any advice would be helpful!! :) I would still need to take the OAT and all...i don't know....very confused...

Members don't see this ad.

How long ago did you make this decision? Shadowing should be the first thing to do on your list before you consider moving forward with the application process (just to make sure you're positive about your decision!)

As far as your applications go, depending on your situation, getting your LORs together can take some time, so you should definitely take care of that immediately. Prepping for the OAT will also take some time, depending on how fresh the material is to you, so check out the suggested OAT prep material in the OAT section (there are lots of threads about recommended material). The sooner you can take the test, the better... but don't sacrifice quality scores because you're in a rush. If you want to retake the exam after unsatisfactory results, you have to wait 3 months, so get it right the first time!

You can send applications out without your OAT scores. Some schools will review your file without your scores, while some will keep your application on hold until everything is received. Call your schools of interest for more information. Opted.org has information regarding incoming first year students (average GPAs, OAT scores), as well as all of the prerequistes for each school.

Good luck! Feel free to PM me if you have questions and I'll do my best to answer!

The apps prep will take a while to do.
This sounds all too familiar... I was in your shoes last October.
It is stressful but is very doable.
I did my app in Oct (and Jan.) shadowing in Nov, wrote my OAT in Dec, interviews in Jan and Mar and got in in Apr.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
The apps prep will take a while to do.
This sounds all too familiar... I was in your shoes last October.
It is stressful but is very doable.
I did my app in Oct (and Jan.) shadowing in Nov, wrote my OAT in Dec, interviews in Jan and Mar and got in in Apr.

Good luck!

What were your stats, if you dont mind? You must've had great grades and OAT...

which schools did you apply to, and which did you eventually decide on? Sounds like you had an interesting journey :eek:

Oh I did have very interesting journey.
For instance my flight to NY got canceled b/c of the snow storm so after trying to look into other transportation my parents drove me there...

Depending on schools that I applied to my GPA ranges from 3.65 to 3.8.
My OAT score is 360. But I did rather horribly with RC, I got below 300 on that section...

I applied to SUNY, NECO, ICO, NOVA, and Waterloo. I decided to stay in Canada.

Last edited: