Is a Pre-DO student less likely to be a 'gunner' than a Pre-MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MaggieD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't know if this is a perceived difference or not, but I sometimes feel as if those of us who are Pre-DO are a bit less high-strung about things than our Pre-MD colleagues. I am by nature a very non-competitive person; I hate competing and comparing myself to others. I like to think that as a Pre-DO student, I'm turning away from the "gunner" stereotype of a pre-med student. I often browse the Pre-Allo forum and it sometimes seems that people get so caught up in having a GPA of 3.9 and getting into a top 20 school. (Maybe thats just the kind of people that post on the board - not trying to stereotype here). I never feel like I would fit in among them. I don't enjoy research, my academic record is anything but impeccable, and I'm older than most of them.

Does anyone else share this opinion? Has anyone been turned off by the competitiveness of the Pre-Allopathic world? Or is this just all in my head?

Members don't see this ad.

DITTO-
many d.o. students are non-trads and have had another career already and only need to prove things to themselves. that being said, I know many non-gunner md applicants out there too, but they are the exception, not the rule.

Haven't had enough contact with "pre-DOs" to really make a fair comparison, but by and large, most everyone at my school is really cool and laid back. But of course our school also has a lot of older students as well. I don't think one can really generalize. While it's true that people on the allo board complain about having a 3.9, I think that in general, pre-MEDS as a whole tend to be competitive, whether they be "pre-DOs" or "pre-MDs." Also, while I think it's cool you aren't into research, I don't think it's fair to stereotype the people who WANT to do research as gunners or nerds with no lives. There are plenty of cool MD/PhDs at my school who are just as cool as the rest of us. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it depends on the class and the school. At my best friend's med school (DO), the class of 2005 is very laid back, very few gunner-types and they all work together to get a handle on the material. In the class of 2006, however, there are mainly gunners who like to work more independently and squabble about their grades with the instructors (her perception, not mine).

On the other hand, almost all of the horror stories I've heard have come from allo-students. I have a friend who graduated from Arizona a few years ago, and he told me that the class was brutal and most of the time, notes were only available in the library for a couple hours before someone stole them.

Personally, I agree with emedpa. Most of us who are following the DO route to doctorhood are a little older (and some of us are more mature!) and a lot less likely to play those kind of games and (I hope) a lot more likey to help out our fellow students.

You know it's funny that you should bring this up, because I was thinking the exact same thing recently after reading some of the Pre-M.D. board. Sample topics include "If I get a B in G. Chem am I still going to be able to get into medical school?" and "My GPA really dipped my junior year. It went from a 4.0 to a 3.75. Do I still have a chance?" and my other favorite: post low GPAs and interviews. One girl posted that she had the "crappy" GPA of 3.3, but an MCAT score of 12-VS, 15-PS, and 13-B and somehow she managed to get an interview! WOW!!
I was alternately disgusted and amused. You've got to be kidding me. I know that it's not fair to generalize, but I am very glad that all the toolboxes tend to stay on the MD forum and leave us cool, laid-back older types over here!

Originally posted by Elysium
Sample topics include "If I get a B in G. Chem am I still going to be able to get into medical school?" and "My GPA really dipped my junior year. It went from a 4.0 to a 3.75. Do I still have a chance?" and my other favorite: post low GPAs and interviews. One girl posted that she had the "crappy" GPA of 3.3, but an MCAT score of 12-VS, 15-PS, and 13-B and somehow she managed to get an interview! WOW!!
I was alternately disgusted and amused. You've got to be kidding me.

Being a 4th year DO student and having been on this website for the greater part of 4 years, there is about an equal representation of pre-DO and pre-MD students posing the above questions.

And medical students in general tend to be very competitive and type-A (comes with the territory). Older medical students may have less of that characteristic... but some of the fiercest gunners in my class were older...

Also, while I think it's cool you aren't into research, I don't think it's fair to stereotype the people who WANT to do research as gunners or nerds with no lives. There are plenty of cool MD/PhDs at my school who are just as cool as the rest of us.

I did'nt intend to imply that liking research meant you were a gunner - I linked it to the lower priority that DO schools place on it. Research is fine in its own right. I'm sure for some people its incredibly stimulating. It's just never been attractive to me and I won't do it just to please an adcom.

Back to the point, though, it makes me feel a little bit more of an individual in this process to be a "Pre-DO" rather than a typical pre-med. The Osteopathic philosophy just fits with me and my way of thinking - I don't know a better way to describe it. I'm a non-competitive person, and on this message board, and around other Pre-DO students, I don't feel as if my academic record and EC's are on trial.

Then again, maybe I'm just blowing smoke. I won't even be applying til this summer. My real intention in starting this thread was to give the board some better topics than the drivel we've had to tolerate lately with the "DO vs. MD" and ramz's diatribes.

Happy Holidays

I'm sure the gunner mentality will come in handy come residency time. :p

The first time I talked with my pre med advisor he said I was the first non-obessive compulsive pre-med student he's ever met.

Im not very high strung about most things. I expect a lot from myself, but it doesn't affect the way Im in class and with other people in my class.

Just when we thought he'd vanished, mdjd sticks his ugly head out of his rat hole once again.

I believe that these notions of which track would "house" more gunner attitudes vs. less gunner attitudes serves no purpose.

I say that becasue I have met students from both backgrounds (MD/DO) who exhibited both attitudes slackers and gunners.

Each person will have there own comment based on their experiecne and which region they are located in so there is no way to really guage which one has more of the other (even if you do a survey).

I get the feeling that some see being a gunner as a negative..I certainly dont. There are different types of gunners..one should be careful on who they place in a box...

One thing that bothers me about the pre-med (md or do i guess) is that you have to take what people say with a grain of salt. Some people moan and complain about a 32 mcat score or that they only have 4 years clinical experience :rolleyes: -- truth be told they got a 23 on the mcat and have 4 days of clinical time-- What makes them do this??? Are they are just saying all this to make themselves feel better or do they feel this puts them at an advantage or intimidates the next guy?

Members don't see this ad :)
MDJD, did a D.O. murder your family? You've got a lot of anger. There's nothing wrong with stating an opinion, you're entitled. But you give no reasons to back your opinions up. If you aspire to become a lawyer as well, you might as well back up your statements with some relavent evidence. Your statements are about as meaningful as me starting a post saying that the color blue is better than red. Until then, my objection is sustained. And you better bring some better evidence than undergraduate GPA and MCAT scores, that argument has been played out.

Originally posted by mdjd
Better yet, let's make JP a moderator so that he can rid this board of any remarks he doesn't agree with.

I'm starting my own religion, too.

Wanna join?

Oh...and to add to the original topic...ALL premeds are neurotic in their own way.

Most pre-DOs and DO students are less neurotic than the MD counterparts, only because when you're the best, there is no reason to be insecure.

Just go DO (or, MD with a little bit more training, as I like to call it).

Originally posted by MaggieD
I don't know if this is a perceived difference or not, but I sometimes feel as if those of us who are Pre-DO are a bit less high-strung about things than our Pre-MD colleagues.

Pre-DO students? At my undergrad school (UMiami), this term didn't even exist. Everyone was striving to get into an MD school. Those at the bottom half of the class weren't able to get into any MD school so they went to NOVA. I'm not knocking them because if I hadn't gotten into an allopathic school I probably would have applied next year for osteopathic. However, to say that all DO students are somehow more qualified, laid-back and mature than their MD counterparts is crazy. No doubt that there are some individuals that preferred the DO route and chose to pursue it over the MD route, but this is definitely not the majority. Everyone that I know who is in a DO school is there because they couldn't get into an MD school. Of course, I don't know EVERY DO student.:D

No Canes you don't.

I have been amazingly blessed with an acceptance at both Nova and UM. ( and believe me I am amazed!). I am choosing Nova for a number of reasons.

Originally posted by CANES2006
Everyone that I know who is in a DO school is there because they couldn't get into an MD school. Of course, I don't know EVERY DO student.:D

I would say you don't know much of anything...let alone not knowing the majority of DO students.

Just my humble opinion.

Yeah I know that there are highstrung pre MD and DO students, but honestly, I can't help but feel like the DO students are more "real". Maybe it's because they're older or more diverse or have been knocked around in school and know that everything doesn't come easy. It honestly is exhausting to be on the pre-MD board and read those posts. Compare this forum and the pre-MD forum and I think you will see that there are obvious differences.

Also, I think its a misnomer to think that all DO schools are just back-up schools for the kids that couldn't get into MD schools. I'm interviewing at MD schools, but I'm still very into the DO philosophy and the people that I've met here on this forum that are DOs/DO students. The people on SDN should be proud of the image they project of DO physicians. I would be honored to be among them.

Well back to the gunner thing,

I think the word is used too liberally. I thought a gunner was anyone who fought tooth-and-nail to be the top of the class by whatever means necessary including illegal/immoral acts such as cheating, moving tags, lying about grades to intimidate classmates, starting rumors, etc. You guys are making anyone who tries hard to do well sound like a bad person. It is perfectly OK to be competitive and try to do well. What is not OK is to let competitiveness be your excuse to be an ass to your classmates only to ingratiate yourself. My view of a gunner is one who reaches the top through ill-gotten gains (ie. nagging professors for points), not someone who reaches the top by trying to "outperform" his or her classmates on test day. I feel like my NSU homies are very cooperative in learning the material and very competitive in taking the tests, and I have yet to run across a "gunner", as I define them.

