Is attending a program that is a Candidate for Accreditation safe?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@ptisfun2

So to be quite honest, the correlation between pass rates and and PhDs doesn't concern me. From what I know, the boards are somewhat outdated from what we are learning in school that is adding onto previous knowledge bases. I'm not too concerned with boards pass rate but then again where I'm at it's nearly 100% first try so that's just me.

What I'm concerned about is that PhDs in statistics, neuroscience, physiology, ex. phys, anatomy, rehab sci (this one obviously is huge), PT/PhDs, biostats, (I GUARANTEE some psych professors could influence the practice well also given that pain has so many psychological implications in clinic and new approaches to patient care can affect outcomes and staying on exercise plans)....are not teaching enough.

If you look at med (I have a lot of friends that went that route), their professors are almost all PhDs interspersed with MDs coming in for guest clinical lectures. A lot of those PhDs literally only sit in their labs all day and would rather be hermits working on gene expression than teaching clinical skills. At the same time, the content taught is foundational science for the group that will be going into clinical practice.

Foundational science is where things start.....healthcare is completely changing. I prefer to have the PhDs doing pain research and the PhDs involved in stats and healthcare policy and outcomes teaching students to plant some seeds in their heads so they can evaluate studies later on or problem solve better as state practice acts change more and more and we get more responsibility (and hopefully more collaborative referral networks). Profs also contribute to the knowledge bases of fields better than just the clinician I would assume....especially if they were from a previous generation. You could have the clinical doctorates coming in occasionally for clinical presentations etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
@engmedpt
I could not agree with you more. NPTE pass rates are high. The exam is probably too easy, but it is ensuring minimal competence. I also do not think this article asked a terribly important question.
As for training, you are preaching to the choir :) If you go to the APTA web site about post-professional education, the PhD listed are almost all in Rehab Science/Physical Therapy. We are missing the boat in my opinion.

Reactions: 1 user
I have an interview next month at University of Jamestown for their program, but they are still a candidate for accreditation. The first class started in 2013. I know a program has to be accredited for the students to sit on the licensing exam.

There was another thread four years ago covering this topic. From what I understand, if a program gets to the candidate for accreditation stage they most likely will become accredited. Some people recommend against, others for attending such programs; but I know it is ultimately up to each person if they want to take the risk that the program will fail accreditation. I have seen some candidate programs have set up an agreement with an accredited program to transfer the students in the situation of failing to gain accreditation. Even with this information I still have my hesitations.

What do you think of attending a candidate for accreditation program? Are my hesitations unfounded? How many programs have failed to gain accreditation?

I would stay away from this program if I were you... super scary. Had an interview there.

I attend the University of Jamestown and graduating in 2017 and I absolutely love it. Please remember that this is the opinion of one student and it does not reflect the views of all students here. I have seen good professors and I have seen bad professors but you get that in any type of schooling you do, it comes with going to school. What I love about these professors is their willingness to adapt and change their styles based on how students do and respond. You can tell they want us to succeed and truly learn the information, not for tests but for our career. I have spent countless hours with this "professor that always talks about war" and he is one of the smartest professors that I have ever met and when he talks you should listen because he always will teach you something important when you are in his office. You can't change a personality, we should know better, we are future physical therapists. If you are shying away from University of Jamestown, please do NOT take what this one person has to say for your only purpose not to attend University of Jamestown. This is someone that is angry and this does not represent our program at all. All in all, I have no doubt in my mind that this program will get accredited because we have professors that are committed to teaching, have students that constantly better the program by challenging professors and we have wonderful administrators that make students the number one priority in order to get accredited.

Reactions: 2 users
It is HIGHLY unlikely that this is the opinion of one student...

Stay away from the University of Jamestown. Professors micromanage your life, among other things, plus Fargo is absolutely the worst place to live in the U.S. This city seems to be an attraction for lots of unintelligent, close-minded people.
Hey FargoGirl, for complaining about how staff members are 'close-minded', your posts are pretty close minded as well. Mind backing up your arguments with some facts instead of opinions or bitterness about differences in personalities?

If you and musclesANDbones are unhappy with how your institution is being run, complaining about it on a blog won't help you. Being proactive and working with the staff and other classmates in person may be more beneficial.

