Is anyone on SDN actually happy with their decision to go to medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Lastly, not much is going to get you told to mind your ******* business faster than wondering into some random conversation and trying to give parenting advice. At minimum you need to actually show you have the capability and chops to even get into medical school before trying to give a whole thread advice? No?

Let's get this straight. Number one, these are public forums and posts. You can't "mind your own business" if the whole WORLD is seeing this stuff. If you're that worried about it, say it privately or keep it to yourself. Simple...easy.

Number two, who said I was giving parenting advice? The syntax of my previous post gave no suggestion of the sort. I merely commented on parents and their progeny being in the same profession. The motivation behind that always raises an eyebrow. Sorry if I hit a nerve, seeing how your previous commentary was laced with blocked-out expletives. That in itself is pretty telling.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Let's get this straight. Number one, these are public forums and posts. You can't "mind your own business" if the whole WORLD is seeing this stuff. If you're that worried about it, say it privately or keep it to yourself. Simple...easy.

Number two, who said I was giving parenting advice? The syntax of my previous post gave no suggestion of the sort. I merely commented on parents and their progeny being in the same profession. The motivation behind that always raises an eyebrow. Sorry if I hit a nerve, seeing how your previous commentary was laced with blocked-out expletives. That in itself is pretty telling.

You didn't hit a nerve. But I wonder of I did?! Lol. I'm merely pointing out that until you actually are in a position to give any real commentary maybe it's best if you don't? You're right it's a free country, a free internet, and a free forum. You can do whatever classless thing you like. Yay internnertubz..

Good luck getting in.

Hope your kids aren't making my kids' lattes because you told them to pursue their hopes and dreams in Eastern European literature or philosophy. I know the market is tight on those hopes and dreams jobs. But if you try really, really hard and believe in yourself . . .

Reactions: 1 users

Alright it's time for you to go back to pre-allo. This here's a forum for medical students, not psychopaths.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't say to stay away. But you're right about computer science and IT. That's a booming industry, especially out West in the San Francisco Bay Area. I was out there briefly to pursue an alternate career, and I couldn't believe how many people were in tech. The most alarming part is that a lot of the employees have only high school diplomas (especially those people working at start-ups, which is all the rage out there). To think that you can make so much money without having a decent amount of education behind you really makes my blood boil. The tech industry out there is also to blame for the extremely ridiculous rents and cost of living in a city that's destined to be rocked by a massive, killer earthquake real soon...but I digress.

As far as I'm concerned, I'll deal with the rote memorization for a couple years and work towards a specialty I can get a job in. Just pay me enough to live decently well with food and a nice place for shelter, and I'm good. Seriously. I'm not a materialistic person, and all I need are the basics. As far as the $300,000+ debt goes, bring it! I'll be single, unmarried, no kids...and they'll get whatever I can give them. My 2 goals in life will be these:
1) Making a substantial contribution to society's well-being (even if it's on its way towards failing miserably), doing something that I enjoy doing; and
2) Engaging in the most intense sexual pleasure known to man, with men and/or women. I don't discriminate! Whatever feels good IS good. There's nothing like diagnosing 80 cases a day, coming home to eat, and then calling up your bud for a little man on man time. It's glorious! Pleasure over pain, always.

Dude, #2, what?

Reactions: 2 users
Hope your kids aren't making my kids' lattes because you told them to pursue their hopes and dreams in Eastern European literature or philosophy. I know the market is tight on those hopes and dreams jobs. But if you try really, really hard and believe in yourself . . .

Mid-career philosophy BAs earn more than all non-engineering/CS science majors.
(And more than all social sciences/humanities majors except for finance/economics too.)

You didn't hit a nerve. But I wonder of I did?! Lol. I'm merely pointing out that until you actually are in a position to give any real commentary maybe it's best if you don't? You're right it's a free country, a free internet, and a free forum. You can do whatever classless thing you like. Yay internnertubz..

Good luck getting in.

Since you're playing pretend board ops and lecturing about the purpose of this forum...let's actually get this straight.

This is a forum primarily for medical students to discuss topics relevant to medical school. Others like jdh who are not medical students post here because they are contributing to those discussions from an informed and related perspective - having gone through that same medical school process and still working with students in their role as residents/fellows/attendings.

Premeds post here too, and that's just fine when they are contributing to the discussion positively.

