Dental Is cost truly the most important factor when deciding on what school to attend?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlteredScale

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is cost truly the most important factor when deciding on what school to attend?
To some, yes it will be. To others, it will be a very very important factor

Members don't see this ad.

I think it depends on many things.

Being on the other side now (medical school grad), I am glad I did not attend a school that was more than the school I attended. Although it always gets paid back, seeing the fat number on your student loan statement hurts and I can only imagine how it feels having a debt amount double what I have. There is one dental school that charges over 100k per year IN TUITION ALONE. I would say that is absolutely NOT worth it and is ludacris that a school would even do that. Now, if you are talking about a school that's 35k vs 40k a year, then I would factor in other things like how close to family, the strength of the school, location, etc.

Overall, it depends on the person and what is important to YOU, but I don't think (IMO) you should go to schools that are excessively expensive.

Reactions: 1 user
Is $15k per year (so $60k over 4 years) enough to say choose the cheaper school? I’m just having trouble visualizing the scope of the debt I’ll be in. Like is $300k really that much different from $360k? Or is it just a “drop in the ocean” at that point?
So what are you getting for that $60k? Also, you need to remember that it's 60k upfront, but the amount you pay back after interest is gonna be like 90k (depending on how fast you pay back your debt).

For 60k (or 90k like you said) I’d be within driving distance to my family. The cheaper school is on the other side of the country. I honestly like the cheaper school more anyway, but it’s going to be really hard (logistically and emotionally speaking) to move away. I don’t think that I can justify adding 90k to my debt just to be closer to home.

Thank you so much for your input! It helped a lot!
Definitely pick the cheaper school. 60k/~80k post-interest is a huge amount of money and predents don't really understand these values (kinda as you said). Also, dental school is only 4 years and it flies by QUICK. I'm already halfway through 3rd year while it feels like it's been a long time, it also really hasn't? I can't believe I'm more than halfway through, almost 75% - time has flown. Plus, you can experience a new city and become more independent and mature :)

Now if you can live at home with the closer school and significantly save on rent/food, then choose the closer one. Really do the math as carefully as you can. COA is tuition + fees + rent/food/transportation + miscellaneous dental stuff (esp your dental kits!)

Edited to add: And if you want to specialize, you won't be able to pay that 60k until you finish your residency, so it's still going to accrue interest and be closer to 100k probably...

Members don't see this ad :)
Save your money, it’s very important to keep those costs down. Going to one school over another will not make you a noticeably better doctor. You will get better with residency/practice/experience.

Exactly. If you go to the most expensive school and the least, you still come out a dentist or doctor. You get good training at any of the schools and they all teach the same material. What you do in residency and beyond is what makes you great in your field.

Status
Not open for further replies.