Reactions: 1 users
It just really looked like this program did not have its act together. Glad I chose the University of Montana instead.
I completely disagree with your statement. I think you are missing out on an amazing program.
Personally, I don't think CAPTE's accreditation process is that rigorous if a 2-year online program like South College can get accredited.

As for the University of Jamestown, formerly known as Jamestown College:
http://www.studentsreview.com/ND/Jamestown_College.html
This link is about the undergraduate programs at the University of Jamestown and does not encompass the graduate PT program based out of Fargo, ND. Whoever posted this link and their opinion does not have their facts straight and I urge you to do your own research before you make a decision. I am a current student in the PT program at the University of Jamestown and I am very happy with the education I am receiving and have been able to translate the material I have learned into the clinic. I am in my second clinical and have been told by my clinical instructor that I am more prepared than a student in their 4th clinical.

It may not get accredited. I am supposed to graduate in 2017. This program is actually 90 miles away from their main campus which is in the middle of nowhere North Dakota. The PT program is housed in a strip mall.
This statement is very misleading. The PT program has it's own separate building and is not even near a strip mall.

This statement is very misleading. The PT program has it's own separate building and is not even near a strip mall.

"ilovecats90" obviously does not know what a strip mall is. The PT program is in a strip mall and it is a FACT that they share this building with a Jamestown graduate program in education and another graduate program in leadership.

Well, for starters the Fargo Chamber of Commerce invited Colonel Oliver North to give a speech at their annual meeting. Last time I heard being a federally-convicted criminal with close ties to killing innocent civilians doesn't count for leadership. I can give countless more examples. You do know North Dakota banned gay marriage until the Supreme Court ultimately ruled it was the law of the land? Maybe you should get your nose out of your PT books and get a clue.

Hey FargoGirl, for complaining about how staff members are 'close-minded', your posts are pretty close minded as well. Mind backing up your arguments with some facts instead of opinions or bitterness about differences in personalities?

If you and musclesANDbones are unhappy with how your institution is being run, complaining about it on a blog won't help you. Being proactive and working with the staff and other classmates in person may be more beneficial.

"ilovecats90" obviously does not know what a strip mall is. The PT program is in a strip mall and it is a FACT that they share this building with a Jamestown graduate program in education and another graduate program in leadership.

A strip mall is a group of stores that share walls with other stores and they all share a sidewalk/parking lot. The University of Jamestown PT building is a free-standing building with its own parking lot. There are in FACT other buildings in the area, just like any PT school in America. Because Fargo is a CITY with buildings all over the place. Sharing the building with the masters program is a new development that has had no effect on PT students. The masters program doesn't have classes there during the day. I don't understand why someone who has such a negative outlook on the program that they are supposedly enrolled in would attack other students from that school along with the school. Please stop spreading subjective judgement and negative attitudes about our school, if you do actually go there. Feel free to message me if you would like to have a productive conversation about how to contribute to our new program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, for starters the Fargo Chamber of Commerce invited Colonel Oliver North to give a speech at their annual meeting. Last time I heard being a federally-convicted criminal with close ties to killing innocent civilians doesn't count for leadership. I can give countless more examples. You do know North Dakota banned gay marriage until the Supreme Court ultimately ruled it was the law of the land? Maybe you should get your nose out of your PT books and get a clue.

I don't know anything about this school, but I must ask, what in the heck about gay marriage contributes to this conversation?

Reactions: 3 users
I don't know anything about this school, but I must ask, what in the heck about gay marriage contributes to this conversation?
I think we're all thinking the same thing... This is a bit off topic from the program.

Last time I checked a free standing building housing one academic institution, with its own parking lot, does not constitute as a strip mall.

I think we're all thinking the same thing... This is a bit off topic from the program.
VikingSkol28 wanted to know about explicit examples about Fargo. I believe PTisJolly supplied those examples...back to hitting the books!

Whoa! I was thinking about attending this PT School and have never heard of a PT school being ripped on like this. Big red flag I suppose since those supporting the school and those ripping on it seem to be in equal number. Interesting. I know there are a bunch of choices for PT school in nearby Minnesota. Anyone know about St. Catherine's or the new program at Concordia in St. Paul?

