Is anyone on SDN actually happy with their decision to go to medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I see 'enjoying prime of life' a lot in SDN and to be honest I have trouble grasping that concept... I am a non trad who worked in my 20s, I don't think I was doing anything different than what my classmates in their 20s are doing now... I was working and going out at times and traveling... Most of my med school classmates are doing that right now... I guess I was not having enough fun in my 20s...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
The worst part for me is the fact that I have to sacrifice prime of life. By the time I finish residency I'll be 30. I don't need people telling me that 30 is still young - there are things only 20 year olds can do. But I'm the one who chose it so whatever.

Also I think that working a regular job is ideal for people in their 20s and sure as hell beats med school. You might be living paycheck to paycheck but you're a man free from debt and are not bound by constant worry about the future. Feel like taking a six week motorcycle tour of the country? No problem. Feel like trying your hand at boxing or something? Go ahead.

With medicine it s always about the future. College: all this hard work will pay off when I get into medical school. Medical school: all this sacrifice will pay off when I land that residency. Residency: these 100 hr work weeks will pay off when I finally practice and make the big bucks. Finish residency: now all I have to do is pay off these debts. When all is said and done you're 35+, out of the prime of your life, and just starting to settle

Prime example of "grass is always greener"

Although I somewhat agree with the general idea of this (hence why I took time off before coming back and "sacrificing my prime of life"), it is not quite as rainbows and unicorns as you make it out to be. I am much happier now that I am back in school.

Reactions: 2 users
Prime example of "grass is always greener"

Although I somewhat agree with the general idea of this (hence why I took time off before coming back and "sacrificing my prime of life"), it is not quite as rainbows and unicorns as you make it out to be. I am much happier now that I am back in school.
Seriously. I don't know why that guy thought you can just randomly take 6 weeks off to travel and do fun things like you have no other responsibilities in the world and like you don't have to worry about almost surely losing your job, and then the struggles of trying to get as good a job when you decide you're done running around in lala land. Definitely seems like someone who never really worked or supported them or others.

I totally agree with you though, I had some great experiences taking time off before med school, and I am extremely happy with med school so far. I love being in school and getting to learn what we get to, and if what every upperclassman tells me about each year being better than the one before, I hope it only continues to be as good as it is.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I see 'enjoying prime of life' a lot in SDN and to be honest I have trouble grasping that concept... I am a non trad who worked in my 20s, I don't think I was doing anything different than what my classmates in their 20s are doing now... I was working and going out at times and traveling... Most of my med school classmates are doing that right now... I guess I was not having enough fun in my 20s...
Traveling during med school -- sure, if your parents are rich. Where are the middle class students going to get an extra couple thousand bucks to take a vacation?

I definitely had more time in my gap year, even when I was working 50-60 hours a week on swing shift.

Traveling during med school -- sure, if your parents are rich. Where are the middle class students going to get an extra couple thousand bucks to take a vacation?

I definitely had more time in my gap year, even when I was working 50-60 hours a week on swing shift.
I think many students in my class come from upper middle class family... and you don't need that much money to have a couple of vacation per year...

Last edited:
Finish residency: now all I have to do is pay off these debts. When all is said and done you're 35+, out of the prime of your life, and just starting to settle

The prime of your life is when you make it. I had a great time in my 20s and I'm having a great time in my 30s.

It's up to you how you frame your enjoyment. You don't need to be banging stupid college girls and slamming 10 PBRs a night to have fun.

Reactions: 14 users
I dread waking up and studying for the day, and I can barely motivate myself to do so. I'm incurring massive amounts of debt and postponing my adult life for nearly a decade. Psych residencies still push 60 hours a week, if not more. Overall, it's just a terrible fit and I regret ever going down this path.

Why are you still in class? Get out as soon as possible before any more debt piles up.

+ a million, man. Why are you still going? I remember you were irritated with med school but not to that extent. It sounds like you absolutely do not want to be in med school....

I come from a lower class family (my dad is a truck driver) and I get no income support from my family at all. I have traveled every break during med school. It's all about budgeting and not wanting to stay at the nicest places, do the most expensive things, etc. I have had a great time during med school. I have worked many jobs since I was 15 and I can tell you, there is nothing worse than working in a job you hate, even if you have a ton of free time. I will take 80 hours of med school anyday over 20 hours of a job I hate. I wake up everyday excited to go to school, see patients, and learn. Breaks are just a bonus because I truly enjoy the time that I am in school. On the contrary, many of my friends who are out working their high 5 figure to low six figure salaries hate their lives and live for their free time. The ends of their vacations/weekends are always anxiety producing because they know that they have to go back to a job that they hate. This is not the case for med school.

Reactions: 8 users

The prime of your life is when you make it. I had a great time in my 20s and I'm having a great time in my 30s.

It's up to you how you frame your enjoyment. You don't need to be banging stupid college girls and slamming 10 PBRs a night to have fun.

I second this. Banging dumb college girls is only fun for so long and when you are a dumb college kid yourself. That life gets old fast. Eventually you mature and realize that there is more to life than this. Your enjoyment starts to come from healthier things with a little more substance. There are only so many babes you can bang before it's just another girls, just another night, just another drink. I don't miss that life one bit.

Medical school was horribly bad not only because of the amount of studying, but being at the bottom of the totem pole, being treated like **** by the people above me, being ridiculed for not knowing subject matter that I was in the rotation to learn, and being reminded every step of the way that someone or something could basically end my career. Professionalism this and that.

Your whole post was very well-put and insightful, but the bolded above really hit home. I think that may be the single most stressful thing about medical school -- and stress is the single worst thing about medical school for me.

I am amazed at the positivity through this thread, not very SDN-like haha. As a 4th year going into IM then heme/onc, I can honestly say that I've loved most all of medical school. I've grown a ton as a person and am amazed every day at how much I've learned. I may sing a different tune in residency but med school was great.

Reactions: 1 users

I felt the same way. There was a ZERO percent chance I could have ever traveled in med school, unless I begged someone to give me 5K. Even now in residency, with extremely small amount of money, I'd be broke if I traveled out of the country.....

@circulus vitios
Why dont you just do the bare minimum to pass? If you turn it a notch down from busy season in accounting do you think you'd be able to simply pass?

Members don't see this ad :)
I've noticed that a lot of people on the SDN forums are very, very negative people. It's as if their inner negative selves come out in full view for the whole world to see when they're behind a computer screen. Those kinds of people rarely are successful in any career they choose. I'm sick and tired of "med students" saying that this or that specialty has no jobs, or this school is really competitive and you won't get in, etc etc. It's pathetic, and whatever they say is downright false. Just do what you have to do and keep quiet. Enough is enough.

I've noticed that a lot of people on the SDN forums are very, very negative people. It's as if their inner negative selves come out in full view for the whole world to see when they're behind a computer screen. Those kinds of people rarely are successful in any career they choose. I'm sick and tired of "med students" saying that this or that specialty has no jobs, or this school is really competitive and you won't get in, etc etc. It's pathetic, and whatever they say is downright false. Just do what you have to do and keep quiet. Enough is enough.

Yep, we SDN physicians and medical students are rarely successful in medicine. Or are you implying that we've got a bunch of people posing as medical students on this site? Is that why med students is in quotations?

If it changes your perspective, @circulus vitios had a similar perspective as a pre-med. He said we were overblowing how much parts of training can suck, and that we had bad attitudes, and he would do fine since he was a non-trad with work experience. Well, read his recent posts.

Also, most of the advice in the allopathic forums is from med students, residents, fellows, and attendings. I think it's easy for you to say "Whatever they say is downright false" because it fits with what you want medicine to be, but that's not going to be the case. I love my career, but if you can't open your eyes and see problems where they exist, you're setting yourself up for trouble (like @circulus vitios ).

Reactions: 8 users
Yep, we SDN physicians and medical students are rarely successful in medicine. Or are you implying that we've got a bunch of people posing as medical students on this site? Is that why med students is in quotations?

He's upset at me because I said that the path job market is terrible and he wants to do path. I told him there are people doing multiple fellowships after residency but apparently it's mass hysteria and lies. Also I'm bad at reading patient lab results and don't belong in the medical profession

I took a 3 week trip to Southeast Asia after Step 1, and my parents are the very opposite of rich, they didnt help me at all. I knew I wanted to take this trip so saved accordingly. I took out The maximum available loans and saved up 3k. Now granted I don't live in SF or NYC where the COL is outrageous. I also had a few other classmates who took some pretty baller trips without the help of their parents. It's just about priorities.

Part of the negativity is inherent in any sort of forum format. People generally post when they are experiencing conflict or struggle. Threads that don't die are usually ones where there is substantial disagreement around a topic. If people only posted about the good stuff this would be a pretty boring place. There's something to be said for shared struggle and many find comfort in posting here about their own difficulties and hearing similar experiences from peers around the country. I think this is where a lot of the negativity comes from, but it helps to think about it in the context that people are only posting about a small percentage of their experience. Those parts are real and they suck, but there are other parts that don't.

There's also a lot of "tough love" on this board. One of the hardest things I've wrestled with in my own adult life is the realization that 95% of the time, when something isn't going the way I want it to go, it's probably my fault. It's so easy to blame others or the system or what have you, but often we are the cause of our own problems. A number of posters come here looking for sympathy and are met with some tough love asking them to do some soul searching and consider the possibility that they themselves are the problem, that their poor decisions led to the poor outcome and it was nobody else's fault. The flip side is that once someone realizes this, it also empowers them to do something about it.

Sometimes the pontificating can be a bit much, but it doesn't take a genius to realize that an anonymous forum may not be the best place for authoritative, personalized career advice. It's great for getting many viewpoints, but nothing beats talking to real human beings in a given field who know you and know what they're talking about. Most of the pontifications and viewpoints here aren't totally false, but rather limited by the anonymity of this medium. If you get to know the forums a bit, you'll start to see who the really knowledgeable posters are, and we have some really great ones. Attendings in every field, program directors, program coordinators, attorneys, etc. -- they're around and active.

Reactions: 12 users
One of the hardest things I've wrestled with in my own adult life is the realization that 95% of the time, when something isn't going the way I want it to go, it's probably my fault. It's so easy to blame others or the system or what have you, but often we are the cause of our own problems. A number of posters come here looking for sympathy and are met with some tough love asking them to do some soul searching and consider the possibility that they themselves are the problem, that their poor decisions led to the poor outcome and it was nobody else's fault. The flip side is that once someone realizes this, it also empowers them to do something about it.

Thanks for this post. When I was younger, I woke up in the hospital without remembering how I got there. More than once. I'm really lucky that I didn't kill myself with drugs and liquor... but I came close. Knowing that I still have the chance to accomplish my dreams despite all of that is incredible. I'm so thankful that I found a school that believes in me, and no matter what, I don't want to let them down. I don't want to let myself down. Because if I give up, or if I repeat the same mistakes, I'll really only have myself to blame.

I feel empowered by my mistakes. I know there are still a ton of tough times ahead, but I chose those tough times when I chose to become a doctor.

Everyone needs to blow off steam. Having a forum where a ton of people are in the same boat is a pretty great place to do that.

There's a stark difference between pessimism and realism. "Just do what you have to do and keep quiet." contributes to why some specialties are less than favorable these days, not to mention that if it weren't for the feedback from others who have already walked the path, there'd be many more disillusioned physicians. It's incumbent on the reader of these forums to develop the mental and emotional maturity to parse the information presented here so they can make informed decisions.

Do you live somewhere with crazy high COL?

I've had plenty to take vacations in residency. I've also put aside a decent chunk into investment/savings.

Not really...I always see 7 day vacations for Europe for example run in the 5-6K range. Factor in good hotel, transportation, dining, airfare, etc...it seems like most people are dropping 10K to travel for a week.

Not really...I always see 7 day vacations for Europe for example run in the 5-6K range. Factor in good hotel, transportation, dining, airfare, etc...it seems like most people are dropping 10K to travel for a week.

I've done months in Europe for a fraction of that. Granted I wasn't staying in top flight hotels in the most trendy areas, but I figured I wasn't there to spend all day in a hotel anyhow. I did this back before couch surfing and air bnb, so there may be even better deals out there now. If you go with friends it can be even cheaper.

Airfare sucks but everything else you can find deals on. You can sublet an apartment for a month for far less than a hotel, especially in less trendy areas. You can shop at local markets and make your own food, etc. Split with 2-3 buddies I could easily do a month for under 3k.

Me, too. I am so happy to be here on the path to the career I actually want to do instead of wasting my life away in jobs that were not fulfilling.

Reactions: 4 users

I'll second operaman, I spent 36 days in Europe and spent 4k total. 10k for a week is insane, most people are not spending 10k for a week in Europe.

lol, is the post for real? this post is so riddled with blanket statements that I don't even know where to get started. please come back after you at least finished M1 and know what it entails to be a med student.

Reactions: 6 users
I just hope that psych does not become too competitive when I am ready to apply for residency...

if you are dead last in medical school, you are competitive for just about every psych program in the nation. It's not competitive and it'll never be competitive. For the vast majority of med students, psych is the wishy-washy stuff that is a 4-8 week vacation from "real" medicine.

I agree with others about the traveling. Just to add another anecdote: I spent 4 wks on a camping/road trip from Spain to Italy and back. I spent a total of 750 Euros (~$1000). Add in a budget air trip to Spain (~$700 from the East coast)... let's just say it wasn't $10k/wk like you are imagining. That's not much more than you would spend just living at an apartment in one place.

At least you are getting some perspective so now you won't judge your colleagues who put traveling as a priority. I would prefer to spend the extra money on traveling as opposed to clothes, video games, pets, etc. etc. Heck I was spending about ~$300/mo + rent in one of the biggest cities in Europe- if you budget right and don't mind a shoebox apartment shared between 4 people, you can save TONS to travel. Oh yeah and I'm a light weight so a night out doesn't cost me much, which helps.

So, no, you don't have to be rich to go on trips to Europe.

There's a stark difference between pessimism and realism. "Just do what you have to do and keep quiet." contributes to why some specialties are less than favorable these days, not to mention that if it weren't for the feedback from others who have already walked the path, there'd be many more disillusioned physicians. It's incumbent on the reader of these forums to develop the mental and emotional maturity to parse the information presented here so they can make informed decisions.

Of course, and frankly, with all online forums, I have noticed that the information being presented or discussed contrasts sharply with the reality of it all, so I can't even trust what's said on here. Talking to people face-to-face and finding out information through other avenues always works positively for me. People making opinions and ranting on forums like this one is definitely not in anyone's best interest. Personal experience has made me discover that one, and I'm grateful for the maturity that has brought me.

Fact is, if you want something bad enough and have the motivation and interest to do it, you will dismiss these people and their negative comments in the blink of an eye. What you claim to be the "reality" of medical school, even if it may be pessimistic, could be optimistic for certain people. And those people actually could immensely enjoy whatever it is others are complaining about. Take it day by day and get through it. It's really a simple philosophy.

And P.S.: The United States is a capitalistic society, meaning that we have a division of social classes based on wealth and the pursuit of profit. You can't approach medical school with only the "serving others" approach. In fact, I find the very notion of pursuing medicine (with everything the profession stands for) to be at odds with the system in place here in the United States. With a society like the USA's, there must be an element of selfish interest involved if you are to actually survive on your own. The key is in striking a balance between serving self and serving others.

Last edited by a moderator:
I second this. Banging dumb college girls is only fun for so long and when you are a dumb college kid yourself. That life gets old fast. Eventually you mature and realize that there is more to life than this. Your enjoyment starts to come from healthier things with a little more substance. There are only so many babes you can bang before it's just another girls, just another night, just another drink. I don't miss that life one bit.

Then you advance in life and realize just how fun it is banging college dudes lolz

if you are dead last in medical school, you are competitive for just about every psych program in the nation. It's not competitive and it'll never be competitive. For the vast majority of med students, psych is the wishy-washy stuff that is a 4-8 week vacation from "real" medicine.

I don't think that's fair to say, and psych doesn't deserve a bad rep. Viewing the manner of some of the responses on this forum, I think psych is needed now more than ever.

I come from a lower class family (my dad is a truck driver) and I get no income support from my family at all. I have traveled every break during med school. It's all about budgeting and not wanting to stay at the nicest places, do the most expensive things, etc. I have had a great time during med school. I have worked many jobs since I was 15 and I can tell you, there is nothing worse than working in a job you hate, even if you have a ton of free time. I will take 80 hours of med school anyday over 20 hours of a job I hate. I wake up everyday excited to go to school, see patients, and learn. Breaks are just a bonus because I truly enjoy the time that I am in school. On the contrary, many of my friends who are out working their high 5 figure to low six figure salaries hate their lives and live for their free time. The ends of their vacations/weekends are always anxiety producing because they know that they have to go back to a job that they hate. This is not the case for med school.

I gotta say that you're an inspiration for those who also come from a lower class family and/or have no financial support from family. Although people like to complain about so much student loan debt, if it wasn't for that, medical school would not be possible. If it's something you're truly passionate about, no amount of debt should phase you for the greater payoff at the end (provided you stick through it, of course).

If it's something you're truly passionate about, no amount of debt should phase you for the greater payoff at the end (provided you stick through it, of course).

Agreed. At the end of the day, medical school is a great opportunity that I am extremely thankful and honored to be a part of. All the debt, work, studying, testing, early mornings, etc. are completely worth it. I love it and wouldn't trade it for any other career.

Agreed. At the end of the day, medical school is a great opportunity that I am extremely thankful and honored to be a part of. All the debt, work, studying, testing, early mornings, etc. are completely worth it. I love it and wouldn't trade it for any other career.

That's exactly how I envision med school to be, and I haven't even applied yet. So if what you're saying is really true, then I'm going to have a blast. Maybe it's time to come out of the closet and say that I'm an academic masochist.

That's exactly how I envision med school to be, and I haven't even applied yet. So if what you're saying is really true, then I'm going to have a blast. Maybe it's time to come out of the closet and say that I'm an academic masochist.

Just keep up with your life outside of school and make sure that med school doesn't take your soul and you'll be just fine ;)

You need to learn the difference between an open discussion of the low-competitive nature of psych, and someone bashing psych.

@notbobtrustme did the former. No one is saying psych isn't an important field.

I respectfully disagree. Saying "psych is the wishy-washy stuff" has a demeaning connotation to it.

Medical school was one of the best things to ever happen to me. Believe it or not, there really are people out there who enjoy all four years!!!

I absolutely LOVED the pre-clinical years. It helped that I freaking obsessed over Biochemistry, Anatomy, Microbiology and Physiology. I loved it so much, I went back to TA those courses! Life is easier than most people whine about during those years. Your SOLE goal is learn and study. How much easier can that be? I was even able to hold down a small part time job with Kaplan (I worked about 10hrs/week). Yes it is competitive, yes you are surrounded by high achievers and yes the material is high in volume and difficult to master. But, honestly, you don't have any real responsibilities. Most of my classmates were able to pass and still have a life outside of school.

The clinical years were also phenomenal. I found that it tends to be easier for those who have held jobs before. The ones that struggled the most were those who were socially awkward or didn't realized that no one gave a crap what their opinion was. This was definitely the most difficult year in medical school but like any job, there are rules. The number one rule in third year? Be easy to get along with. Why? Your evaluations are subjective. There is nothing you can do about it and complaining won't change anything. So learn the rules and play the game. Bring your personality. There is nothing worse than being around a rude/awkward/lazy medical student (I have witnessed this as a resident). My poor friends who came from these liberal arts schools where all their opinions matter; what a culture shock for them!

It sounds awful doesn't it? Well, remember, you get to LEARN MEDICINE. Finally, after all that studying, you put what you learned to use in a clinical setting. You realize the subtleties of medicine they can't teach in a classroom. You learn that while it is great that someone can memorize the entire differential list to a symptom, really, you need the most likely disease states to work with. You learn to do procedures. You learn to interact with patients. You learn to interact with nurses and other support staff. I think some people fail to realize that third year is NOT just about learning the medicine, it is about learning how to work in a medical profession. It is about how to communicate with your colleagues. It is about learning how to gather evidence (history and physical), putting a treatment course into action (assessment and plan) and if needed, providing an argument for others to help you (consults, nursing orders).

