Medical How important of a factor is research at an institution when applying for residency?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm uncertain of what I want to specialize in, although it will likely be something competitive unfortunately based on my current interests.
My question is how much does it matter where you do research? I have the chance to do unpaid research at an institution I'd like to do my residency at, although the research is with a PhD and not an MD, so probably wouldn't get a rec letter out of it. Is this research of any particular worth to that institution then? As in, will they care that I id research at their institution if I don't get a rec letter out of it?
I haven't seen any PD love for doing research at the site where the residency is. The order of preference is, according to our wise SDN residents and PDs is:

1) Research in the field you want to go into
2) Research in a different field
3) Any research done before med school
4) No research is fine for some specialties (FM for example), but this MAY vary where the residency is. I trust we'll get more input on this!

Members don't see this ad.

A couple of points:

1) it doesn’t matter at all that your PI would be a PhD. They can still write a research LOR.
2) there is probably some intangible benefit to getting an LOR at an institution that you would like to go to, particularly if your PI is well-known there. The longer I stay in academia the more it becomes clear that personal connections can be incredibly valuable. It’s not common or expected though.

Whether that is worth the effort of doing unpaid research at an outside institution is a personal decision. I feel like the most important question is what you would do if you DIDN’T do this research. If you have an equally good opportunity at your home institution and it would be financially easier, and you would be more able to continue the research going forward... then it might not be worth bending over backwards to do this research. If you don’t have anything else set up, then you should do SOMETHING, and this would be a reasonable thing to do.

They aren't gonna care based solely on where you did the research. The biggest thing with research is that it can lead to connections and people talking good about you. Sometimes it's better who you know. What if, for example, the PhD has coffee with the PD of the program you are trying to get into...?

For your first questions It depends, are you doing research at the NIH/Cold Harbor Springs/MSKCC/HSS/FredHutch? Performing with an HHMI investigator? The "name brand" of these institutions make it stand out as they are very competitive places to land any position. So in that sense the "where you do research" could matter.

With regards to the PI being a PhD. It really will vary on how close your PI is to the department/specialty that you are interested in. If this PhD is truly a part of the clinical department and partakes in those meetings than perhaps you may get noticed by word of mouth.

Honestly, if you are partaking in research and enjoy it and have a good relationship with your PI, you should get that letter.

Status
Not open for further replies.