IPPE site restrictions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Does your school restrict your IPPE sites to locations you have never worked?

• My school restricts sites in this manner

Votes: 21 65.6%
  • My school does not restrict sites in this manner

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • I have no clue but I wanted to vote anyway

Votes: 5 15.6%

• Total voters

bananaface

Pharmacy Supernerd
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone else's school not allowing them to do IPPE rotations at sites they have previously been employed?

Members don't see this ad.

Is anyone else's school not allowing them to do IPPE rotations at sites they have previously been employed?

I know some restrict it based on current employment. Restriction based on previous employment at a site is way too restrictive in some cases. There's only a handful of hospitals in certain areas, and if someone did basic work for the hospital before, he or she is now restricted from ever going back as a learning experience? Doesn't make sense doing that. I would say that with regards to community pharmacies (which usually outnumber hospital), every attempt should be made to gain experience at a different site (same chain's fine), unless there's some sort of extenuating circumstances.

if at all possible they place you elsewhere.

Members don't see this ad :)
UIC is stricter. They say you can't go there if you ever worked in the pharmacy's department. There are exemptions. Let's say you work at a Walgreen's Pharmacy. You decide you want to do a corporate or WHI rotation with them; that is fine.

If we've been paid by a pharmacy we can't do our IPPE there.

EXCEPT if you were just hired for the summer, you can do your IPPE there this summer (and they consider it ok because it's a "new" experience).

We can work at the same company, but not same store. Also, for us hospital people, we can do rotations at our hospital but the preceptor can't be our boss.

At ACP, students cannot work at the same store for IPPE, but can work within the same chain at a different store.

At Buffalo you can't do your IPPEs in any of the chain stores you work at.