Is binocular vision necessary for ortho?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chrismander

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all--this topic has been posted in other forums, but I wanted to know how critical binocular vision is for ortho? I know I'm definitely out of the running for ophtho & neurosurg, but how is it in other surgical fields and specifically ortho?
are there any other medical specialties besides surgery I should be wary of entering because of my eyes?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Go into Ortho, and do sports medicine. Just do everything through the scope - you'll be just fine.

Chrismander said:
Hi all--this topic has been posted in other forums, but I wanted to know how critical binocular vision is for ortho? I know I'm definitely out of the running for ophtho & neurosurg, but how is it in other surgical fields and specifically ortho?
are there any other medical specialties besides surgery I should be wary of entering because of my eyes?
Thanks!

Without depth perception can you even land a solid blow with the mallet? How will you grab that bleeder? How will you use the operating microscope? How will you appriciate spine anatomy? How will you do anything?

Surgery is not for you, sorry.

Members don't see this ad :)
Chrismander said:
Thanks!

Wait-- so you're bipolar, dropped out of an MD/PhD program, took a leave of absence for 'undisclosed reasons' and are worried that it's your monocular visions that's your problem?

Just checking...

I would have to agree depth perception might be tinsy winsy bit important if you are sticking sharp objects into someone.