Is it harder for D.O.s to get Rad Onc residencies than M.D.s?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EmKay

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Having worked in various oncology departments, I've become increasingly fascinated by what rad oncologists do. I am seriously considering going to med school to become a rad onc (easier said than done, I know).

I have two options: (1) Keep my job and take classes at my local community college, or (2) quit my job and undertake a year or two of pre-med courses at an official post-bacc program at a 4-year school.

If I do my pre-med classes at a community coll, I have a shot at my local osteopathic school, which has previously accepted many students with pre-med coursework from community college. The upshot is that, most likely, I'll get to keep my job until I get an acceptance letter from med school.

The other option is to try for an M.D. program. I contacted MD schools in my area; they all strongly recommended that I NOT do my pre-med work at a community coll. But in order to seriously engage in a true post-bacc program at a 4-year college, I would almost certainly have to quit my job for at least 1-2 years.

So I have to decide between the M.D. track or D.O. track. And I have my heart set on becoming a radiation oncologist. So, WOULD ANYONE KNOW IF DOs HAVE A TOUGHER TIME GETTING RAD ONC RESIDENCIES THAN MDs?

I spoke to a D.O. who is a veteran rad onc, very high up in the field. He said that D.O.s can get residencies at NYU, MSKCC, and Columbia-Presbyterian, just to name a few.

Also, considering how crazy the competition for rad onc residencies is, I would like to know if osteopathic students are more limited in their opportunities for research in med school. The general advice that I seem to be getting is that research while in med school is strongly advised for people seeking rad onc residencies.

My sincere thanks in advance to any and all who post here.

Members don't see this ad.

Wagy27, thanks for your speedy reply.

To all future posters, I just want to let you know that I have already read the "DO RAdiation oncology?" post (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=270645). That post mentioned some statistics that SDN members were disputing.

I know that far fewer DOs go into rad onc than MDs, but I want to know if this is because DOs face greater obstacles than MDs, or simply because there are fewer DO schools out there than MD schools.

Specific statistics on this are difficult to come by. However, as a generalization I'm sure most would be comfortable saying that it is harder for the average DO grad to obtain a Rad Onc spot than the average MD grad. The main reasons for this are: (1) no exclusviely DO Rad Onc residencies, (2) no home programs for DO students and, (3) general emphasis of DO medical schools on primary care > research.

My two cents.

Members don't see this ad :)
Much more difficult. Hands down. Not impossible, but your research experience will need to be SUBSTANTIAL- i.e. at least a full year.

Much more difficult. Hands down. Not impossible, but your research experience will need to be SUBSTANTIAL- i.e. at least a full year.

So why exactly is it more difficult?

Getting into radiation oncology is very difficult- there are many very qualified candidates. Fair or not, like it or not, your medical school that you attend makes a difference, and D.O. schools (again, fair or not) are not viewed in the same manner as are "top" medical schools.

I'm not saying it's fair, but the job of deciding who gets the spots can't be an easy one. Any shortcut people can take to "ding" someone is going to be taken advantage of.

Getting into radiation oncology is very difficult- there are many very qualified candidates. Fair or not, like it or not, your medical school that you attend makes a difference, and D.O. schools (again, fair or not) are not viewed in the same manner as are "top" medical schools.

I'm not saying it's fair, but the job of deciding who gets the spots can't be an easy one. Any shortcut people can take to "ding" someone is going to be taken advantage of.

I think that's a pretty accurate assessment. The deck would be stacked against a D.O. trying to match into radiation oncology.

It may help if DO applicants have additional degrees such as Ph.D.; otherwise, it is nearly impossible... nearly.