Is ASVAB required for HPLRP or MDSSP (National Guard)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zastrownaut

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to get some questions answered as my recruiter has been a little unclear.

I've communicated to him I'm in the process of applying to dental school and awaiting an acceptance. I want to be able to finance my time in dental school with the National Guard through HPLRP or possibly the MDSSP.

So far my recruiter has had me take the ASVAB and I will be doing the MEPS in a few weeks. I saw a post earlier on here about a person who was in a similar situation as me who didn't need to take the ASVAB but only needed the MEPs.

I just want to make sure me and my recruiter for the national guard are on the same page in the process.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

The ASVAB is for enlisted personnel - you should not need to take it.
Thanks for your help. Is OCS required as well? Now that I know this, I'm not sure the outline he has provided applies to me at all.

Members don't see this ad :)
Call another recruiter somewhere (anywhere) and ask about the process. This doesn't sound right. The military doesn't need to gauge your vocational aptitude.

Reactions: 1 user