So do I regret medical school? Heck no! I would seriously do it all over again if I absolutely had to (though I would like to avoid that scenario as I value my time). Could I do ANYTHING else? Absolutely not. There is so much more to just being a doctor. You could choose that route if you want to: getting your degree, doing your residency and working for the weekend. There is nothing wrong with that. But you can choose to do other things like research, teaching, writing, politics, consulting etc.

I am saying this as a senior resident nearing the end of my residency. I do not think I am a rare entity. I wholeheartedly believe there are plenty others who think similarly. Misery breeds complaints and complaints need to be heard which turn into threads. Who wants to read a post about how great someone's day was? Boring! So don't be dishearted premeds and soon to be MS1s. Life in medicine is what you make of it. You will not love everything about medical school or even the practice of medicine. But there will be specific pockets that you will fit well in. Find them and embrace it. You will find that it is not all despair and frustration as toted in this forum.

Reactions: 15 users
Medical school was one of the best things to ever happen to me. Believe it or not, there really are people out there who enjoy all four years!!!

I absolutely LOVED the pre-clinical years. It helped that I freaking obsessed over Biochemistry, Anatomy, Microbiology and Physiology. I loved it so much, I went back to TA those courses! Life is easier than most people whine about during those years. Your SOLE goal is learn and study. How much easier can that be? I was even able to hold down a small part time job with Kaplan (I worked about 10hrs/week). Yes it is competitive, yes you are surrounded by high achievers and yes the material is high in volume and difficult to master. But, honestly, you don't have any real responsibilities. Most of my classmates were able to pass and still have a life outside of school.

The clinical years were also phenomenal. I found that it tends to be easier for those who have held jobs before. The ones that struggled the most were those who were socially awkward or didn't realized that no one gave a crap what their opinion was. This was definitely the most difficult year in medical school but like any job, there are rules. The number one rule in third year? Be easy to get along with. Why? Your evaluations are subjective. There is nothing you can do about it and complaining won't change anything. So learn the rules and play the game. Bring your personality. There is nothing worse than being around a rude/awkward/lazy medical student (I have witnessed this as a resident). My poor friends who came from these liberal arts schools where all their opinions matter; what a culture shock for them!

It sounds awful doesn't it? Well, remember, you get to LEARN MEDICINE. Finally, after all that studying, you put what you learned to use in a clinical setting. You realize the subtleties of medicine they can't teach in a classroom. You learn that while it is great that someone can memorize the entire differential list to a symptom, really, you need the most likely disease states to work with. You learn to do procedures. You learn to interact with patients. You learn to interact with nurses and other support staff. I think some people fail to realize that third year is NOT just about learning the medicine, it is about learning how to work in a medical profession. It is about how to communicate with your colleagues. It is about learning how to gather evidence (history and physical), putting a treatment course into action (assessment and plan) and if needed, providing an argument for others to help you (consults, nursing orders).

So do I regret medical school? Heck no! I would seriously do it all over again if I absolutely had to (though I would like to avoid that scenario as I value my time). Could I do ANYTHING else? Absolutely not. There is so much more to just being a doctor. You could choose that route if you want to: getting your degree, doing your residency and working for the weekend. There is nothing wrong with that. But you can choose to do other things like research, teaching, writing, politics, consulting etc.

I am saying this as a senior resident nearing the end of my residency. I do not think I am a rare entity. I wholeheartedly believe there are plenty others who think similarly. Misery breeds complaints and complaints need to be heard which turn into threads. Who wants to read a post about how great someone's day was? Boring! So don't be dishearted premeds and soon to be MS1s. Life in medicine is what you make of it. You will not love everything about medical school or even the practice of medicine. But there will be specific pockets that you will fit well in. Find them and embrace it. You will find that it is not all despair and frustration as toted in this forum.

Completely agree with your post. Just curious, what specialty are you a resident in?

Nope, can't wait to graduate.

I would rather make money than be billed tuition.