What's not permitted is for someone - who won't even be taking the MCAT for another year at least, won't even be applying to med school for two years, and who knows if will actually ever get into med school - to come into this forum and lecture the posters here, when you have no experience with medical school, residency, or the practice of medicine (which is why jdh made the post he did comparing it to wading into the parenting discussion).

I will agree that I now see this is an allopathic post, so no pre-meds really belong posting here. I'm glad you have my timeline all figured out (which is dead wrong by the way, since you know absolutely nothing about me). You say I know nothing about the practice of medicine? Pathology IS medicine, and yes, I have practiced it. So you can take your derisive comments and shove them so far up your you-know-what that you'll asphyxiate in front of your patients. I will always advocate to do no harm, but wishing harm (especially on people like you) is another story. The number of physicians posting here with comments like the above should actually have their licenses revoked.
Done with this particular thread.

I looked at your posts. You like to give advice about taking the MCAT when you said you aren't taking the new MCAT until 2016.

You like lecturing med students when you said you are just starting your post-bacc.

You've posted about your brilliant scheme of applying to ivies, state schools, and the carib. What could go wrong with a plan like that?

An undergrad pathology assistant degree isn't medicine. All I hear is another under qualified low-level provider who thinks they're a doctor.

Lecturing med students? Not at all. Give me an example of the so-called "lecturing." What you see as lecturing is most likely more subjective than anything else. Your flat out, hyperbolic conclusions about what I say is DISGUSTING, to say the very least.

In the hospitals I've worked at, do you know how many times people came up to me and called me Doctor and assumed I was one? This goes for patients, lab personnel, nurses, and actual doctors. I took all that as one of many signs that med school is a must.

As for the supposed plan you read, nothing could go wrong as long as everything is followed through. Being an under-qualified, F'ed-over, mid-level provider (since that's what I really classify as) provides a TON of tremendous motivation to become certified, qualified, and licensed. To stifle any of that by society or others would be very detrimental to itself. That's how people can resort to criminality. You're supposed to let people actually grow, develop, and contribute to society....not put them down or anything, which is what people like you are doing. And honestly, you will pay for it somehow if you keep up that attitude. I'm sure of it.

P.S. I don't need creepers looking at and dissecting all my posts.

Last edited by a moderator:
I looked at your posts. You like to give advice about taking the MCAT when you said you aren't taking the new MCAT until 2016.

You like lecturing med students when you said you are just starting your post-bacc.

You've posted about your brilliant scheme of applying to ivies, state schools, and the carib. What could go wrong with a plan like that?

An undergrad pathology assistant degree isn't medicine. All I hear is another under qualified low-level provider who thinks they're a doctor.

BEKhIb-CIAAran5jpglarge.jpg

Bowls have been flipped. Soggy cereal everywhere.

Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Now ITT: a person who said they were done with the thread, still posting.

Also ITT: a person who gets called "doctor" all the time but is not.

This thread is becoming more and more legit by the post.

Reactions: 9 users
I will agree that I now see this is an allopathic post, so no pre-meds really belong posting here. I'm glad you have my timeline all figured out (which is dead wrong by the way, since you know absolutely nothing about me). You say I know nothing about the practice of medicine? Pathology IS medicine, and yes, I have practiced it. So you can take your derisive comments and shove them so far up your you-know-what that you'll asphyxiate in front of your patients. I will always advocate to do no harm, but wishing harm (especially on people like you) is another story. The number of physicians posting here with comments like the above should actually have their licenses revoked.
Done with this particular thread.

Does anyone know if the Craigslist Killer had a brother?

I think you might be his brother.

Reactions: 5 users
P.S. I don't need creepers looking at and dissecting all my posts.

My 2 goals in life will be these:
2) Engaging in the most intense sexual pleasure known to man, with men and/or women. I don't discriminate! Whatever feels good IS good. There's nothing like diagnosing 80 cases a day, coming home to eat, and then calling up your bud for a little man on man time. It's glorious! Pleasure over pain, always.

Spock says, 'no more posting.'
200_s.gif

Be easy on PathAsst, you guys...

He's not the troll SDN deserves, but he's the troll SDN needs right now... Gone are the days of FlatEarth22 and arkangeloid -- who will carry the torch? I think we've found the answer.

Reactions: 6 users
Finished my surgical rotation in 2014. I'm really happy about that.

But I am happy with my career choice. Got a love/hate relationship with the ACA coming out, with less pay and possibly more work (depending on the specialty and location.)

