Is dentistry the best non-MD health profession?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

artvandelay786

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In other words, for you, what in particular makes dentistry beat out optometry/podiatry/pharmacy/etc?

Members don't see this ad.

I do not know if you can say that there is a "best" health profession, because this will vary from person to person based on their personal interests and preferences But, if you enjoy science as well as working with people, then you can narrow down your field by speaking with people who are in the various fields and/or shadow a bit to get a feel for which profession is the best fit for you.

In other words, for you, what in particular makes dentistry beat out optometry/podiatry/pharmacy/etc?

In one word- Variety.

Pharmacists (retail at least) do pretty much the exact same routines day in and day out.
Optometrists, well, you know the routine- 1 or 2? 2 or 3? etc....
Podiatrists- Probably more variety, but they really are limited to literally ONLY below the ankle. Not a lot of excitement really.
As dentists, we get to do a lot really- it seems like a lot of us just "drill on teeth", but there is truly a tremendous amount of learning opportunity and growth in the field. The technological advances are amazing. Now the future of the field is definitely changing because of this technology, and we may no longer be a cottage industry like we used to be, but there really is a lot more variety if you want it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Personally, I don't think you need the "non-MD" qualifier. I think dentistry, if you enjoy it and liked the shadow experience, can be the best health profession.

However, in many ways dentistry is very similar to being a physician. Consider this: the most coveted, competitive residencies for medical students are those that are highly procedural, are out patient, and deal with overall "healthy" patients with a lower rate of malpractice suites. Based on that criteria you wouldn't know if I was describing dentistry, ophthalmology, or dermatology. I also like that dentists hold the reigns as the principal provider of the mouth with options of further specialization (ortho, OMFS etc.).

this isnt meant to be snarky. But dentistry is the best health profession, for you, if you have an overwhelming desire to work on peoples teeth. If you are defining best as in income potential, its #1-2. Hours worked, #1. May be the hardest on the body though. You also risk being unemployed if you hurt yourself, unlike other doctorates.

Trust me man, if you want to be a healthcare provider, theyre all very different from one another. Concentrate on the day to day aspects of the job to decide what you like. If youre smart enough to break into these fields, you are smart enough to make money doing almost anything. This isnt cliche, I know from experience.

In one word- Variety.

Pharmacists (retail at least) do pretty much the exact same routines day in and day out.
Podiatrists- Probably more variety, but they really are limited to literally ONLY below the ankle. Not a lot of excitement really.
As dentists, we get to do a lot really- it seems like a lot of us just "drill on teeth", but there is truly a tremendous amount of learning opportunity and growth in the field. The technological advances are amazing. Now the future of the field is definitely changing because of this technology, and we may no longer be a cottage industry like we used to be, but there really is a lot more variety if you want it.

You can have variety in all the fields listed there. You're a bit biased because you're in the dental field. I don't blame you though. Dentistry IS the best profession. ;)

how many sole practitioners do you know (or can google for that matter) in the fields listed (ie: not tied to a commercial business)? how many dentists can you find? there's my voice.

podiatry maybe...they're ok...but they fight with ortho docs wayy too much. they also are on the forefront of being like optometry by selling insoles and designer shoes.

In one word- Variety.

Your narrow minded view of the other professions doesn't give them enough credit. Just like no one really gets dentistry except dentists, you probably dont know anything about the above.

That being said, MD inclusive, dentistry is the best given the current environment.

I found a tape measure! Yeah definitely dentistry is the best, no questions asked. (sarcasm) What a useless thread. Get back in your hole.

In one word- Variety.

Hey optometry is much more than 1 or 2, check out this video: [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u788bGDILjw&t=1m47s[/YOUTUBE]

(Go to 1 minute 55 seconds for the cool technology we use)

dendritic+cataract.jpg

Also seeing a dendritic cataract such as the one above is awesome.

Although yes dentistry is the best non-MD profession out there in terms of reimbursements.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's my rationale as to why I'm currently interested in dentistry.

Pharmacy's got a decent lifestyle, but the non-retail job market, which are the more coveted jobs, is in shambles. Overtime and shrinking wages are consequences of the explosion of pharmacy schools.