I don't know anything about this school, but I must ask, what in the heck about gay marriage contributes to this conversation?[/QUOT
I completely disagree with your statement. I think you are missing out on an amazing program.

This link is about the undergraduate programs at the University of Jamestown and does not encompass the graduate PT program based out of Fargo, ND. Whoever posted this link and their opinion does not have their facts straight and I urge you to do your own research before you make a decision. I am a current student in the PT program at the University of Jamestown and I am very happy with the education I am receiving and have been able to translate the material I have learned into the clinic. I am in my second clinical and have been told by my clinical instructor that I am more prepared than a student in their 4th clinical.
Well usually the reputation of an institution's undergraduate programs do reflect on their graduate programs... just saying. For example, look at all the Ivy League schools or great public universities like Wisconsin or North Carolina.

VikingSkol28 wanted to know about explicit examples about Fargo. I believe PTisJolly supplied those examples...back to hitting the books!

Except the majority of states outlawed gay marriage before the feds came in.. so the "explicit example" was a poor one.

Except the majority of states outlawed gay marriage before the feds came in.. so the "explicit example" was a poor one.
redrose424, North Dakota was not in that majority. Get your facts straight. Here is another fun fact about Fargo:

However it must be noted that "Fargogirl" is correct about a certain professor's rather tendencies... I know I've seen it in action

Oh yeah, I have had classmates explicitly use the "N" word in reference to African Americans and that is for starters..

However it must be noted that "Fargogirl" is correct about a certain professor's rather tendencies... I know I've seen it in action

It seems to me FargoGirl dislikes a certain professor for reasons that seem to be personal. Per her, the professor "micromanages students lives," "pushes their beliefs on the students," and talks about "violent war stories." These all seem like personal issues with a particular professor and not the program. I've experienced professors like this in my undergraduate career, and I'm sure the reason the professor rubs FargoGirl the wrong way is that she disagrees with the views espoused by the professor. This is personal. It seems many other students have come to the defense of the program, and don't have many issues.

By the way, in life there will be bosses and colleagues that you do not click with and disagree with. Its best to learn this learn to get over it.

Oh yeah, I have had classmates explicitly use the "N" word in reference to African Americans and that is for starters..

Again, this is something that very likely can/does happen everywhere. The best thing to do is professionally confront said classmates instead of posting on a forum about it.

It seems to me FargoGirl dislikes a certain professor for reasons that seem to be personal. Per her, the professor "micromanages students lives," "pushes their beliefs on the students," and talks about "violent war stories." These all seem like personal issues with a particular professor and not the program. I've experienced professors like this in my undergraduate career, and I'm sure the reason the professor rubs FargoGirl the wrong way is that she disagrees with the views espoused by the professor. This is personal. It seems many other students have come to the defense of the program, and don't have many issues.

By the way, in life there will be bosses and colleagues that you do not click with and disagree with. Its best to learn this learn to get over it.
The undergraduate institution I attended would throw your ass out on the curb for espousing such views.

Again, this is something that very likely can/does happen everywhere. The best thing to do is professionally confront said classmates instead of posting on a forum about it.
Perhaps given public notice students will get a little more "motivated"

The undergraduate institution I attended would throw your ass out on the curb for espousing such views.

Perhaps given public notice students will get a little more "motivated"

I highly doubt that your institution would do so. And this isn't really a public notice, most students probably will not ever see this and if they do will not care unless confronted personally. Hiding behind the veil of anonymity is unlikely to help your cause.

From personal conversations I have had with other students in this program, students do not have the "BALLS" to confront professors or their classmates. I have tried but the behavior just keeps going on...maybe you should come on down for a visit redrose424, as you have explicitly stated that you are not a student at this school.

Also, recent current events - most notably at the University of Missouri - have cost University presidents their positions. Your statements are all conjecture.

From personal conversations I have had with other students in this program, students do not have the "BALLS" to confront professors or their classmates. I have tried but the behavior just keeps going on...maybe you should come on down for a visit redrose424, as you have explicitly stated that you are not a student at this school.

Also, recent current events - most notably at the University of Missouri - have cost University presidents their positions. Your statements are all conjecture.

