iPad vs physical books

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ilovecostco

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
New R1 and still trying to figure out the best way to study. Any suggestions relating about sticking with books vs downloading them onto an iPad?

Members don't see this ad.

Current PGY1 but literally had this exact same question as I pondered life during my IM night float... I would imagine it's all personal preference, but it may be nice to have the easy ability to annotate on an iPad. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Personal preference, but if you can tolerate reading electronically, that is hands down the way to go. It’s far more convenient and economical than lugging around books. Several residency programs have electronic books saved as PDFs and/or institution specific resources on shared drives that you can download onto your tablet. I’ve always been a hard copy book fan, but finally gave way to a tablet when it came to studying for the CORE exam.

Reactions: 1 users
IPad is the way to go. You can lug your whole library around with you. I still had a physical copy of crack the core and core radiology but even those I wound up reading a digital copy most of the time. Another benifit of digital copies is it makes it easier to grab images if you want to use them in presentions and such. (Or flash cards if you are a flash card person) That and being able to do a text search when trying to find information on a specific topic.

Reactions: 1 user