How common is it to have to go to rotation sites further than driving distance from the school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RespectTheChemistry

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I saw a post on the DO med student forum to this end. It worried me about having to be away from my spouse for too long.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Highly variable depending on the school. My rotation site was literally 1,000 miles from the school. Other people stayed there all 4 years. There’s usually a lottery of some sort at most schools.

Reactions: 1 user
Touro Nevada has all rotations within 30 miles.

Members don't see this ad :)
My school has rotation sites in our city, several throughout the state, and 4 in other states over 500 miles away. The school decides where you go based on a rank order list and takes exemption requests for married students with working spouses and/or children in school, students with medical issues that need to stay near their doctors, religious exemptions, and military requests (one of our sites offers experiences on a military base).

Matching to clinical rotation sites is school specific though, so if you’re just applying ask about that on interview day. It was important to me to know that the school would allow me to stay in the city with my family (my spouse works here and my kids are school age) and not separate us.

very common for a lot of DO schools

Very common, my school has sites from coast to coast. We use a ranking/lottery system and about half the class stays in the same city as the school.

Reactions: 1 users
My school has rotation sites in our city, several throughout the state, and 4 in other states over 500 miles away. The school decides where you go based on a rank order list and takes exemption requests for married students with working spouses and/or children in school, students with medical issues that need to stay near their doctors, religious exemptions, and military requests (one of our sites offers experiences on a military base).

Matching to clinical rotation sites is school specific though, so if you’re just applying ask about that on interview day. It was important to me to know that the school would allow me to stay in the city with my family (my spouse works here and my kids are school age) and not separate us.

That's a good idea. I'll do that. I am glad at least some places take people's different circumstances into account.

Last edited: