Irish-American Citizen. How do I apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

omarosa47

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I am starting to seriously consider going to medical school in Ireland, but I am having a difficult time figuring out how I would apply. I have a dual American-Irish citizenship which makes this process slightly confusing. I moved to the US from Ireland when I was 4 and derived my American citizenship through my father when I was 10.

I know that I no longer have resident status in Ireland, but how does my citizenship/non-resident status affect my application process? Do I apply through Atlantic Bridge, as an EU citizen, or can I choose? I can't seem to find any answers online, and any advice would be appreciated!

P.S. I'm not sure if this is relevant but if I were to go to medical school for Ireland chances are that I would stay there for my career, and not move back to the US for my residency.

Members don't see this ad.

You apply through the Atlantic Bridge as a non-EU.

Hello!

I am starting to seriously consider going to medical school in Ireland, but I am having a difficult time figuring out how I would apply. I have a dual American-Irish citizenship which makes this process slightly confusing. I moved to the US from Ireland when I was 4 and derived my American citizenship through my father when I was 10.

I know that I no longer have resident status in Ireland, but how does my citizenship/non-resident status affect my application process? Do I apply through Atlantic Bridge, as an EU citizen, or can I choose? I can't seem to find any answers online, and any advice would be appreciated!

P.S. I'm not sure if this is relevant but if I were to go to medical school for Ireland chances are that I would stay there for my career, and not move back to the US for my residency.

I'm not sure if you know the new rules but they are saying now that EU citizens who didn't get into Ireland through the local CAO process (aka all the Atlantic Bridge people) are now going to be ranked after local CAO process Irish citizens when it comes to internships. It might mean that you won't get a spot, it more likely means you won't get a spot you like. It used to be that all EU citizens were considered the same, but now they are distinguishing between EU passport holders and native Irish students.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/irelan...rns-over-international-classmates-370446.html

You might be able to go to the UK for foundation years but again its not really ideal.

Needless to say i'm sure the classes in Ireland now are probably under some tension.