Optometry is suffering the same plight as pharmacy, but some would argue that it's further exasperated due to the fairly weak governing body(a problem that dentistry does not suffer from).

Podiatry is a procedure-based profession like dentistry. However, there's only so much one can do for one's foot and ankle. A good portion of their cases are diabetics that need foot care from professionals to reduce the risk of infection. Dentistry has many specialties, they can rebuild what's there, they can "make" teeth, and oral health has some connections to overall health as well.

Psychology is heavily vested in research, and its base in academia makes it insanely competitive, along with the nature of the work being entirely too subjective. In dentistry, you know you fixed a cavity. In psychology, it all relies on the mental state of the person you're working with.

Veterinary medicine is another contender, procedure-based, but the schools are insanely competitive, and it's dirty work. Animals are unpredictable and can react badly at a minute's notice. Another deterrent is euthanasia, which makes the job emotionally taxing.

Midlevels like NPs and PAs have the perk of reduced liability for a relatively broad scope of practice. However, as a midlevel, you're always in the, for lack of a better way to put it, the middle. They tote a decent salary compared to their amount of schooling, but they're always stuck without much room for improvement. They hit their glass ceiling quickly, which doesn't happen to a dentist. Dentists are independent, and have many opportunities available to them.

Finally, the big kahuna itself, medicine. Medicine seems to have it all, variety, prestige, but they get screwed over in this department.

Consider this: You got two people, one enters dentistry, one enters medicine. For the sake of argument, let's say this cost them 200k. The dentist can start as an associate making 100-140k a year depending on the area. The guy who went into medicine, though, has at least 4 years of making 50-60k a year. So, even though they both require taking a massive amount of debt, you'll have an easier time paying it back as a fledgling dentist than a fledgling physician because the entry rate for dentists is double the rate for physicians.

Could the physician specialize and pull in some crazy bank as an attending? Sure, but that normally involves longer residency and hellish on-call after that. I'd rather be home at 6 than in the hospital running about like a chicken with its head cut off, thank you very much.

Dentistry has it all for me, flexibility, a good lifestyle, variety, independence, neat gadgets, and it all comes with a handsome chunk of change. You can't beat that with a stick!

Last edited:
what are you people doing here? this is why sdn really stands for students discussing numbers($).
someone make a thread about endodontists placing implants before i vomit, and go back to not studying.

In one word- Variety.

No, optometry is not all about 1 or 2. We are more involved than that. We co-manage with various doctors from different disciplines. We check for diabetes, hypertension, and anything in the retina that warrants further testing that could suggest a systemic condition. We order labs and neuro-imaging (MRI/CT), etc. Give us a little more credit, geez!

I think it is the best including MDs. I had the grades to get into any type of professional school and have absolutely no regrets about choosing dentistry.

When I was younger, just a bad little kid.
My mom would wonder at the things I did.
Like shooting puppies with a BB gun.
I'd torture guppies, and when I was done.
I found a ***** cat and bashed in its head.

That's when my momma said...
(What did she say?)
She said my boy I think some day, you'll find a way, to make your natural tendencies pay...

Last edited by a moderator:
When I was younger, just a bad little kid.
My mom would wonder at the things I did.
Like shooting puppies with a BB gun.
I'd torture guppies, and when I was done.
I found a ***** cat and cut of its head.

That's when my momma said...
(What did she say?)
She said my boy I think some day, you'll find a way, to make your natural tendencies pay...

Classic! Love that movie!

Mods - this guy is a radiology resident and has a chip on his shoulder about dentistry. Please watch his posts carefully and his activitiy on the dentistry boards.

Then sing the next line!! :D

Mods - this guy is a radiology resident and has a chip on his shoulder about dentistry. Please watch his posts carefully and his activitiy on the dentistry boards.

Where's that coming from?

I'm not being disrespectful, I'm just quoting Little Shop of Horrors.

It's a great musical - you should watch it sometime.