I don't think I need to be a student at your school to recognize what an appropriate response to conflict is and how to confront students/professors in a professional manner. You will have me hard pressed to believe that you or FargoGirl have professionally approached a professor or dean about your issues and were blown off.

My statements are conjecture? What about saying that instead of wasting time anonymously complaining on a forum you should perhaps send a polite email to the dean/professor to discuss your issues is "conjecture?" Your statements are conjecture concerning your undergraduate institution "throwing asses on the curb," when I assure you, more often than not this sort of thing is an isolated incident. University of Missouri was certainly the exception and not the rule.

This would be the appropriate avenue for you or FargoGirl to take:

"Complaints about the University or Program

Any complaint that would fall out of the realm of due process regarding the Physical Therapy Program and/or University (for example, from clinical education sites, employers of graduates, and the public) may be addressed to the University of Jamestown, Physical Therapy Program, 4190 26th Avenue South, Fargo ND 58104. If an individual has concerns about sending the complaint to Program personnel, he or she may send it to the Vice President for Academic Affairs, University of Jamestown, 6092 College Lane, Jamestown ND 58405. The Program and University take all complaints seriously and will review any complaint in an expedient manner and take any appropriate action that is warranted.

Once a complaint is made, the Program Director or the Vice President for Academic Affairs will be directly involved in contacting the complainant and gathering any available information (within 15 business days). The Vice President for Academic Affairs will be notified of all complaints. If the matter is resolved, the Program Director or the Vice President for Academic Affairs will write a letter to the complainant acknowledging resolution of the matter. A copy of the letter will be kept on file in the Program Director’s office and the Vice President for Academic Affairs’ office for five years.

If the matter is not resolved to the satisfaction of the complainant or the complaint is about the Program Director, the complainant may submit a written complaint directly to the Vice President for Academic Affairs, University of Jamestown, 6092 College Lane, Jamestown ND 58405. The Vice President for Academic Affairs will meet with each party separately and may schedule a combined meeting with the two parties in order to resolve the complaint. A letter outlining the resolution by the Vice President for Academic Affairs will be filed with the complaint in the Vice President for Academic Affairs’ office. A copy of the resolution may be sent to the complainant at the discretion of the Vice President for Academic Affairs. A copy of the letter will be kept on file in the Vice President for Academic Affairs’ office for five years."

This would be the appropriate avenue for you or FargoGirl to take:

"Complaints about the University or Program

Any complaint that would fall out of the realm of due process regarding the Physical Therapy Program and/or University (for example, from clinical education sites, employers of graduates, and the public) may be addressed to the University of Jamestown, Physical Therapy Program, 4190 26th Avenue South, Fargo ND 58104. If an individual has concerns about sending the complaint to Program personnel, he or she may send it to the Vice President for Academic Affairs, University of Jamestown, 6092 College Lane, Jamestown ND 58405. The Program and University take all complaints seriously and will review any complaint in an expedient manner and take any appropriate action that is warranted.

Once a complaint is made, the Program Director or the Vice President for Academic Affairs will be directly involved in contacting the complainant and gathering any available information (within 15 business days). The Vice President for Academic Affairs will be notified of all complaints. If the matter is resolved, the Program Director or the Vice President for Academic Affairs will write a letter to the complainant acknowledging resolution of the matter. A copy of the letter will be kept on file in the Program Director’s office and the Vice President for Academic Affairs’ office for five years.

If the matter is not resolved to the satisfaction of the complainant or the complaint is about the Program Director, the complainant may submit a written complaint directly to the Vice President for Academic Affairs, University of Jamestown, 6092 College Lane, Jamestown ND 58405. The Vice President for Academic Affairs will meet with each party separately and may schedule a combined meeting with the two parties in order to resolve the complaint. A letter outlining the resolution by the Vice President for Academic Affairs will be filed with the complaint in the Vice President for Academic Affairs’ office. A copy of the resolution may be sent to the complainant at the discretion of the Vice President for Academic Affairs. A copy of the letter will be kept on file in the Vice President for Academic Affairs’ office for five years."

I would rather students know what they are getting into before coming here. Attitudes are often ingrained. If they have been behaving this way for years or decades, change is difficult to come by. And oh yeah, the University of Missouri is hardly the exception to the rule right now .... you obviously have not been paying attention. I can find you DOZENS of other cases.

