Is everyone attending NYU or USC rich?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1103614

If not, please share your strategies to tackle your debt...

Members don't see this ad.

no strategy- just accept that you will be in debt for the rest of your life.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If not, please share your strategies to tackle your debt...
Here is the best strategy.

Make the minimum payments. Only vote for Democrats. And hope to get your loans forgiven one day.

• Haha
  • Dislike
Reactions: 9 users
If youre going into dentistry to become rich then yeah it probably is better to look into other careers.
I don't think I can be rich by pursuing dentistry.
Going into 600-700k in debt will wreck your finance unless you have a solid plan.

I don't think I can be rich by pursuing dentistry. Going into 600-700k in debt will wreck your finance unless you have a solid plan.
honestly i don’t think there’s a solid plan to tackle that high of a loan, don’t forget to add the interest.

I don't think I can be rich by pursuing dentistry.
Going into 600-700k in debt will wreck your finance unless you have a solid plan.
I don't think there is really any hope once you've taken that much out. Add an average interest rate of 6% annually and you're basically never going to get anywhere financially. It really doesn't make any sense if you truly take out the full COA in loans. You are honestly better off doing almost anything else. One year out of a GPR in NYC you make 140k. Take away taxes, and loan payments, and what are you left with? You're basically at the financial level of a fast food worker.

Reactions: 4 users
Make the minimum payments and use the money toward actually what matters (family, lifestyle). Remember guys, Loans can last forever, our lives on the other hand go by quicker than you think.... And when the tax bomb comes, we'll post pone that too. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
If you truly love dentistry, why don't you become a dental hygienist instead? you will be better off financially...
700k debt is no joke
a dental hygienist and dentist have different scopes of practice. but agreed dental hygiene would be a great backup

One year out of a GPR in NYC you make 140k. Take away taxes, and loan payments, and what are you left with? You're basically at the financial level of a fast food worker.
Posts like this really show how out touch a lot of dental and med students are with the American middle and lower class

140k is not 140k when you have 700k in debt. you can barely pay off the interest accruing
Theres literally no situation in which a dentist has the QoL of a minimum wage worker unless you owe millions to a loan shark in the Russian mafia. Even with private dschool debt, I would wager almost every dental grad will live comfortably and far better than the average American. If you want an S class and second home by 30, then yea I agree an expensive dental school isn't worth it.

Knew of a few people that attended either NYU or USC. Most of them took out loans and made it happen. Maybe one was covered thanks to one of the military programs?

I interviewed at USC back at the day and they will openly tell you that the average graduate debt is 400-500K and the average salary of a general dentist in southern California is 88K. One of the more memorable moments for me on the interview trail (2012).