And nope, do not have a grudge against dentists. I think it's a bit weird that it isn't a medical specialty, but likewise I think it's weird that neurology is a residency while cardiology is a fellowship.

Not just about dentistry lol

Ya that is the dentist character that you are quoting in the movie. Nice subtle reference but we can see right through you.

Ya that is the dentist character that you are quoting in the movie. Nice subtle reference but we can see right through you.

It wasn't meant to be subtle. Believe it or not, there are plenty of dental students/dentists who find that character funny too.

I am not an anti-dentite.

And nope, do not have a grudge against dentists. I think it's a bit weird that it isn't a medical specialty, but likewise I think it's weird that neurology is a residency while cardiology is a fellowship.

Ive read we arent a med specialty just due to tradition. With the first two years being almost identical (many schools lumping us in the same class and schedule), the transition wouldnt be that big of a deal.

Ive read we arent a med specialty just due to tradition. With the first two years being almost identical (many schools lumping us in the same class and schedule), the transition wouldnt be that big of a deal.

Yup, that's why I included the cardio neuro comment - same deal there. It's just tradition/politics, no rhyme/reason.

You should be incredibly happy dentistry has no official place in medicine. Thank goodness University of Maryland decided to say no to Hayden and Harris.

lol. Just a joke. Little Shop is pretty good.

You should be incredibly happy dentistry has no official place in medicine. Thank goodness University of Maryland decided to say no to Hayden and Harris.

I am indeed totally thankful armorshell.

Also guys to contribute to the OP's question - if youre looking at it from a competitiveness standpoint, Dentistry is second only to MD on entrance statistics. It kills D.O, pharm, optometry and podiatry. I knew it was above pharm but was very surprised to find D.O.

I am surprised that from 10 years ago pharmacists have gone up like crazy in salary. In 2000 they made a median salary of $70,000 which was only like $3,000 above chiropractors and now they surpassed optometry in median salary. (Source: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...XNgLAC&usg=AFQjCNHqaAsVnRJ9kWbJyLOXLE40UX229A)

And yes, dentistry has always been second to medicine in terms of compensation.

PharmD = more schooling so higher salary?

Compensation is subjective. Some would say 10 years of schooling<slightly lower salary.

From my view (Im a HS student), and excluding numbers I'd say it's all on lifestyle and interest. Dentists have a fine lifestyle and if the dentist loves his job than it is the best... for him.

Lifestyle is a big thing for me, possibly bigger than salary. (Dumb? Maybe. But I know I'm not cut out for 80+ hour weeks).

Dentist B could be rolling in money with a flexible lifestyle but absolutely /dread/ working on people's teeth. Making it the worse non-MD profession.... for him.

If you don't regret your path and enjoy what you do, then it's the best for your interest. I personally have no interest in dentistry but I'll say that they make a comfortable living and isn't in the shallows like Optometry and Pharmacy.

Right now I might like to be a pharmacist, even with the gross influx due to unregulated amount of schools to pop up often. It might suck looking for a job but if I get in and enjoy it, I'd think it's the best health profession.

I think Vet is also up there with Dentistry if you don't mind seeing injured animals everyday... (not bashing vets, I just personally couldn't do it and I love animals)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app

Why the hell are there HS students here?

Stop surfing SDN and focus on getting into college and/or getting laid.

Why the hell are there HS students here?

Stop surfing SDN and focus on getting into college and/or getting laid.

Oop hit a nerve!! -patpat-

I'm in Beijing sick at a hotel waiting for my flight tomorrow and there's nothing to do.

Plus it's summer so, chill.

Oop hit a nerve!! -patpat-

I'm in Beijing sick at a hotel waiting for my flight tomorrow and there's nothing to do.

Plus it's summer so, chill.

Nope, didn't hit a nerve, just feel very very sorry for you.

Nope, didn't hit a nerve, just feel very very sorry for you.

Your animosity was not warranted, and if you feel sorry for me for a non-biased opinion then I would recheck that elitist attitude. You were once a HS student too and if everything is about getting laid to you then that's sad.

This is also irrelevant to the thread so have a good day sir. :p I'd rather be on another part of the forum and engaging on the topic than having someone get their boxers in a knot for whatever reason.