Since you're playing pretend board ops and lecturing about the purpose of this forum...let's actually get this straight.

This is a forum primarily for medical students to discuss topics relevant to medical school. Others like jdh who are not medical students post here because they are contributing to those discussions from an informed and related perspective - having gone through that same medical school process and still working with students in their role as residents/fellows/attendings.

Premeds post here too, and that's just fine when they are contributing to the discussion positively.

What's not permitted is for someone - who won't even be taking the MCAT for another year at least, won't even be applying to med school for two years, and who knows if will actually ever get into med school - to come into this forum and lecture the posters here, when you have no experience with medical school, residency, or the practice of medicine (which is why jdh made the post he did comparing it to wading into the parenting discussion).

Hey now, there is a special niche in allo carved out just for me. And it's pink and glittery and sparkly. :D

Good luck getting in.

Whether or not he has gotten into medical shool has zero bearing on this discussion. Quit trying to pull 'rank'. Not pressuring your kids into going into medicine is not the same thing as encouraging them to get a lib arts degree. Engineering, accounting, law, finance, business administration, etc are all potentially lucrative degree programs.

I'll just be over here laughing to death

Whether or not he has gotten into medical shool has zero bearing on this discussion. Quit trying to pull 'rank'. Not pressuring your kids into going into medicine is not the same thing as encouraging them to get a lib arts degree. Engineering, accounting, law, finance, business administration, etc are all potentially lucrative degree programs.

You're a funny guy.

I wouldn't say to stay away. But you're right about computer science and IT. That's a booming industry, especially out West in the San Francisco Bay Area. I was out there briefly to pursue an alternate career, and I couldn't believe how many people were in tech. The most alarming part is that a lot of the employees have only high school diplomas (especially those people working at start-ups, which is all the rage out there). To think that you can make so much money without having a decent amount of education behind you really makes my blood boil. The tech industry out there is also to blame for the extremely ridiculous rents and cost of living in a city that's destined to be rocked by a massive, killer earthquake real soon...but I digress.

As far as I'm concerned, I'll deal with the rote memorization for a couple years and work towards a specialty I can get a job in. Just pay me enough to live decently well with food and a nice place for shelter, and I'm good. Seriously. I'm not a materialistic person, and all I need are the basics. As far as the $300,000+ debt goes, bring it! I'll be single, unmarried, no kids...and they'll get whatever I can give them. My 2 goals in life will be these:
1) Making a substantial contribution to society's well-being (even if it's on its way towards failing miserably), doing something that I enjoy doing; and
those guys are self taught in programing, many spent years reading books, in front of computers, learning computer programing is a skill, and job employers can do a 15 minute test on any person to see how much proeficieny they have in it, they dont need diplomas. Very individual dependent, there are people who spend years taking a masters at computer science and cant code their way out of a box.

+ a million, man. Why are you still going? I remember you were irritated with med school but not to that extent. It sounds like you absolutely do not want to be in med school....
Ended up dropping out. Sucks to flush one semester of tuition/COL down the drain, but whatever.

Reactions: 5 users
Ended up dropping out. Sucks to flush one semester of tuition/COL down the drain, but whatever.

Wow... Kudos for having the fortitude/guts to reflect, arrive at that decision (and actually go through with it) before getting in "too deep".

Kind of surreal since I've read your posts about your journey for years now. Respect. Good luck moving forward.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I hated everything except physiology and path the first 2 years. I was miserable ALL the time. Finally got to third year and suddenly it was like I reached the promised land. Got my step 1 score back and I finally could let all that stress off and just be happy. Clinical medicine is awesome.

I just really like clinical medicine and talking to people. Memorizing powerpoint slides all day every day for 2 years was so horrific I don't think I could do that again--glad I don't have to.

I'm glad I had lots of physicians in the family so I knew what I was getting into. I was lucky enough that I knew I'd really like 3rd year on, so I just gritted my teeth and worked hard for 2 years so I'd have options for residency. I'd hate to see someone quit medicine based on the experience of the first 2 years.

Reactions: 3 users
I hated everything except physiology and path the first 2 years. I was miserable ALL the time. Finally got to third year and suddenly it was like I reached the promised land. Got my step 1 score back and I finally could let all that stress off and just be happy. Clinical medicine is awesome.

I just really like clinical medicine and talking to people. Memorizing powerpoint slides all day every day for 2 years was so horrific I don't think I could do that again--glad I don't have to.