RR

Wow, this is like the ESPN message boards! Yee-HAW! A current tie between redrose424 and musclesANDbones. Interesting. I have never seen anything like it on this message board!

I would rather students know what they are getting into before coming here. Attitudes are often ingrained. If they have been behaving this way for years or decades, change is difficult to come by. And oh yeah, the University of Missouri is hardly the exception to the rule right now .... you obviously have not been paying attention. I can find you DOZENS of other cases.

Most students who are considering graduate school do their due diligence regarding the school. I understand you have an unfavorable opinion regarding your program, but what I don't understand is this:

A. You clearly have an unfavorable opinion but have offered no relevant examples as to one - WHY you have these opinions and two - what you have proactively done to combat these issues. Frankly, these two combined make it hard to take you seriously. Almost like the student who whines their professor doesn't teach but doesn't bother to be accountable for their own education...

B. Multitudes of other students from your program have commented saying you and FargoGirl are inaccurate. You're entitled to your own opinion, but don't act as if the entirety of the class agrees with it. Or, let me guess, the students disagreeing with you must be the close-minded racist individuals you're referencing!

There have been student-lead protests across the nation, but what ratio of them have had the sort of outcome that the University of Missouri has had? Furthermore, what have these protests accomplished except for further dividing both the campuses and the nation? Don't get me wrong, I don't agree with outright or veiled racism, but a lot of protestors exacerbate the issue. However, I do find this very irrelevant to the original question asked in the post.

"What do you think of attending a candidate for accreditation program? Are my hesitations unfounded? How many programs have failed to gain accreditation?" - So tell me how your rant answers THESE concerns. You seem to be more against the city of Fargo than your program, save for the select vehement racist classmates you have seemed to encounter!

Last edited:

As a PT, don't be surprised when you have to treat people ingrained with attitudes or those who you disagree with. As I said, its best to get used to it.

Last edited:
Most students who are considering graduate school do their due diligence regarding the school. I understand you have an unfavorable opinion regarding your program, but what I don't understand is this:

A. You clearly have an unfavorable opinion but have offered no relevant examples as to one - WHY you have these opinions and two - what you have proactively done to combat these issues. Frankly, these two combined make it hard to take you seriously. Almost like the student who whines their professor doesn't teach but doesn't both to be accountable for their own education...

B. Multitudes of other students from your program have commented saying you and FargoGirl are inaccurate. You're entitled to your own opinion, but don't act as if the entirety of the class agrees with it. Or, let me guess, the students disagreeing with you must be the close-minded racist individuals you're referencing!

There have been student-lead protests across the nation, but what ratio of them have had the sort of outcome that the University of Missouri has had? Furthermore, what have these protests accomplished except for further dividing both the campuses and the nation? Don't get me wrong, I don't agree with outright or veiled racism, but a lot of protestors exacerbate the issue. However, I do find this very irrelevant to the original question asked in the post.

"What do you think of attending a candidate for accreditation program? Are my hesitations unfounded? How many programs have failed to gain accreditation?" - So tell me how your rant answers THESE concerns. You seem to be more against the city of Fargo than your program, save for the select vehement racist classmates you have seemed to encounter!

This student does not need to explain anything to you. Your sarcasm and arrogant tone make you unworthy of a response.

Where are the admins? This thread has spiraled out of control and has no hope of returning to the OP's original question.

This student does not need to explain anything to you. Your sarcasm and arrogant tone make you unworthy of a response.

Yes I'm unworthy of a response because I think its more respectable to go to the program dean or the school administration with concerns instead of ranting on a forum. Complain about your program if you dislike it so much, but at least do something to improve it for future classes.

A. You clearly have an unfavorable opinion but have offered no relevant examples as to one - WHY you have these opinions and two - what you have proactively done to combat these issues. Frankly, these two combined make it hard to take you seriously. Almost like the student who whines their professor doesn't teach but doesn't bother to be accountable for their own education...