Your opinion is uninformed and your presence on this forum is more than a bit sad.

Get into college first.

Johnnydrama, you are a resident in one of the highest paid specialties in medicine. Why are you wasting your time having petty fights with optos, dentists and high school students?

Johnnydrama, you are a resident in one of the highest paid specialties in medicine. Why are you wasting your time having petty fights with optos, dentists and high school students?

Because the iPhone app makes it too easy.

From my view (Im a HS student), and excluding numbers I'd say it's all on lifestyle and interest. Dentists have a fine lifestyle and if the dentist loves his job than it is the best... for him.

Lifestyle is a big thing for me, possibly bigger than salary. (Dumb? Maybe. But I know I'm not cut out for 80+ hour weeks).

Dentist B could be rolling in money with a flexible lifestyle but absolutely /dread/ working on people's teeth. Making it the worse non-MD profession.... for him.

If you don't regret your path and enjoy what you do, then it's the best for your interest. I personally have no interest in dentistry but I'll say that they make a comfortable living and isn't in the shallows like Optometry and Pharmacy.

Right now I might like to be a pharmacist, even with the gross influx due to unregulated amount of schools to pop up often. It might suck looking for a job but if I get in and enjoy it, I'd think it's the best health profession.

I think Vet is also up there with Dentistry if you don't mind seeing injured animals everyday... (not bashing vets, I just personally couldn't do it and I love animals)

I have no idea if the other person is just having a bad day, but this post is fine. You have a mature outlook. I wouldn't say opto and pharm are in the shallows. I am pretty sure once they start regulating the schools things will go back to normal.

It's fine for anyone interested to come and discuss the OP's question, especially as it applies broadly to the various professions and interests of users on this site. However, it should keep as on topic as possible and with a fairly high degree of civility.

It's my sincere hope that everyone here, both professionals and those on the path toward becoming one, is more than capable of doing that. :)

I didn't get the Peace Mantra when everyone was riding my tail.. </3

Dentistry is the best career to pursue at the moment.

Like feet? Podiatry.
Like mouths? Dentistry.
Like eyes? Optometry.
Like eyes but with a challenge and more respect? Opthamology.
Like pushing pills? Pharmacy.
Like the whole body? Generalist.
Like butts? Proctologist.
Like voodoo-like "medicine" based on little empirical evidence? Homeopathy or Alternative medicine.
Like girl's private parts? OBGYN.
Like dark rooms and lots of cash? Rads.
Like dealing with people of low self-esteem? Plastic.

No? Then go be a business major or an engineer.

I'm kidding.

Last edited:
Like feet? Podiatry.
Like mouths? Dentistry.
Like eyes? Optometry.
Like eyes but with a challenge and more respect? Opthamology.
Like pushing pills? Pharmacy.
Like the whole body? Generalist.
Like butts? Proctologist.
Like voodoo-like "medicine" based on little empirical evidence? Homeopathy or Alternative medicine.
Like girl's private parts? OBGYN.
Like dark rooms and lots of cash? Rads.
Like girl's and boy's with low self-esteem? Plastic.

I'm kidding.

What if I like girls' private parts in dark rooms with lots of cash? :p

This is a silly topic, but I'll chime in. Bottom line: each profession appeals to different people differently. If you just want to make money without a lot of effort, then I would personally be a CRNA. If you just want the title of doctor, then be a DPT (what a joke). If you want flexibility, solid salary, and easier schooling, be a PA. If you want to make a difference in the world, be an MD. If you want the best of everything, be a dentist.

And if you want to actually treat and heal patients: mind, body (including dental), and spirit - be an RN. They are the principal health care provider of the world.

This is a silly topic, but I'll chime in. Bottom line: each profession appeals to different people differently. If you just want to make money without a lot of effort, then I would personally be a CRNA. If you just want the title of doctor, then be a DPT (what a joke). If you want flexibility, solid salary, and easier schooling, be a PA. If you want to make a difference in the world, be an MD. If you want the best of everything, be a dentist.