Is it against the rule....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theunraveler

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
...to ask about case study question in this forum?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think so, though VIN might be a more useful place. It's against the rules to say "Why is my dog vomiting?"

I'm reading this website to get a better understanding of BMBT

http://www.diaglab.vet.cornell.edu/coag/clinical/bleeding.asp

It says that "...Dogs with even severe coagulation factor deficiencies usually have normal lip bleeding time."

I thought BMBT is a test for primary hemostasis and that if a dog has coagulation problems it will show up as prolonged bleeding?

Members don't see this ad :)
Primary hemostatis (this is, the first couple minutes) doesn't need clotting factors, it only needs available platelets and proper endothelial interaction to form the initial "plug".

The factors are what cause the plug to stabilize and become an actual clot via secondary hemostasis.

So, dogs with severe factor deficiencies(factor only!) will still be able to create that initial plug and stop bleeding. However, that plug is easily dislodged so ten minutes later they may start bleeding again, but at the time the test is done they appear to stop bleeding normally

BMBT is best to check for things like effects of low platelet count (not enough to make plug, although that'd likely show up on the CBC) and von willebrands disease (poor endothelium/platelet interaction so the plug cannot form)

For coagulation you have two stages. Primary hemostasis (initial platelet plug) is dependent on normal numbers and functioning of platelets and can be tested for with a BMBT. Secondary hemostasis (fibrin clot) is due to coagulation factors ( intrinsic and extrinsic pathways all the numbers...). So if you have a primary platelet problem you will see petechia and ecchymoses on mucosal surfaces. With secondary hemostasis you usually bleed into body cavities and joints. Does that help?

So a normal BMBT tells you that you have normal platelet numbers and they are functioning appropriately. Your other coag test (PT, PTT) test your factors.

With a BMBT you only need primary hemostasis to stop the bleeding it won't start bleeding again later.

If you took blood (venipuncture) on a dog with a factor deficinecy it would clot off at first due to primary hemostasis but would begin bleeding again after the fact when the factors can't come in to form the fibrin clot.

While reading about the criteria of neoplastic malignancy I came across this term "round cell", is this the same as mast cells?

While reading about the criteria of neoplastic malignancy I came across this term "round cell", is this the same as mast cells?

Mast cells are one type of round cell. Other round cell tumors are plasma cell tumor, lymphoma, transmissible venereal tumor ... there may be one more -- I thought there was 5 but I can't think of another one.

Edit: Histiocytoma, that's it.

Cool thanks Bill, so round cell is just a general term covering lymphoid tissue?

We were taught the acronym LYMPH to remember the round cell tumors:
L - Lymphoma
Y - TVT (not sure where the Y comes from, but I roll with it anyway)
M - Mast Cell Tumor
P - Plasma Cell Tumor
H - Histiocytoma

Basically the same thing that Bill said, but in a nifty little acronym in case you forget one of them!

We were taught the acronym LYMPH to remember the round cell tumors:
L - Lymphoma
Y - TVT (not sure where the Y comes from, but I roll with it anyway)
M - Mast Cell Tumor
P - Plasma Cell Tumor
H - Histiocytoma

Basically the same thing that Bill said, but in a nifty little acronym in case you forget one of them!

That's a good one, thanks! We're doing oncology right now in internal medicine, so that's quite timely...

Members don't see this ad :)
Explain why some compounds are highly toxic at very low dose rate in some instances, yet much greater doses may cause no harm on other occasion

Explain why some compounds are highly toxic at very low dose rate in some instances, yet much greater doses may cause no harm on other occasion

What? Are you talking about other compounds not being toxic when given at higher doses, or the same substance causes toxicity at low and high doses on different occasions??

What? Are you talking about other compounds not being toxic when given at higher doses, or the same substance causes toxicity at low and high doses on different occasions??

I think thats what the question is asking....I thought the answer might be biotransformation, in which a less toxic substances become more toxic in the presence of liver enzymes but then again I am not sure...

I think thats what the question is asking....I thought the answer might be biotransformation, in which a less toxic substances become more toxic in the presence of liver enzymes but then again I am not sure...

My clarification question presened two different possibilities.
1. You are asking about a situation whereby one drug is toxic at a very small dosage (drug A) and another, different drug is toxic at a very high dose (drug B)

OR

2. The same drug (drug A) is sometimes toxic at small doseas and sometimes toxic at larger doses.

which is it?

My clarification question presened two different possibilities.
1. You are asking about a situation whereby one drug is toxic at a very small dosage (drug A) and another, different drug is toxic at a very high dose (drug B)

OR

2. The same drug (drug A) is sometimes toxic at small doseas and sometimes toxic at larger doses.

which is it?

I dunno. That was all the info that was given.

I interpreted it in a wider way. As in occasion one was using a drug in a particular species (say a cat) that can't metabolize it well and occasion two was using a much higher dose in a different species (say a dog) that can metabolize it. The other thing that occured to me was changes to metabolism of drugs due to other drugs currently on board. Such as phenobarb inducing cytochrome p450 and increasing metabolism so the higher level would be fine.

Ivermectin and collies?

Sick euthyroid vs hypothyroidism

Why is the free T4 test needed to differentiate between the 2? The way I understand is that hypothyroidism decreases T3 and T4 and it is the same in illness so the free T4 test shouldn't be used....

argh i dunno...

Sick euthyroid vs hypothyroidism

Why is the free T4 test needed to differentiate between the 2? The way I understand is that hypothyroidism decreases T3 and T4 and it is the same in illness so the free T4 test shouldn't be used....

argh i dunno...

http://www.merck.com/mmpe/sec12/ch152/ch152c.html

it seems to indicate that TSH is required, not free T4. But in either case, this may help you.

That is a defect in the blood-brain barrier specific to the drug. There is a gene test for it now BTW.

I'm familiar with avermectin sensitives in collies.

I was giving it as an example of a potential situation which would fit the scenario the OP was describing. The question mark only had to do with if he felt it an appropriate example.

The gene test is great for animals that might have the MDR1 mutation and need treatment for generalized demodex.

Is there any anaesthetics that one can use when doing C-section that wont cross the placenta barrier or do all anaesthetics will cross the placenta barrier even if it is local anaesthetics?

Propofol is a goodie. Crosses the placenta minimally, esp less than val/ket, thio, domitor etc. Don't know about large animals. I think a good repro/obstetrics book would probably have a chapter on this kind of stuff though...