I have to agree with Redrose here. This thread started out as a question about the accreditation process and turned ugly when a few disgruntled students and a few satisfied students got into a debate. The reason that I felt the need to contribute was that I thought the picture painted by "fargogirl" , "musclesandbones" and company is not an accurate one. I think the best way to go about improving a new program is to do exactly what redrose said (what was explained the first week of classes) by starting to talk to the specific professor that the problem involves. If that doesn't resolve the issue, you can go to your adviser/a professor you have a better report with. If that still doesn't work then you can submit your complaint to the director. It is a new program and I believe they are committed to preparing us to be independent clinicians. I have had nothing but positive experiences going in and talking to professors, even when we initially disagreed on something. I plan on sending out an email to all 3 classes regarding 5k t-shirts today. This way all the UJPT students on here will know exactly who I am and when you figure that out I hope that you will feel comfortable talking to me instead of venting on these threads for the world to see. Don't forget that a few years ago you would have done anything to get into this program and now you have the opportunity to make it a better one for the classes of the future.

I have an interview next month at University of Jamestown for their program, but they are still a candidate for accreditation. The first class started in 2013. I know a program has to be accredited for the students to sit on the licensing exam.

There was another thread four years ago covering this topic. From what I understand, if a program gets to the candidate for accreditation stage they most likely will become accredited. Some people recommend against, others for attending such programs; but I know it is ultimately up to each person if they want to take the risk that the program will fail accreditation. I have seen some candidate programs have set up an agreement with an accredited program to transfer the students in the situation of failing to gain accreditation. Even with this information I still have my hesitations.

What do you think of attending a candidate for accreditation program? Are my hesitations unfounded? How many programs have failed to gain accreditation?

With regards to the accreditation process, CAPTE just finished their visit recently and our director sent an email out saying everything seemed to go well. They interviewed a group of us from each class, met with faculty, and did some fact checking. Our director updates us when there are new developments even when there is no new news about it. If we do not get accredited, CAPTE will lay out specific reasons as to why and then the program will change those things for the class of 2017. Then the process repeats itself. It should be safe for any students looking at the school for next year or any year after that (in my opinion). Every syllabus is lined up with the different benchmarks that CAPTE checks. Then at the end of every semester we evaluate the course's and professor's ability to reach those goals outlined in the syllabus. An example of when the school changed something when they did not accomplish a goal: the first class (2016) students did not feel that the anatomy course covered the histological characteristics of different muscle types and so that information was reviewed in physiology the next semester. Of course there is always a risk in a new program, but I feel like I am receiving the education that I paid for and am confident that our school will pass with flying colors. Let me know if you would like other examples or have any other questions.

I have to agree with Redrose here. This thread started out as a question about the accreditation process and turned ugly when a few disgruntled students and a few satisfied students got into a debate. The reason that I felt the need to contribute was that I thought the picture painted by "fargogirl" , "musclesandbones" and company is not an accurate one. I think the best way to go about improving a new program is to do exactly what redrose said (what was explained the first week of classes) by starting to talk to the specific professor that the problem involves. If that doesn't resolve the issue, you can go to your adviser/a professor you have a better report with. If that still doesn't work then you can submit your complaint to the director. It is a new program and I believe they are committed to preparing us to be independent clinicians. I have had nothing but positive experiences going in and talking to professors, even when we initially disagreed on something. I plan on sending out an email to all 3 classes regarding 5k t-shirts today. This way all the UJPT students on here will know exactly who I am and when you figure that out I hope that you will feel comfortable talking to me instead of venting on these threads for the world to see. Don't forget that a few years ago you would have done anything to get into this program and now you have the opportunity to make it a better one for the classes of the future.

I just sent out the email to all 3 classes at UJ regarding 5k T-shirts. I wish to remain anonymous on this forum but am ok with disclosing my identity to current students via email. Now current students know exactly who I am. If you want to talk about how to improve our program or just need to vent, please do not hesitate to contact me. Lets move this discussion into a productive setting.

Whoa! I was thinking about attending this PT School and have never heard of a PT school being ripped on like this. Big red flag I suppose since those supporting the school and those ripping on it seem to be in equal number. Interesting. I know there are a bunch of choices for PT school in nearby Minnesota. Anyone know about St. Catherine's or the new program at Concordia in St. Paul?

I interviewed and was accepted to Concordia St. Paul. Seems like a really awesome program and the current students I talked to seemed to love it. Someone asked about whether or not they were worried the accreditation status, and the faculty and students appeared sure that everything was A-OK!