On the DO vs. MD thing.... AGAIN,

I look at it this way, and I challenge you to do the same. Both are doctors, both treat ppl, both get paid, both get respect, DO's have more honed palpation skills and can do things that MD's have to farm out to others, MD's get to do more research and sell more diet products on late night TV, DO's get to come first in the phonebook, MD's get more pages in the phonebook, etc, etc, etc. I say let the patients decide if one doctor is better than the other. I'd wager the doctor with the best bedside manner gets their vote. And I'd also bet that they wouldn't give three sh|ts what her college/med school admissions stats were. As such, superiority/inferiority/equality will not be decided in some pre-med chat forum thingy by ppl who aren't even med students yet, but in the field where it counts.

The only drawback to some of the DO schools taking ppl with lower gpa's and such is that those ppl increase the numbers who don't pass the boards...But guess what, those ppl also don't become doctors! So the stupid argument that DO's are underachievers because their school gave some applicants with weaker academics a chance to prove themselves is moot. The way it works out, if someone only has a B average rather than the "overachieving" B+ average MDjD is so proud of, then they get a chance to prove they can still do the med school curriculum in spite of their freshman year spent in a drunken stupor rather than in class with their Pre-gunner friends ...hmmm Some of these ppl might still not perform well enough and are either booted from the program (then go foreign MD) or don't pass the boards and choose another profession. The ones who were "underachievers" with only a B average that do step up and perform get to be doctors and beat MDJD out of his residency slot because they also were chosen for their other redeeming qualities and experiences, which are all too often (notice how I didn't say always) lacking in our lab rat counterparts. Case(s) in point; all the 23 year old idiot savant MD's running around out there doing research because they have no life-experience to enable them to relate to actual patients. Don't get me wrong, each person has her place, and I think that if she wants to do research...have at it so I don't have to do it.

I also like to break it down like this:

DO's training qualifies them to:
Use all treatment modalities available to MD's and DO's
Use all diagnostic methods available to MD's and DO's
Do both MD and DO residencies
Be a member of AMA and/or AOA for lobbying power
Do Research

MD's training qualifies them to:
Use only treatment modalities available to MD's
Use only diagnostic methods available to MD's
Do only MD residencies
Be a member of AMA only for lobbying power
Do research

In the world of options, more is better and clearly Osteopathic medical training gives one many more options.

Here are a couple of examples of how the only difference is that DO's learn more:

Harvard (1st year)
Critical Reading of the Medical Literature
The Human Body
Genetics, Embryology and Reproduction
Immunology, Microbiology and Infectious Disease
Principles of Pharmacology
Patient-Doctor Year I
Chemistry and Biology of the Cell
Integrated Human Physiology
Molecular Biology of Human Disease

KCOM (1st year)
Gross Anatomy I, II and III
Osteopathic Theory and Methods I, II and III
Radiology
The Complete DOctor
Interviewing Skills
Physical Exam Skills
Public Health
Preventive Medicine
Medical Ethics
Human Sexuality
Biochemistry I and II
Clinical Experiences
Histology and Embryology I and II
Human Nutrition
Immunology
Medical Microbiology
Neuroscience I
Neuroanatomy
Neurophysiology
Neurology
Pathology I
Physiology I and II

Ahh Slingblade....... there's my Karate master when I needed him. I think it's important to realize that DO's have more fun too. I happen to know for a fact that we enjoy ourselves a lot more than that other medical school in south florida. I think MDJD is fourteen years old anyway-- definitely not worth it. He still hasn't backed up one word he said with any legitimate point that has any bearing in the present.

Originally posted by JPHazelton
I would say you don't know much of anything...let alone not knowing the majority of DO students.

Just my humble opinion.

You don't have to be so nasty. This just confirms what MD students often believe of DO students: you guys have an inferiority complex.

Originally posted by CANES2006
Everyone that I know who is in a DO school is there because they couldn't get into an MD school. Of course, I don't know EVERY DO student.:D

Canes

Considering your original post, I don't think that JP was being nasty at all.

Don't be upset canes just because we're having more fun here at nova than you guys are down there. What do I have to feel inferior about. What does M.D. education have that D.O. education doesn't? I think that you are the one with the complex. I think a lot of M.D.'s are upset at D.O.'s because they are going to be doctors making the same salaries, yet they also had fun in college or lived a prior life with meaning doing something interesting. By the way... I woulnd't hold too much esteem for getting an A as opposed to a B in an UNDERGRAD biology class. Or an 11 as oppoed to a 10 on your Physical Sciences section of the MCAT, it really doesn't do much for me or a lot of people. Mommy can put in on the refrigerator, but you'll still be a bore. (yawn) This whole conversation has made me tired...Slingblade... let's go get a brew...MDJD, you're invited if you don't talk.

and the SDN award for "most sweeping generalizations in a thread" goes to.......... :p

I think by now everyone knows DO's are the best at everything. Can we stop crying now?

I'd like to accept this award on behalf of all my D.O. bretheren and cool M.D.'s out there... The lord, you were always there with me, J-Lo, I love ya baby!! This award is not just about me... it's about all of us... All of the people who don't think they're great, they know they are. (hugs and kisses)...

You guys are rockstars.

Hope That Helps.