General Admissions & OTCAS Is applying to three OT progams too few?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OTLetsDoThis!

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My area has slim pickings in OT schools, and I've found only three that suit me for both location and prerequisites. Is this too few?

Members don't see this ad.

With the rising competitiveness of OT programs, 3 seems few. But if you feel like your application is strong enough and you're not willing to go out of state, then you're stuck with these 3 options. I only applied to 2 back in 2010 (for the class starting in the Summer of 2011) and was lucky to get into my top choice. I was waitlisted with my 2nd choice.

It depends on how strong you feel your application is and how important it is to you to be accepted this year. It never hurts to have back up schools in other areas, but of course that is only if you are willing to relocate. I only applied to 4 schools, all in my area, and was denied at 1, accepted at 2 right away, and accepted off the wait list just last week at my first choice. Good luck! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes. Especially if you feel like your app isn't that strong. I only applied to 4 last year and I didn't get into any of them. I was waitlisted but that didn't go anywhere. This time around I'm not taking any chances because if I don't get in then I'll have to wait another YEAR to reapply. So yea, I'm applying to a lot of schools!

Applying to more would give you a bigger chance (and a little peace of mind during the waiting), although it is more work. I only applied to 1 school, and when they waitlisted me, I was beating myself over not applying to a few more. They did accept me in the end, but still, it was stressful.

I applied to 4, interviewed at 2, and got in one so I personally believe 3 is cutting it really close, even if your stats are really good. You see sometimes it may not come down to stats, there are numerous of reasons as to why an interview with an OT school may not go well, also you may really be turned off to the area in which you would be going to school at and I am not saying you gotta love the place or even like it but if you feel you can't even tolerate a certain area for a couple years of school due to the climate, the environment, the people, etc. then I would advise you to seriously consider not going there cause that is much more stress you don't want during the rigorous OT schooling ahead. Considering aspects such as these is why applying to 4+ schools if possible would be profitable.

I applied to only 1. Got rejected one year but thankfully got in this year. But during the waiting, I regularly wished I just applied to other schools even just to have options and figure out to do if I didn't get into my first choice. If you really want to do OT, I would recommend applying to as many schools as possible.