I'm glad I had lots of physicians in the family so I knew what I was getting into. I was lucky enough that I knew I'd really like 3rd year on, so I just gritted my teeth and worked hard for 2 years so I'd have options for residency. I'd hate to see someone quit medicine based on the experience of the first 2 years.

Thank you, it is always so nice to hear this. I think I'll feel the same way - I loved working in the hospital as a scribe, even though everything I did was scut and notes. Keeping my sanity for now... 2.85 semesters left :)

Med school sucks.

I like med school. I imagine I will like it more once I stop learning about mineral and vitamin deficiencies and learn more interesting stuff in 2nd year.

I like med school. I imagine I will like it more once I stop learning about mineral and vitamin deficiencies and learn more interesting stuff in 2nd year.

2nd year has def been an improvement in content matter.

This.

If you have worked FT before, then you know this is true. This will keep you from looking enviously at your non-med friends who are working and making money while you study and go into debt. Once you realize how much suckage they have/will have in their jobs, that envious feeling goes away. Yes, even for those friends who have those lucrative finance/I-banking jobs that look good now but for many are a whole different story 5-10 years down the road. Once you've seen it all play out, you can just focus on what you're doing without feeling like you're missing out on something.

this is crucial. if someone who is in med. school has real life experience and perspective, that person will absolutely not live with envy for the other side of the grass. no job is perfect and work ultimately sucks because every professional or common man has to deal with clients who try scams, lawsuits or flat out kill you (a doc was stabbed to death in dubai about two years ago in a hospital and just a few days ago, a doc in america was stabbed to death). well, there *are* a few perfect careers and that would be professional sports such as baseball and basketball or entertainment such as justin beiber or nicki minaj where you make a generation of earnings in a year or two and have almost no injury risk for the rest of your life. the nfl, not so much but anyway, this is just based off a genetic lottery and something you can't control. for what you can, and from the people i know, going to med. school was a satisfying decision because of job security and they liked the work. society only respects entertainers as doctors are seen as money hungry scavengers and lawyers even worse (law is dead btw, read up about the industry, it's awful to be in law unless you are a genius). i know a few lawyers who are now working making $350 a week. there are TOO many lawyers in the market and every year new ones are minted. i have not yet read about a medical school scam but type in law school scam on google and read about how schools are scamming kids out of hundreds of thousands of dollars with very little return on investment - lawyers (unless they are geniuses in their fields) can enjoy part time work at $35 to $50 an hour with no benefits. what a great life.

Last edited:

Sorry to hear but also glad that you were able to evaluate whether it was the right field for you and get out early. I think there's definitely too much of the "preclinical years suck, it'll get better" mindset on SDN and people just stubbornly push ahead while being miserable.

Not sure if you have already covered pharma, but learning about the vitamins and minerals is a joke compared to the list of drugs that I need to memorize over the next 3 days for my exam. These cephalosporins are driving me nuts!

All,

I've been reading through the topics on this forum and all I can say is...wow this is depressing lol. Forgive my possible naivety, but is anyone on this forum actually happy and excited about their career choice? I was recently accepted to medical school and all of the med students I personally know are very happy (on the surface, at least). I know the education and training are grueling, but is anyone genuinely happy with their current experience?? I am confident that I am getting into medicine for the right reasons, but the litany of negativity surrounding some of the topics in this forum is quite disheartening.
Ill let u know on Black Monday in March.

"There is nothing good or bad in medical school, but professors make it so."

Last edited:
Not sure if you have already covered pharma, but learning about the vitamins and minerals is a joke compared to the list of drugs that I need to memorize over the next 3 days for my exam. These cephalosporins are driving me nuts!
Ugh pharm drive me nuts too! BUT, I'll say, I still enjoy it way more than biochem and other first year stuff. xD

Personally second year has been better, the material is just more interesting and relevant. First year felt like I was back in college or doing PhD courses, I didn't feel like I was in med school, it was miserable.

The only thing I like more than medical school is complaining about medical school.

Wow, I'm surprised that you actually did that - although, to be honest, not completely surprised given your purported interests and the general tenor of your posts. Good on you for actually doing some reflection and realizing it wasn't worth it to you in the end.

It was definitely grim for me during M2 and M3, but now that I can see the light at the end of the tunnel I'm very happy with where I'm going and am excited about my career and the field I'm going into. It took about 3.5 years to get to that point, though.

Reactions: 2 users